The Organizational Incompetence of the Buffalo Bills

CamboBill

22 hours ago, row_33 said:

It’s unheard of going 20 years in pro sports playing roughly 400 without sinking or rising to serious contending

The definition of mediocrity

10 hours ago, boater said:

With the Green Bay debacle in the rear view mirror, I'm bumping this negative thread to the top.

In regard to OP: it's fine to play Allen. This is a free year for him to develop without the pressure of having to win.

OTH, stashing Allen on the bench for a year is more risky then starting him now. Stash him for a year will be putting him on a pedestal** and make his 2019 debut even more pressure packed and unforgiving.

10 hours ago, boater said:

** don't put things on a pedestal: "you put your ____ on a pedestal"

Sure --- you spot start him and pull him when gets into game situations where he is being overwhelmed. Protecting your investment is not putting him on a pedestal.  It is about managing the player's learning curve as well as fan expectations.

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 8:10 AM, Hebert19 said:

Sorry but the dead cap was an inherited problem that he has addressed so we have 70M plus to spend next year.  He had to get us out if cap hell and this team is the result of that.  Think about it. We have 2/3s of what other teams have to spend on a roster this year...that's the issue.  You think he wants some of these people?  No.  But it's the hole we are in.  

1 draft pick doesnt fix but 1 pick and 70M can. 

Here is another lie Dead Cap space.....    This was a self inflicted wound..  i would rather have SAMMY WATKINS , Marcel Darius than Kelvin Benjamin ,Itul llallai ( the DT they gave 10 mil a year for really..... what did he do to deserve that other than play with Carolina) ... DID we need to get rid of our receiving talent ....NO we chose to make that a problem; We had one of the better O-line coaches in the league that is now with LA RAMS,,,, we now have one of the poorest o-line coaches   poor coaches like poor players MILLS, Ducasse comes to mind  

Edited by liverpoolkev
spelling
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, liverpoolkev said:

Here is another lie Dead Cap space.....    This was a self inflicted wound..  i would rather have SAMMY WATKINS , Marcel Darius than Kelvin Benjamin ,Itul llallai ( the DT they gave 10 mil a year for really..... what did he do to deserve that other than play with Carolina) ... DID we need to get rid of our receiving talent ....NO we chose to make that a problem; We had one of the better O-line coaches in the league that is now with LA RAMS,,,, we now have one of the poorest o-line coaches   poor coaches like poor players MILLS, Ducasse comes to mind  

Will give you some of this.  But 15M for Watkins will go down as one of the worst contracts the NFL has seen.  Hurt.  AGAIN. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Nitro said:

As usual panic time in Buffalo.  Allen is a rookie.  He makes mistakes and relies a lot on his arm.  The charge of organizational incompetence is off the mark.  No front off ice perfect but they have a plan and process that they are working from.  Benjamin was one of those things where a GM thinks a change of scenery will improve the player.  Miss on that.  They defense is coming around.  One more draft will help with the LB and DB depth.  Bills offense needs an infusion of talent.  I have faith in the front office,  That is a first for me since the Polian era. 

Yea I'm laughing at you. Another old fan talking about polian and one more draft of lbs and db depth. The game passed you by.

You're seriously suggesting lbs and dbs? I don't even want to hear that.

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, Nitro said:

As usual panic time in Buffalo.  Allen is a rookie.  He makes mistakes and relies a lot on his arm.  The charge of organizational incompetence is off the mark.  No front off ice perfect but they have a plan and process that they are working from.  Benjamin was one of those things where a GM thinks a change of scenery will improve the player.  Miss on that.  They defense is coming around.  One more draft will help with the LB and DB depth.  Bills offense needs an infusion of talent.  I have faith in the front office,  That is a first for me since the Polian era. 

...spot on....good assessment.......but patience here sure as hell s not a virtue............

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Yea I'm laughing at you. Another old fan talking about polian and one more draft of lbs and db depth. The game passed you by.

Not ALL old fans are lost in the 1990s, 1980s, 1970s etc.  Some of us actually watch teams other than the Bills and realize that the game has changed. 

IMO, this team's FO and coaching staff would be incompetent in any decade since the merger.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, SoTier said:

Not ALL old fans are lost in the 1990s, 1980s, 1970s etc.  Some of us actually watch teams other than the Bills and realize that the game has changed. 

IMO, this team's FO and coaching staff would be incompetent in any decade since the merger.

Sorry don't mean to group you all in together. I usually agree with your view. I'll stop calling people old fans. I remember the 90s, vaguely. I'm just tired of hearing about Polian. When you see him speak on ESPN, it's clear the game passed him by.

On 10/2/2018 at 5:51 AM, John from Riverside said:

Right now they are cleaning out the trash.....wont see it till next year I think

Yea --- I just hope Allen does not wind up in the trash heap as a broken down QB after his rookie year.  Can he really survive 6 to 7 sacks a game -- physically and mentally.

No Mentor, No Real Backup to take pressure off,  no line, no wr, no proper game planning.

A recipe for disaster

18 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Sorry don't mean to group you all in together. I usually agree with your view. I'll stop calling people old fans. I remember the 90s, vaguely. I'm just tired of hearing about Polian. When you see him speak on ESPN, it's clear the game passed him by.

