QB competition

mynmisoli

It was frightening to see the "deer in the headlights" look from Nate on Sunday. That is the mark of a player that not only has no confidence, but is in no way prepared to be in that role. Perhaps it is on the offensive coaches for not properly preparing him. More likely, it is a sign that he is just not able to process what he is seeing. After watching the game a second time, it looked to me like he never previously saw any of what he was seeing in the game. Like he was playing in his first football game ever. It became worse play after play. By the time he was pulled, he looked totally befuddled.

On the other hand, Josh Allen, who didn't even get 1st team reps in practice, looked cool and was clearly processing what he was seeing in front of him. Never-mind the result, the mental part of the game was without doubt Nate's undoing. Yet the fears of throwing Josh to the wolves suddenly became less worrisome to me when I saw how well he kept his poise, moved around and even threw the ball away when there wasn't anything there for him. I didn't see his footwork clearly, and whether he bailed early on the sacks too well. I did see once that Josh stepped into a sack. Just once. Yet Nate was lost at the moment of the snap. You could just see it in his muscular actions and his demeanor. Not a good sign fo his future.

Finally, since we heard how smart Nate is, how well composed he is in practices, and how well he prepares, it was shocking to see how lost he was in the game. From a distance, I would say he is finished as an NFL QB. Someone that has lost composure this badly will almost never be able to recover from it, especially for his current team. Perhaps the team knew this and that's why they showed such a lackluster effort. For those coaches that didn't already admit this, they have no denial of it now. IMO, Nate's NFL career is over.

So endeth this QB competition.

Edited by clayboy54
  • Like (+1) 1

Peterman's physical skillset was never going to be his strong suit, but the thinking (hope) was that he would be long on QB smarts and, with the help of his QB coach and OC, the mental components necessary for playing the position. Unfortunately he looked yesterday pretty much (tho not quite) the same player we saw in LA last year. I'm not sure exactly how much is on him specifically and how much on the WR group and on the OC but it's also clear (and perhaps not surprising given his lack of experience) that he has not acclimated at all to real game in season action. I thought the protection yesterday was good enuf to allow him to make better use of it than he was able to do so I actually did not see this as the main problem.

Having been early retired from his only two regular season starts, I have a hard time seeing McD starting him vs the Chargers (tho it might happen). My concern though is that mixing Allen in with a sub par group and a poor game plan may jeapordize his development. Just as Peterman looked like the same player we saw last year, when Allen has struggled he has looked a lot like the guy he was at WYO (which is not how you want him to look). 

48 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Almost every article I read on Peterman this offseason is he looked sharp.  I think he absolutely had us fooled.

You must not have read many articles.  Several continued to comment about how he did not carry over his momentum from OTAs and had plenty of ups and downs in camp.

Rest of this isn’t directed at you, just further commenting.  

If he had consistently looked sharp, he would have won the job early.  But it came down to the wire against a guy who struggled in AJM and against a rookie the coaches didn’t want to have to start week 1...yet this lingered to after the 53 roster cut down.  

I continued to point out he was fools gold, he had no time against real starters where our Offense was putrid in games 2 and 3 against ones.   He doesn’t make NFL throws, he had dropped INTs,  his last 2 appearances were against scrubs and even the TD pass to Nick was a bad pass that almost cost us a gimme TD on a broken play by the D.

But everyome kept saying “80% completion” over and over while refusing to use any context to how those stats were compiled.  

Just like how all offseason how I said Groy is NOT a quality starter, that the OL was already bad and now gonna be horrendous.  Yet people kept telling me the OL is fine and Groy is a starter.  I pointed out real Games where he was dominated and a liability, yet people pointed to OTAs and stuff to say Groy is good.  Then after facing a vanilla D in the first preseason game against partial starters, people doubled down on the OL being sharp.  

At some point I assume people will stop using preseason stats only to turn people into people who they are not.  Every year it’s the same thing.

Edited by Alphadawg7

55 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

The problem is that they didn't go get a vet. They got 3 guys with a total of 6 starts. They decided to wager on all young 'upside' instead of bringing in at least one who has proven they can play a few games at QB without vomiting all over themselves.

This ^. We know the Bills called Bradford first thing in FA, but they didn’t want to / couldn’t pay him . All things being equal, no QB was coming here with virtually no WRs. It was a tough spot, but one they created and they failed to get a decent vet QB to hold the fort down until Allen is ready. Nathan Peterman is a complete joke of a QB. 

