The Organizational Incompetence of the Buffalo Bills

CamboBill

I am more or less sold on Josh Allen.  He still has lots of work to do but I have seen enough to have confidence that in the right situation he should be a competent NFL quarterback with at least some chance of being special.

Note the emphasis on "right situation".  What does this mean?

1) Proper coaching and scheme to get the most out of the QB and develop his confidence.

2) Functionally competent offensive line

3) Receivers who can adapt and make plays for the rookie.

I am open to Daboll and willing to defer judgement. He does not have much to work with.  The OL and WR stable are total disasters and it is not hyperbole to say that. 

This is not a "right situation" it is a very wrong situation to throw a rookie potential franchise QB into.

Good organizations PLAN for these contingencies.  Early on I thought the Bills were showing signs of competent planning by bringing in a low cost short term solution to absorb snaps in AJ McCarron.  

Don't get me wrong, I am no big fan of AJ who obviously has his limitations, but between he and Peterman we had at least two guys who we thought could absorb enough snaps until the environment around Josh improved.

Instead we went el-CHEAPO and dealt AJ's contract away for a mid-round pick (we already have 9 or 10 picks next year).  We put our our entire faith and trust in .... drum roll ..... Nate Peterman ... who is like a deer lost in the headlights under pressure.  We do not even keep a 3rd QB on the roster.

This it utter organizational incompetence.  Who is responsible? The Pegulas wanting to move salary?  Beane and his fixation on another mid round pick?  McDermmot for his Bromance infatuation with Peterman?

I don't know.

All I know is we cannot keep throwing Peterman out there and are thus left having painted ourselves into a corner of more or less HAVING to start Allen. 

A 7th overall pick is an investment at QB that requires proper management and early on protection of both his physical well being as well as his confidence and mental development.  Instead we will watch him constantly have to run for his life and watching the occasional accurate pass bounce of his WR's beer belly.

Welcome to the world of ruined QB prospects ... Tim "Concussion" Couch and David ""Concussion" Carr.  It is too bad, I think Josh is a gamer but this league will run you down quickly when the people in charge of your career fail to adequately plan for contingencies.

I am sure that extra 4th rounder will make all the difference in the world as we wonder if a banged up and damaged Allen can recover next year after a year of abuse no rookie QB should endure.

The OL and WR corp probably are not fixable this year but at the very least --- GO GET A FUNCTIONAL VET QB WHO CAN ABSORB SNAPS THIS YEAR AND REDUCE THE DAMAGE ALLEN HAS TO TAKE!

• Like (+1) 12
  • Thank you (+1) 8

We need a one year starter to absorb Snaps until we can create a better situation for Allen Next year.  A one year starter return would be exactly what Kaep needs to get back in the league and would give the Bills time and flexibility to spot Allen in places he can succeed.

I would be all in on Kaep but the F/O wankers would never court such "controversy"as offending some right wingers.

We need to get someone though.  Preferably someone who can run for their lives

13 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Kaep’s last game in Buffalo two years ago he only lost by 30 so bring him in ... 

Peterman's last game with the bills was 18 hours ago and we lost by 44 points.  Looks like a two touchdown improvement to me.  ?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Title of this thread is ridiculous.  This front office has made some great decisions. 

One area it seems Beane fell short is the OL.  They underestimated the loss of Richie, Woods, and Glenn.

Frustrating?  Yes.  Leading to total FO incompetence?  Not even close.

Back off the ledge.  It's week 1.  Lets see how the coaches, team, and FO rebound from this.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Easier to just start Allen .., we might only lose by 20..

Until he gets sacked 7 times a game and becomes yet another gun shy ''one time'' prospect littering the trashbin of QB history because his team is too incompetent to even see the need for a 3rd QB or vet mentor.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, dezertbill said:

Title of this thread is ridiculous.  This front office has made some great decisions. 

One area it seems Beane fell short is the OL.  They underestimated the loss of Richie, Woods, and Glenn.

Back off the ledge.  It's week 1.  Lets see how the coaches, team, and FO rebound from this.

Agree 100% possibly even more. So much that I think this reply to the post is acceptable.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dezertbill said:

Nope.  I have been more or less supportive of the new regime.  Trading away McCarron was pure idiocy and prove they have no clue as to creating a contingency plan so that you can spot start your QB prospect rather than just be forced to throw him to the wolves.

Utter incompetence.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 3

over 50 million in dead cap space says it all...... WRs says it all...OL says it all, special teams say it all.....DL says it all..Murphy, Lawson,. Lo=tuia..all pathetic and Kyle has slowed down and not a starter anymore.  We are old and need replacemnts galore on OL, DL, WRs, OLBs, and Clay, our prozed TE sucks.  Zay Jones is useless and Benjamin does not look like he even tries at times to catch the ball. Letting go of McCaron so no vet to mentor Josh other than Mr. August, Peterman is pitiful.....

