What is the first phone call Beane makes today?

Sky Diver

33 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

To Office Depot to order a special notebook where he is going to make his list of all the doubters and people who are over dramatic and somehow were clueless about how this was gonna get worse before it gets better.   

The fact people cant see how much better we are set up moving forward is surprising.  We got an ton of cap space now, 10 picks in the next draft, and already grabbed our key anchors on both sides of the ball with Allen and Edmunds.  It was clear as day this year was gonna be a regression after losing so much on the OL and shedding contracts and spending draft picks to move up to get top prospects at two critical positions.  How anyone is surprised is beyond me.

The team has little established talent and everything is being pinned onto the Hope's that a young linebacker and the biggest question mark QB in this years draft are going to both be all pros to lead this team in a couple of years when they can become good again. They can have all the cap space in the world, but they need to find players willing to sign here. And having all those picks is nothing if they are spent on players like Jones.

This front office has been very good at hemorrhaging talent for picks, but hasnt shown they are capable of obtaining wood quality players to rebuild a consistent winner.

Just now, apuszczalowski said:

The team has little established talent and everything is being pinned onto the Hope's that a young linebacker and the biggest question mark QB in this years draft are going to both be all pros to lead this team in a couple of years when they can become good again. They can have all the cap space in the world, but they need to find players willing to sign here. And having all those picks is nothing if they are spent on players like Jones.

This front office has been very good at hemorrhaging talent for picks, but hasnt shown they are capable of obtaining wood quality players to rebuild a consistent winner.

Fair enough, however, I will also argue the opposite, that they haven't shown they cant obtain quality players to rebuild a consistent winner either.  All the young players are still young and unproven.  If Allen and Edmunds hit, nothing else up to now matters, that would be huge.  And I dont care what people want to label Allen before the draft, what we have seen on the field since he was drafted is a ton of upside and that he was picked 7th overall for a reason.  Same with Edmunds.  Both have shown some real bright spots as well as young mistakes too.  As we sit, both are quite promising...only time will tell if they do develop.  And if they dont, then Beane and company are gonna be on a real hot seat going into year 3.  If they Allen and Edmunds (especially Allen) become good players, then we are going to be working with a great base and have a bright future.  

33 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Fair enough, however, I will also argue the opposite, that they haven't shown they cant obtain quality players to rebuild a consistent winner either.  All the young players are still young and unproven.  If Allen and Edmunds hit, nothing else up to now matters, that would be huge.  And I dont care what people want to label Allen before the draft, what we have seen on the field since he was drafted is a ton of upside and that he was picked 7th overall for a reason.  Same with Edmunds.  Both have shown some real bright spots as well as young mistakes too.  As we sit, both are quite promising...only time will tell if they do develop.  And if they dont, then Beane and company are gonna be on a real hot seat going into year 3.  If they Allen and Edmunds (especially Allen) become good players, then we are going to be working with a great base and have a bright future.  

You know I repsect your takes, but have you looked at the free agent pool for next year? It is WEAK.

10 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

You know I repsect your takes, but have you looked at the free agent pool for next year? It is WEAK.

All good man, and I have honestly not looked and dont know what is available or not available in FA at any of the positions.  My opinion simply rooted in the cap space to have the flexibility to pursue people they feel can help stabilize some weak spots.  I also dont expect them to spend big on one of the premier FA's anyway, just think they will find some veteran help to pair with young draft picks to keep helping the team make progress.

But, its fair for you to question their ability to do so given we don't really know how good they are at it yet not having been here long.  One thing that I did both like and dislike at the same time was Star in FA this year.  I liked bringing him in, but I really didn't like the contract and felt it will be one we regret.  So far, he isn't proving Beane right either.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

All good man, and I have honestly not looked and dont know what is available or not available in FA at any of the positions.  My opinion simply rooted in the cap space to have the flexibility to pursue people they feel can help stabilize some weak spots.  I also dont expect them to spend big on one of the premier FA's anyway, just think they will find some veteran help to pair with young draft picks to keep helping the team make progress.

But, its fair for you to question their ability to do so given we don't really know how good they are at it yet not having been here long.  One thing that I did both like and dislike at the same time was Star in FA this year.  I liked bringing him in, but I really didn't like the contract and felt it will be one we regret.  So far, he isn't proving Beane right either.

They will just give a big contract to whomever is available from the Panthers......