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

You must not have read many articles.  Several continued to comment about how he did not carry over his momentum from OTAs and had plenty of ups and downs in camp.  If he had consistently looked sharp, he would have won the job early.  But it came down to the wire against a guy who struggled in AJM and against a rookie the coaches didn’t want to have to start week 1...yet this lingered to after the 53 roster cut down.  

I continued to point out he was fools gold, he had no time against real starters where our Offense was putrid in games 2 and 3 against ones.   He doesn’t make NFL throws, he had dropped INTs,  his last 2 appearances were against scrubs and even the TD pass to Nick was a bad pass that almost cost us a gimme TD on a broken play by the D.

But everyome kept saying “80% completion” over and over while refusing to use any context to how those stats were compiled.  

Just like how all offseason how I said Groy is NOT a quality starter, that the OL was already bad and now gonna be horrendous.  Yet people kept telling me the OL is fine and Groy is a starter.  I pointed out real Games where he was dominated and a liability, yet people pointed to OTAs and stuff to say Groy is good.  Then after facing a vanilla D in the first preseason game against partial starters, people doubled down on the OL being sharp.  

At some point I assume people will stop using preseason stats only to turn people into people who they are not.  Every year it’s the same thing.

I wasn't referencing the preseason stats.  I only reference preseason stats when someone is just really bad.  If they're playing well, they should with a vanilla playbook.

I read almost every training camp report about the QB competition.  Nate had the most positive days overall according to these reports/twitter recaps.

I wasn't very high on Nate coming into this year.  I didn't think he had a chance to start.  I think what happened (just my opinion) is they wanted AJM to win the competition but AJM never took a hold of if.  They want Allen to sit and learn.  While AJM didn't seize the position, that's when Nate kept staying around.  

I can't critique the offensive line unless is clearly obvious.  So I wasn't sure if Groy was going to be good or not.  

Do you think he could start at Guard and we would be better with Bodine at center?

56 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

No one (except SaviorPeterman) thought he was good, even McBeane which is why we took Allen but I don't think we expected an even worse performance that he had at LA.  

I think he had more interceptions than completions against the chargers , so this game was sadly his best performance.

5 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I wasn't referencing the preseason stats.  I only reference preseason stats when someone is just really bad.  If they're playing well, they should with a vanilla playbook.

I read almost every training camp report about the QB competition.  Nate had the most positive days overall according to these reports/twitter recaps.

I wasn't very high on Nate coming into this year.  I didn't think he had a chance to start.  I think what happened (just my opinion) is they wanted AJM to win the competition but AJM never took a hold of if.  They want Allen to sit and learn.  While AJM didn't seize the position, that's when Nate kept staying around.  

I can't critique the offensive line unless is clearly obvious.  So I wasn't sure if Groy was going to be good or not.  

Do you think he could start at Guard and we would be better with Bodine at center?

PS:  I updated my post before you replied but you had already started to reply so it quoted it as original.  I made the note that most of my post was NOT in response to you, just me commenting further on the overall topic.  

As far as the WB stuff you said, yeah I felt the same that AJM was gonna won the competition.  However, while I totally agree with you that AJM definitely didn’t seize the job, I think nate won the job for 2 reasons:

1.  Nate never faced a starting D, and no Carolina doesn’t count for anyone who is gonna reply to say he did.  This offense was eaten alive against starting D’s, so Nate never got the chance to show how inept the offense is with him running it ins more realistic game situation.

2.  NP has zero trade value and Beane was able to fetch a 5th round pick for AJM.  Because AJM didn’t seize the job, they went ahead and took back a trade asset since they didn’t want to keep 3 QBs. Had they been able to trade NP for a 5th, I think they would have made trade too.

On your question about the OL, Groy is not a quality starter at C or G IMO.  I think moving him to G and letting Bodine play C isn’t going to make much a difference at all because Bodine sucks at C too.

Im not mad at Beane over the OL, it’s not like it’s his fault Wood had an injury force him into retirement or knew Richie was gonna go crazy and retire too.  You can only do so much in an off season, and Beane has us set with lots of picks (which many should be near the top of the round if we keep playing this bad) and toms of cap space to add some talent to the OL and at WR.  He did the right thing this year goin after the QB on O and D with Allen and Edmunds, and both are looking like they have bright futures.  Next year it’s about adding talent around them.  

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

PS:  I updated my post before you replied but you had already started to reply so it quoted it as original.  I made the note that most of my post was NOT in response to you, just me commenting further on the overall topic.  

