The Organizational Incompetence of the Buffalo Bills

CamboBill

I'm going to disagree with incompetence and go with blind loyalty .. hindsight 20/20 ... the signing of Star was the blind loyalty at McD & Beane to the Carolina way and wanted to recreate the "Luke Keuchly" defense in Buffalo by having a plug to let the LB's run free .. problem is Star is not the same Star he was when he came out and play has gone down stats the last few years clearly show that ... again hindsight 20/20 .. take those bucks and put in the OL .. get a large tub of goo on the cheap and put at DT to block the middle ... and let the other defensive players fly around ... but we poured the bucks into Star and took away from bigger needs.

13 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Peterman is all McDermott.

He loves the guy. Why? No idea. 

He's trying to give Allen as much time to develop before throwing him to the wolves, and might also be looking to protect him from injury having to play behind this OL.  So he goes with Peterman...initially.

On 9/10/2018 at 2:10 AM, CamboBill said:

1) Proper coaching and scheme to get the most out of the QB and develop his confidence.

2) Functionally competent offensive line

3) Receivers who can adapt and make plays for the rookie.

The OL and WR corp probably are not fixable this year but at the very least --- GO GET A FUNCTIONAL VET QB WHO CAN ABSORB SNAPS THIS YEAR AND REDUCE THE DAMAGE ALLEN HAS TO TAKE!

Couldn't agree more - while I've said that Allen currently gives us the best option to win of the two QBs on the roster, it doesn't mean that we should immediately commit to Allen as our starter in Week 2. We have some glaring holes that we knew about going into the season, and unfortunately our concerns were proven true on Sunday. If you don't have an OL to protect you or a WR corps that get open, you risk developing the wrong skill set in a QB.

But it's rare you can sum a team up in three bullet points - at least the offensive side of the ball. But unless some significant changes occur beyond who starts under center each week, we'll see a lot of Allen getting hit, us wondering if this is it, and receivers having balls bounce off their hands. I hope Shady still has something left in the tank otherwise first overall pick here we go.

On 9/10/2018 at 5:03 AM, oldmanfan said:

So it comes down to coaching what you have, and Castillo isn't exactly drawing comparisons to Mouse at this point.

This is the only component missing from the OP here. Beyond the state of our OL, there isn't much talent that's left to develop out of the players that are causing issues. Ducasse is not an NFL starter, imo ever, but especially not anymore. Neither is Newhouse, and Mills fills a spot. I'd rather see Teller get some time than witness what we saw on Sunday. But the core of the issue here is coaching. Castillo should never have been hired, and should've left as soon as Incognito and Woods retired. It was remarkable he wasn't lumped into the Dennison departure, outside of the personal ties to McD. There's much work to be done here, but how about we start with a coach who understands the actual positions involved.

Edited by ctk232
  • Like (+1) 2

On 9/10/2018 at 7:03 PM, oldmanfan said:

I agree about the O line.  The question is , given where they were with cap space, etc, what could they have done to improve it more?  I would have liked to see another draft pick spent there, but as far as FAs they simply didn't have the cash to spend.  and if you read stuff from writers around the league, there is simply a dearth of good O linemen in the league right now.  So it comes down to coaching what you have, and Castillo isn't exactly drawing comparisons to Mouse at this point.

Agreed.  At some point there has to be some accountability for the lack of on field performance by the OL.  Not only performance but just simple basic effort.  During Q4 of the game there was a hit on Allen and at least 3 or 4 Ravens around Allen Jawing in his ear.  Where were his teammates on the line? Picking themselves up or staring forlornly at their shoes.   They not only sucked --- they quit.

Unacceptable.

Looks like Allen is starting ... ready or not .... because our management incompetently gave away our only other alternative.

Let the official derailing of this kids career begin.  No blockers.  No Receivers.  Few who really give a damn.

The good news is that Bosa looks to be out so the over under on how many times Allen gets sacked is down to 5. lol.

Yuck.

We can only hope and pray for the best --- that is what happens when management fails to create contingency plans.

1 hour ago, CamboBill said:

Looks like Allen is starting ... ready or not .... because our management incompetently gave away our only other alternative.

Let the official derailing of this kids career begin.  No blockers.  No Receivers.  Few who really give a damn.

The good news is that Bosa looks to be out so the over under on how many times Allen gets sacked is down to 5. lol.

Yuck.

We can only hope and pray for the best --- that is what happens when management fails to create contingency plans.

Hardly.  They got a 5th for a guy who will never be a starter, is barely more of a veteran than Allen, and who the Bills would be spinning their wheels with by playing.

12 minutes ago, remembersthegoodtime said:

Understanding incognito and wood retiring didn't help. Would been nice to fill ol/wr holes with them picks we bundled for Allen and edmunds

So you'd rather they gave up Allen and/or Edmunds for 2nd round OL?

On 9/10/2018 at 8:04 PM, baskingridgebillsfan said:

this is Beane's mess.  I don't think the coach is great but he didn't put this roster together.  

If you think Beane is making personnel decisions in a  vacuum, you're nuts.

McDermott has his role in all this just as much as Beane.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t really know where to put his but is anyone else a little terrified that twice Sean McDermott thought Nathan Peterman was capable of starting an NFL game? 

I said this last year in its aftermath.  I believed he was trusting Dennison and the rest of the staff as well as his own gut.  That maybe the O staff wanted to do it.  

I think he really wanted Nate to have a shot to redeem himself and not be known as "that guy who threw 5 picks."  Plus, he had a good preseason and imo did win the job.

There is a pattern now of valuing.....and OVER valuing "their" guys.  AJ didn't have a real chance.

McD has a lot of good qualities.  But I'm starting to worry that he was built to be a College Head Coach.  Even the Daboll hire---which is far more consequential then the Allen pick (it is, convince me I'm wrong) is beginning to look like a hire that was...."hes just my kind of guy" rather than I need the best OC/teacher/mentor for this kid I can find. 

Makes you wonder what QB they thought they'd get when they hired our OC.

Edited by Big Blitz

9 minutes ago, remembersthegoodtime said:

Definitely trade them for 3 ol and 2 recievers from the rounds 2/3.  Especially after wood and incognito retire. Got two many holes to patch with duct tape

Totally disagree with you on Allen.  Getting the franchise QB is the most important thing.  So that wipe-out the 1st-1st rounder and the 2-2nd rounders.  As for Edmunds, I'd rather take a flier on a potential generational talent.  It's not like they won't have draft picks and a boatload of cash to spend next off-season.

Excellent post. This absolutely is organization incompetence at the highest level and with the biggest stakes given the player, the position, and the investment Bills made. It makes my blood boil that McD doesn't even have the integrity (or cajones) to actually answer questions let alone admit he F'd this up. Where's the accountability? How can you expect accountability from players when you dodge it with everyone else. 

Despite the initial round of Carolina retreads last year, I was pleasantly surprised by our new coach (and by extension our new GM). It looked like they had a plan to build a TEAM, not just a collection of talent. Although I didn't agree with the ridiculous use of draft capital or the actual picks, that plan still kind of made sense coming into camp. But this situation - having no playable QBs besides Allen, and then starting him WAY before he's ready - is almost fireable in my eyes. If it works out, it'll be through sheer dumb luck.    

Edited by VW82