• Like (+1) 4

36 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsMagic1 said:

over 50 million in dead cap space says it all...... WRs says it all...OL says it all, special teams say it all.....DL says it all..Murphy, Lawson,. Lo=tuia..all pathetic and Kyle has slowed down and not a starter anymore.  We are old and need replacemnts galore on OL, DL, WRs, OLBs, and Clay, our prozed TE sucks.  Zay Jones is useless and Benjamin does not look like he even tries at times to catch the ball. Letting go of McCaron so no vet to mentor Josh other than Mr. August, Peterman is pitiful.....

and many think a top pick next year fixes everything

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, CamboBill said:

I am more or less sold on Josh Allen.  He still has lots of work to do but I have seen enough to have confidence that in the right situation he should be a competent NFL quarterback with at least some chance of being special.

Note the emphasis on "right situation".  What does this mean?

1) Proper coaching and scheme to get the most out of the QB and develop his confidence.

2) Functionally competent offensive line

3) Receivers who can adapt and make plays for the rookie.

I am open to Daboll and willing to defer judgement. He does not have much to work with.  The OL and WR stable are total disasters and it is not hyperbole to say that. 

This is not a "right situation" it is a very wrong situation to throw a rookie potential franchise QB into.

Good organizations PLAN for these contingencies.  Early on I thought the Bills were showing signs of competent planning by bringing in a low cost short term solution to absorb snaps in AJ McCarron.  

Don't get me wrong, I am no big fan of AJ who obviously has his limitations, but between he and Peterman we had at least two guys who we thought could absorb enough snaps until the environment around Josh improved.

Instead we went el-CHEAPO and dealt AJ's contract away for a mid-round pick (we already have 9 or 10 picks next year).  We put our our entire faith and trust in .... drum roll ..... Nate Peterman ... who is like a deer lost in the headlights under pressure.  We do not even keep a 3rd QB on the roster.

This it utter organizational incompetence.  Who is responsible? The Pegulas wanting to move salary?  Beane and his fixation on another mid round pick?  McDermmot for his Bromance infatuation with Peterman?

I don't know.

All I know is we cannot keep throwing Peterman out there and are thus left having painted ourselves into a corner of more or less HAVING to start Allen. 

A 7th overall pick is an investment at QB that requires proper management and early on protection of both his physical well being as well as his confidence and mental development.  Instead we will watch him constantly have to run for his life and watching the occasional accurate pass bounce of his WR's beer belly.

Welcome to the world of ruined QB prospects ... Tim "Concussion" Couch and David ""Concussion" Carr.  It is too bad, I think Josh is a gamer but this league will run you down quickly when the people in charge of your career fail to adequately plan for contingencies.

I am sure that extra 4th rounder will make all the difference in the world as we wonder if a banged up and damaged Allen can recover next year after a year of abuse no rookie QB should endure.

The OL and WR corp probably are not fixable this year but at the very least --- GO GET A FUNCTIONAL VET QB WHO CAN ABSORB SNAPS THIS YEAR AND REDUCE THE DAMAGE ALLEN HAS TO TAKE!

And yet Mitch Trubisky and Jared Goff would disagree. Both have said despite their failures and how hard it was to go out and play and lose and get beat up at times, it was good for their development. Carson Wentz was subjected to the same fate, but he had similar sentiments from what I can recall. Basically, I was in favor of letting Allen sit and learn if Peterman could have shown anything of substance, but he can't and Allen should be the starter from now on - no question in my mind at this point. Twice in two years Peterman has been given a chance and he's catastrophically blown those chances. 

If Peterman had lost the game, but they lost something like 20-17 or similar but Peterman showing he can move the Offense, I could continue to accept Peterman just because it means the team is coming together but the Offense isn't there....but as bad as yesterday was for him, I don't see how you can put him back on the field next week. 

Also, people are crapping on the Defense, and they weren't great, but the poor Offensive play is cumulative to the Defense because the longer they're on the field - especially in hot, humid, rainy weather - the harder it is to maintain resistance. Basically, Defense was poor on the first drive, started to come together and then the Offense failed miserably and the Defense just couldn't keep their backbone due to exhaustion and frustration.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Short term, this season is going to suck.  The only worry is if it screws up Josh Allen... given his temperament... don't think it will.  That being said, not addressing wide receiver and O-line.  Especially when Ducasse was such a tire fire last year.  Heck he got let go by the Giants.

Early on I thought the Bills were showing signs of competent planning by bringing in a low cost short term solution to absorb snaps in AJ McCarron.  

"low cost short term solution" is the philosophical cancer at the heart of this franchise and way too many of its fans. 

• Like (+1) 2

I agree about the O line.  The question is , given where they were with cap space, etc, what could they have done to improve it more?  I would have liked to see another draft pick spent there, but as far as FAs they simply didn't have the cash to spend.  and if you read stuff from writers around the league, there is simply a dearth of good O linemen in the league right now.  So it comes down to coaching what you have, and Castillo isn't exactly drawing comparisons to Mouse at this point.

We need a one year starter to absorb Snaps until we can create a better situation for Allen Next year.  A one year starter return would be exactly what Kaep needs to get back in the league and would give the Bills time and flexibility to spot Allen in places he can succeed.

I would be all in on Kaep but the F/O wankers would never court such "controversy"as offending some right wingers.

We need to get someone though.  Preferably someone who can run for their lives

I think that's because the right wingers they'd be offending would be their fellow owners and execs.   As history shows, the Bills don't really care if they offend their fanbase because they've done that repeatedly with the crap product they repeatedly have put on the field over the decades.