Accountability

Kirby Jackson

24 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This isn’t intended to be a pitchfork thread as there are already 59 of them. One thing that really, really bothered me yesterday when McDermott talked about the need to look at the tape after the game before commenting on certain things. It was clear to literally everyone that Peterman was a disaster. Phillip Gaines should change his number to ?. McDermott wasn’t being transparent at all. He might have thought that he was helping his team but he was insulting the fan base. He would have earned a lot more respect by holding himself accountable like he preaches. He talks an awful lot about accountability and then doesn’t practice it. I know I would have had a lot more respect for him if he told it like it was instead of sticking his head in the sand.

I guess there's 60 now.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This isn’t intended to be a pitchfork thread as there are already 59 of them. One thing that really, really bothered me yesterday when McDermott talked about the need to look at the tape after the game before commenting on certain things. It was clear to literally everyone that Peterman was a disaster. Phillip Gaines should change his number to ?. McDermott wasn’t being transparent at all. He might have thought that he was helping his team but he was insulting the fan base. He would have earned a lot more respect by holding himself accountable like he preaches. He talks an awful lot about accountability and then doesn’t practice it. I know I would have had a lot more respect for him if he told it like it was instead of sticking his head in the sand.

I have to look at the tape = I'm not going to comment now while I'm still emotionally invested in today's results.  Coaches are not like fans where they love to be emotional and reactionary.  Judge the actions and not the words and his actions were to pull Nate and will likely stick with Allen going forward.

• Like (+1) 1

I didn't expect McCoach to go full Jim Mora after the game, but at some point he needs to balance protecting his players with being cognizant of his where his HC career is going.

He can't talk about reviewing the tape after every game and it's quite clear that his decisions need to be further examined. Twice in the span of less than a year he's gone with a QB who is completely unprepared for the speed of the game. That's unacceptable in today's NFL.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I don't know. What I saw was a complete team failure, not one player. The O-line was a total disaster. When either NP or Allen got the ball to a receiver, they dropped it. Even the TV guys pulled out the tele-strator showing how not one receiver got open on pass plays. Maybe McDermott should have been more angry with his players, but maybe he should be mad at himself and Beane?

....or both. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

What’s the point of all of this? It’s not like he can change the roster now! He’s got 15 more games to go with these stuffs. Throwing them under the bus in early September serves no purpose whatsoever, other than to make guys on a message board feel better for a few minutes. 

Might you consider that he could answer these simple questions without necessarily "throwing them under the bus"?

They were simple and easily anticipated questions.  It just made him look dumb.  I think that's the point you are missing in (almost) every poster's response to this thread...

• Like (+1) 2

I'll bet when Beane balances his checkbook he gets his balance, draws a line and starts over again. Problem is he still has some checks out there that haven't cleared yet. Next thing you know he's getting hit with overdraft fees. That's a good analogy of where the Bills are at right now and the next big deposit ain't until this season is over.

Edited by bmur66
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I don't know. What I saw was a complete team failure, not one player. The O-line was a total disaster. When either NP or Allen got the ball to a receiver, they dropped it. Even the TV guys pulled out the tele-strator showing how not one receiver got open on pass plays. Maybe McDermott should have been more angry with his players, but maybe he should be mad at himself and Beane?

yep, they yellow x'd the receivers and they were covered up tight. i want to see ducasse on the bench. teller can't be any worse and why wasn't dimarco blocking?

i also noticed only one blitz which was edmunds up the middle which looked great.   maybe frazier went to the dc school of wanstandt, idk  but if we don't start getting pressure...

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
32 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

His act is already getting old and the fans in this town will turn on him real quick if the team is as bad as they looked yesterday.  If he goes with Peterman in week 2, he is going to lose almost all the good will he earned from ending the drought.

I agree. I wish McD would have said “it starts with me “, or “I will get it right”. I get he’s just doing the typical answer by saying he will look at the tape, but it really is frustrating to hear that. I sure as hell he looks at the tape. Just got absolutely slaughtered in every aspect of the game.

I really don't care what stupid cliche is thrown out during a post-game PC. The fact is that he's not going to get into specifics. And positive reinforcement is much better than negative. Especially in front of the media.

Wait until the Bills win. He'll say he needs to review the tape after that game, too.

As the leader, McD needs to be even keel. Putting on a show for the media isn't necessary.

Edited by LeGOATski

30 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Maybe so but managing the public is a big part of a head coaches’ job. He isn’t doing anyone favors by getting the media, and in turn the fans, worked up. When that happens, he, and his team lose the benefit of the doubt. 

No, not really. Belichick doesn't give two poops what the public thinks, he coaches and manages the way he sees fit and that's it. Doesn't care one iota what is written about him, what fans think of him or anyone else for that matter. Now, it comes with the resume of winning, but he didn't always have that same resume and he was the same person. Please see his resignation to the Jets on a napkin for exhibit A in the evidence bag. Point being....we all want reassurance during the time of anxiety and doubt, but that's not his job at this point. His job is to course correct this team and he can't do that effectively if he loses the locker room due to being vocal about his displeasure with any one particular player unless it's off the field issues. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

I agree. I wish McD would have said “it starts with me “, or “I will get it right”. I get he’s just doing the typical answer by saying he will look at the tape, but it really is frustrating to hear that. I sure as hell he looks at the tape. Just got absolutely slaughtered in every aspect of the game.

Is it frustrating? So, if he says "It's all on me" after a 47-3 loss, that's going to make you feel soooooo much better? You can go about your day in a happy mood?

The guy obviously has a ton of reviewing to do. Better get started rather than wasting time giving the fans and media lip service.

3 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Is it frustrating? So, if he says "It's all on me" after a 47-3 loss, that's going to make you feel soooooo much better? You can go about your day in a happy mood?

The guy obviously has a ton of reviewing to do. Better get started rather than wasting time giving the fans and media lip service.

Hence the thread title Accountability

Edited by Real McCoy
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I really don't care what stupid cliche is thrown out during a post-game PC. The fact is that he's not going to get into specifics. And positive reinforcement is much better than negative. Especially in front of the media.

Wait until the Bills win. He'll say he needs to review the tape after that game, too.

As the leader, McD needs to be even keel. Putting on a show for the media isn't necessary.

I guess for me 47-3 without a 1st down in the 1st half is different than 20-17. I have no issues if he says that in those situations. This wasn’t the time to hide behind the tape. Your team was utterly dominated in all aspects. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Real McCoy said:

Hence the thread title Accountabilty

This thread is a request for lip service.

When Rex Ryan said it was all on him, that really made a difference, right?

McD will review the tape and hold the right people accountable, including himself.

Why would anyone not believe that, given what we've seen so far?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, LeGOATski said:

Really not sure why you turned it extreme with that example. Goes without saying but I’m pissed either way.

But back to my original point before you took it to that level. It is frustrating to hear him say that because not once did I hear him take any accountability for yesterday’s loss. Not once.

As the head coach/leader of the team, do you not agree he should have taken responsibility for that onslaught yesterday? 

• Like (+1) 3

41 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I think he likes to insulate his players from public criticism while giving it to them straight behind closed doors. 

Yes, that is it.  The media are idiots asking him questions about who starts at QB next week immediately after a game and expecting him to say much else. 

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I guess for me 47-3 without a 1st down in the 1st half is different than 20-17. I have no issues if he says that in those situations. This wasn’t the time to hide behind the tape. Your team was utterly dominated in all aspects. 

We're talking about a meeting with the media. It's best to just stay consistent in these things, IMO. Be positive or be neutral for the media/fans and handle your real business in-house.