As far as the WB stuff you said, yeah I felt the same that AJM was gonna won the competition.  However, while I totally agree with you that AJM definitely didn’t seize the job, I think nate won the job for 2 reasons:

1.  Nate never faced a starting D, and no Carolina doesn’t count for anyone who is gonna reply to say he did.  This offense was eaten alive against starting D’s, so Nate never got the chance to show how inept the offense is with him running it ins more realistic game situation.

2.  NP has zero trade value and Beane was able to fetch a 5th round pick for AJM.  Because AJM didn’t seize the job, they went ahead and took back a trade asset since they didn’t want to keep 3 QBs. Had they been able to trade NP for a 5th, I think they would have made trade too.

On your question about the OL, Groy is not a quality starter at C or G IMO.  I think moving him to G and letting Bodine play C isn’t going to make much a difference at all because Bodine sucks at C too.

Im not mad at Beane over the OL, it’s not like it’s his fault Wood had an injury force him into retirement or knew Richie was gonna go crazy and retire too.  You can only do so much in an off season, and Beane has us set with lots of picks (which many should be near the top of the round if we keep playing this bad) and toms of cap space to add some talent to the OL and at WR.  He did the right thing this year goin after the QB on O and D with Allen and Edmunds, and both are looking like they have bright futures.  Next year it’s about adding talent around them.  

So do you think any oline shuffling could help?  

Throw Teller to the wolves?  

Bodine isn't good but is he at least a slight upgrade over Groy?

Newhouse to guard to start but swing up outside if there's an injury?

1 hour ago, bmur66 said:

Like Mike Tyson said. Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.

I wish they would have kept Tyrod until Allen was ready

Didn't we use the Tyrod pick to trade up to get Allen?  I don't think we'd have Allen.

37 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

So do you think any oline shuffling could help?  

Throw Teller to the wolves?  

Bodine isn't good but is he at least a slight upgrade over Groy?

Newhouse to guard to start but swing up outside if there's an injury?

I don’t think any shuffle is gonna help

much, but I do think we need to get Teller out there at some point to see what he can do.  I don’t know if Bodine or Groy is better at center, I just know neither is any good and shouldn’t be a starter in the NFL.

I suspect we will likely see some shuffling across the OL in the early parts of the season while they try to find the “best” bad combo lol.

5 hours ago, Gigs said:

He’s a good Christian man like the HC...so he’s safe. Why else would McD have to “look at the tape” for a fair assessment? He’s giving him every chance in the world because he has a weakness for guys like that. 

See below. Best answer. Get over yourself

3 hours ago, BigBuff423 said:

When McD says he'll need to look at the tape, I suspect it's his way of saying, "Look, it's painfully obvious but I won't throw my QB under the bus in the media. Also, I need to tell him face-to-face that's he's done barring injury. Telling him now through you folks, isn't the kind of guy I am"....

In other words, what else should he say about a player in particular? If he tosses Nate to the wolves he loses that credibility with his locker room. He needs to tell Nate personally before he says anything publicly. It's amusing to me that many people don't understand that. Take any other job, if your boss went to the other co-workers, along with your family, friends and neighbors and told them, "Dude is demoted, he couldn't cut it", before he / she spoke to you directly, that would be insulting, right? In that case, suck it up and do your job or look elsewhere but in the NFL it affects the locker room which affects the games. So, you take the heat for not stating the obvious and then you tell him on Tuesday that it's Josh Allen time. 

IF he doesn't....then flame away, but until then - let's give him a chance to just be a decent human being. Nothing to do with the Christian stuff....just sound management principles in terms of handling people. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I don’t think any shuffle is gonna help

much, but I do think we need to get Teller out there at some point to see what he can do.  I don’t know if Bodine or Groy is better at center, I just know neither is any good and shouldn’t be a starter in the NFL.

I suspect we will likely see some shuffling across the OL in the early parts of the season while they try to find the “best” bad combo lol.

Would you say center is as bad as our guard play?

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

No one (except SaviorPeterman) thought he was good, even McBeane which is why we took Allen but I don't think we expected an even worse performance that he had at LA.  

you weren't paying attention.  Many here told you that it be this way. 

3 hours ago, mattynh said:

Mcdermott and Beane are determined to make their draft pick stick no matter how bad he is.  I mean the guy is good in shorts and preseason games....isnt that good enough?

McD wants to make his decision last year stick. His first bold move of his career and he was a laughing stock. He may just well go down trying to prove he was right.