Getting a little concerned with the frequency of blowout games we are completely overmatched from the get go under McDermott

Big Turk

We had 3 of them in a row last year and another today...games where we just aren't in it from the opening kickoff and are getting obliterated by the end of the first quarter.

It's a worrying trend because there is no way a team should be getting handled like this 4 times in 17 games.  Not even Cleveland who went 0-16 last year got beat this badly that many times. Something needs to change, this is NOT a good sign at all that this type of thing keeps happening and players just seem to look disinterested in playing in these games.  In the 4 games we have been outscored 182-58 or an average of 45.5 - 14.5...that is pathetic.

Games where the offense can't do anything, the defense can't stop anyone and the special teams end up giving up big plays.  Its a very troubling sign when all three phases of the team suck at the same time this often.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 6

This is what happens when you give carte blanche to a first time coach and a first time GM.

They either need to fix "the process" and figure out what works, or they will be gone.  (The process, by the way, always pissed me off, as if together McBeane had so much repeatable success in the past that they could demand such conformity to the system as if it were a magical pancia).

If they win 6+ games they will be given a 3rd season. Winn less than 4 games, especially with several blowout losses then I think we will have another change in management unfortunately

Edited by saundena
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Not rocket science.  They are unbelievably bad at the two most important things in football, Quarterback and hitting the opposing Quarterback. 

McBeane can overcomplicate things as much as they want, call it a process, talk about hard work and culture, but until they draft a beast Defensive End or a player who plays somewhat like a NFL Qb they are going to get blown out.

For a coach who relies so much on pressure from his front four, you'd think he'd be a little bit more interested in gifted athletic defensive lineman and less in "high motors"

• Like (+1) 1

They just drafted a guy that can play like an NFL QB.  Interesting how so many talk about how you're nothing without a QB, they draft a guy , and all of a sudden it's that they should have focused on other areas.

This past draft they got the leaders they'll need on O and D.  I am concerned about these blowouts like everyone else.  Andvthat is a failure all around, from coaching to players.

3 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

They just drafted a guy that can play like an NFL QB.  Interesting how so many talk about how you're nothing without a QB, they draft a guy , and all of a sudden it's that they should have focused on other areas.

This past draft they got the leaders they'll need on O and D.  I am concerned about these blowouts like everyone else.  Andvthat is a failure all around, from coaching to players.

I don't disagree with you.  They needed to go all out to get a guy.  However, the point was about the blow outs.  They get blown out because they lack talent in important areas of the field.   They stunk at Qb and DE last year.  They stink  at QB (until/unless Allen develops,) and DE this year.

How anyone looked at the roster and didn't think they'd be in the running for the 1st pick is beyond me.  It's as easy as looking at the qb situation and Buffalo's was clearly three or four worst.  They needed to sign a veteran with real game experience and didnt.

6 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I don't disagree with you.  They needed to go all out to get a guy.  However, the point was about the blow outs.  They get blown out because they lack talent in important areas of the field.   They stunk at Qb and DE last year.  They stink  at QB (until/unless Allen develops,) and DE this year.

How anyone looked at the roster and didn't think they'd be in the running for the 1st pick is beyond me.  It's as easy as looking at the qb situation and Buffalo's was clearly three or four worst.  They needed to sign a veteran with real game experience and didnt.

A veteran with game experience like a Moore would help in the film room.  Not on the field

9 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

A veteran with game experience like a Moore would help in the film room.  Not on the field

I wasn't specifically referring to Moore.  Was more of an advocate for them signing Bradford.  However, I did watch a QB go 5-18 for 24 yards and 2 picks yesterday, so I would argue even Matt Moore would be an on the field upgrade. 

They weren't prepared to start Allen and they weren't prepared to support the ability not to start him.   Thats hubris.

Edited by thenorthremembers

Just now, thenorthremembers said:

I wasn't specifically referring to Moore.  Was more of an advocate for them signing Bradford.  However, I did watch a QB go 5-18 for 24 yards and 2 picks yesterday, so In would argue even Matt Moore would be a on the field upgrade. 

They weren't prepared to start Allen and they weren't prepared to support the ability not to start him.   Thats hubris.