Not sure what qualifies as "öld" here.  i am old enough to know that nfl history tends to run in cycles more than linearly so we can still learn a lot from the past.

Avoid believing in fads ---- it was just a few years ago the wildcat was going to redefine how the game was played hahaha

1 hour ago, CamboBill said:

Yea --- I just hope Allen does not wind up in the trash heap as a broken down QB after his rookie year.  Can he really survive 6 to 7 sacks a game -- physically and mentally.

No Mentor, No Real Backup to take pressure off,  no line, no wr, no proper game planning.

A recipe for disaster

Not sure what qualifies as "öld" here.  i am old enough to know that nfl history tends to run in cycles more than linearly so we can still learn a lot from the past.

Avoid believing in fads ---- it was just a few years ago the wildcat was going to redefine how the game was played hahaha

I mean, it kinda did. Look at the mobility of QB’s since 2010. Lamar Jackson is coming in off the bench to run it. The NFL game is picking up a lot of tendencies from the college game. You could make a strong argument that the success of Ronnie Brown and the Dolphins were what opened the flood gates to that in the NFL 

On 9/10/2018 at 5:10 AM, CamboBill said:

I am more or less sold on Josh Allen.  He still has lots of work to do but I have seen enough to have confidence that in the right situation he should be a competent NFL quarterback with at least some chance of being special.

Note the emphasis on "right situation".  What does this mean?

1) Proper coaching and scheme to get the most out of the QB and develop his confidence.

2) Functionally competent offensive line

3) Receivers who can adapt and make plays for the rookie.

I am open to Daboll and willing to defer judgement. He does not have much to work with.  The OL and WR stable are total disasters and it is not hyperbole to say that. 

This is not a "right situation" it is a very wrong situation to throw a rookie potential franchise QB into.

Good organizations PLAN for these contingencies.  Early on I thought the Bills were showing signs of competent planning by bringing in a low cost short term solution to absorb snaps in AJ McCarron.  

Don't get me wrong, I am no big fan of AJ who obviously has his limitations, but between he and Peterman we had at least two guys who we thought could absorb enough snaps until the environment around Josh improved.

Instead we went el-CHEAPO and dealt AJ's contract away for a mid-round pick (we already have 9 or 10 picks next year).  We put our our entire faith and trust in .... drum roll ..... Nate Peterman ... who is like a deer lost in the headlights under pressure.  We do not even keep a 3rd QB on the roster.

This it utter organizational incompetence.  Who is responsible? The Pegulas wanting to move salary?  Beane and his fixation on another mid round pick?  McDermmot for his Bromance infatuation with Peterman?

I don't know.

All I know is we cannot keep throwing Peterman out there and are thus left having painted ourselves into a corner of more or less HAVING to start Allen. 

A 7th overall pick is an investment at QB that requires proper management and early on protection of both his physical well being as well as his confidence and mental development.  Instead we will watch him constantly have to run for his life and watching the occasional accurate pass bounce of his WR's beer belly.

Welcome to the world of ruined QB prospects ... Tim "Concussion" Couch and David ""Concussion" Carr.  It is too bad, I think Josh is a gamer but this league will run you down quickly when the people in charge of your career fail to adequately plan for contingencies.

I am sure that extra 4th rounder will make all the difference in the world as we wonder if a banged up and damaged Allen can recover next year after a year of abuse no rookie QB should endure.

The OL and WR corp probably are not fixable this year but at the very least --- GO GET A FUNCTIONAL VET QB WHO CAN ABSORB SNAPS THIS YEAR AND REDUCE THE DAMAGE ALLEN HAS TO TAKE!

Like Tyrod Taylor? I agree with the OP totally. They have tripped over dollars to save pennies and if things go wrong with Allen this year then they have made the biggest f up possible. Who parks their Ferrari in a dirt parking lot with no garage?

Edited by bmur66
  • Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Mango said:

I mean, it kinda did. Look at the mobility of QB’s since 2010. Lamar Jackson is coming in off the bench to run it. The NFL game is picking up a lot of tendencies from the college game. You could make a strong argument that the success of Ronnie Brown and the Dolphins were what opened the flood gates to that in the NFL 

Meh, Tony Sparano became the wildcat guru in that era with Ronnie Brown.  Some novelty plays.  Hardly redefined the game lol.

After that it was the Pistol offense that was going to take over.  A lot of teams use it but in very small percentages.

On 10/2/2018 at 8:05 AM, Ol Dirty B said:

Depth is needed.  You sir are a entitled to your opinion and yuck it up.  Polian was the last good GM they had.  

2 minutes ago, Nitro said:

Depth is needed.  You sir are a entitled to your opinion and yuck it up.  Polian was the last good GM they had.  

Polian was a great GM but he built his teams in an entirely different era.  His last years in Indy suggests that he wsn't a particularly good GM for the salary-cap era.

3 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Polian was a great GM but he built his teams in an entirely different era.  His last years in Indy suggests that he wasn't a particularly good GM for the salary-cap era.

Living here in Indy Peyton had an impact on the salary cap.  Much beloved but his contracts  limited the acquisition of talent.  Polian was good.  Need Beane to be the modern era equivalent.

Edited by Nitro