QB competition

mynmisoli

How much more evidence does this front office need to determine that Peterman just isn't an NFL quarterback.  Not a starter, not a backup, not even a practice squad guy.  How much worse does he have to play!?  If he isn't off the payroll by the end of week 4, I really have to question the sanity of Beane and McDermott.  Forget that he was a draft pick and just cut ties with the guy.  When you have a guy this bad around the team, you make the team worse whether he plays or not.  Moore, Kaep,  Lynch, Mallett are all QBs that I'd rather see holding a clipboard for Allen than Pickerman.

• Like (+1) 8

3 hours ago, mynmisoli said:

How much more evidence does this front office need to determine that Peterman just isn't an NFL quarterback.  Not a starter, not a backup, not even a practice squad guy.  How much worse does he have to play!?  If he isn't off the payroll by the end of week 4, I really have to question the sanity of Beane and McDermott.  Forget that he was a draft pick and just cut ties with the guy.  When you have a guy this bad around the team, you make the team worse whether he plays or not.  Moore, Kaep,  Lynch, Mallett are all QBs that I'd rather see holding a clipboard for Allen than Pickerman.

Though I agree with you in the fact that NP may never be more than a so-so back up I kinda feel bad for the guy. For your first NFL start you get thrown to the wolves on the road against one of the better defenses while your team is in a playoff race.  No pressure. Then on opening day on the road you put him behind a Swiss cheese O line and an offense devoid of any real talent against another talented Defense. Awesome! All the while knowing you are nothing more than a sacrificial place holder keeping a seat warm before being discarded. I don't ever really feel bad for any pro athletes but I gotta admit this is close.

• Like (+1) 1

He’s a good Christian man like the HC...so he’s safe. Why else would McD have to “look at the tape” for a fair assessment? He’s giving him every chance in the world because he has a weakness for guys like that. 

• Like (+1) 1

I agree that the difference in talent between Allen and Peterman is real. I also agree that NP is not NFL starter material and JA should get all the starter reps (practice or game) under center even if he is only on one leg. But NP was capable in a backup role last year and I am happy to keep him there. He did outplay McCarron this preseason. So, I would not go so far as to get him off the payroll. Dont forget that the quarterback's struggles are in part due to (lack of)  OL and WR support. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gigs said:

He’s a good Christian man like the HC...so he’s safe. Why else would McD have to “look at the tape” for a fair assessment? He’s giving him every chance in the world because he has a weakness for guys like that. 

Thanks for saying this...my thought exactly. UGh!

When McD says he'll need to look at the tape, I suspect it's his way of saying, "Look, it's painfully obvious but I won't throw my QB under the bus in the media. Also, I need to tell him face-to-face that's he's done barring injury. Telling him now through you folks, isn't the kind of guy I am"....

In other words, what else should he say about a player in particular? If he tosses Nate to the wolves he loses that credibility with his locker room. He needs to tell Nate personally before he says anything publicly. It's amusing to me that many people don't understand that. Take any other job, if your boss went to the other co-workers, along with your family, friends and neighbors and told them, "Dude is demoted, he couldn't cut it", before he / she spoke to you directly, that would be insulting, right? In that case, suck it up and do your job or look elsewhere but in the NFL it affects the locker room which affects the games. So, you take the heat for not stating the obvious and then you tell him on Tuesday that it's Josh Allen time. 

IF he doesn't....then flame away, but until then - let's give him a chance to just be a decent human being. Nothing to do with the Christian stuff....just sound management principles in terms of handling people. 

5 hours ago, mynmisoli said:

I say sign a vet QB and get him here for 2-3 weeks to learn the offense and then cut Peterman.  The guy is not an NFL QB and has no business being on this team other Sean likes him,  as you mentioned other vets are out there but they would need 2-3 weeks to learn system.

What's more shocking is what has he done except for putting up mediocre stats (albeit better stats that were better then the other guys this preseason) in the preseason to earn the right to continue on as part of the roster even as a backup? What has he done that's so great that most other available QBs couldn't give the Bill's? His only advantage is knowing the playbook already, sign someone now and give them 2-3 weeks and that advantage is gone.

I do believe we may hear an announcement soon that the Bill's are signing Lynch this week.

6 hours ago, mynmisoli said:

Let's try and remember that Peterman has exactly the skill set the Bills need right now.  Namely, he's expendable - getting him killed behind this line protects Allen.

I understand the concept of a QB competition. But the bills butchered this. They acted like they have some air-tight process for Allen. So they go get a vet. They let all 3 battle it out. It's been nothing but a distraction for our pathetic offense and 34 minutes into the first game, the plan is shot and we wasted an entire summer getting our rookie ready and aligned with his horrendous receivers...mostly practicing on 3rd team.

It's almost comical. The vet has been traded and the guy who "earned" it got benched after not getting a single first down.

Even the jets announced their starter weeks ago. So darnold has had 2 or 3 weeks to settle into the starter role.

McDermott is going to lose the team with bad decisions like this...if he hasn't already.

• Like (+1) 7