What can you say?  They brought in McCarron.  Peterman did well all preseason.  Then he laid an egg yesterday.  You can only go by what you see.  And Peterman was doing well.

Wouldn't surprise me if they sign a guy like Morre and cut Peterman this week. Allen's timetable just got moved up

5 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

What can you say?  They brought in McCarron.  Peterman did well all preseason.  Then he laid an egg yesterday.  You can only go by what you see.  And Peterman was doing well.

Wouldn't surprise me if they sign a guy like Morre and cut Peterman this week. Allen's timetable just got moved up

I got ridiculed for saying it last week, but Peterman only had two drives in the first preseason game against number one defenders. He never faced real pressure from top defenders in any of his play after that. It was a recipe for disaster as well as the rotation that went on for the Qb competition. A number one should have been chosen sooner with the experience of the contestants being so young. That being said, most qb’s would struggle with the inefficiency of the o-Line and the inability of the receivers to gain seperation as the Bills displayed yesterday. But Even I was surprised at how poor Peterman performed.

14 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Wouldn't surprise me if they sign a guy like Morre and cut Peterman this week. Allen's timetable just got moved 

You really can't say much, I hear you there.  I am still fine with McDermott and Beane, but that's because I knew this year was 100% about Allen.  It is a little concerning they didn't do more in the off season to address QB beyond 5 total starts but its hindsight now.

Mainly, I am just trying to look at McBeane with the longview but that includes a pretty troubling commitment to Peterman, who if I am being honest, a lot of regular Joe's on TBD knew wouldnt play well in the regular season despite a strong preseason.

1. In a 17 game stretch, as a NFL Head Coach you have lead your team to not 1, not 2, but 3 games where your team has lost by 30 points or MORE 54-24, 47-10, and 47-3.

Another game at the Jets, the score was much closer then the compete level, on national TV and another embarrassment. 38-24 final was a complete mirage.

That is 4 performances that were completely embarrassing. That is 4/17 career games. Terrible ratio.

How many good coaches do you know have those kinds of performances on their resume?

PLUS, the coach has some kind of strange obsession with a 5th round pick from Pitt, and not only is that QB bad in 2 games, it costs the Bills Tyrod Taylor, and AJ McCarron as they are both jettisoned in large part to McDermott's odd infatuation with NP.

Some might say these are fireable offenses. Count me in as one of them.

I have ZERO trust that Sean McDermott has the ability to select the right QB for this team.

Edited by Like A Mofo

1 hour ago, Like A Mofo said:

1. In 17 game stretch, as a NFL Head Coach you have lead your team to not 1, not 2, but 3 games where your team has lost by 30 points or MORE 54-24, 47-10, and 47-3.

Another game at the Jets, the score was much closer then the compete level, on national TV and another embarrassment. 38-24 final was a complete mirage.

That is 4 performances that were completely embarrassing.

PLUS, the coach has some kind of strange obsession with a 5th round pick from Pitt, and not only is that QB bad in 2 games, it costs the Bills Tyrod Taylor, and AJ McCarron as they are both jettisoned in large part to McDermott's odd infatuation with NP.

Some might say these are fireable offenses. Count me in as one of them.

I have ZERO trust that Sean McDermott has the ability to select the right QB for this team.

they selected their qb in Allen they just didn’t want to throw him to the wolves. I’m not high on mcbeane but you’re not for all the wrong reasons. They have no talent what do you seriously want him to do? 

Edited by Rocbillsfan1

1 minute ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

I’m they selected their qb in Allen they just didn’t want to throw him to the wolves. I’m not high on mcbeane but you’re not for all the wrong reasons. They have no talent what do you seriously want him to do? 

Im not saying Taylor is a long term answer, but I have to think McDermott's 'pious' obsession with NP has cost him dearly in the locker room, and they are botching Josh Allen's developement similar to that of EJ.

Andy Reid drafted Mahomes and they kept Alex Smith there, Im sure that had a very positive effect on Mahomes.

Even Mahomes said how much of a positive influence Chad Henne is.

Where is that vet here to mentor Josh Allen?

McDermott is a fool.

Edited by Like A Mofo
  • Thank you (+1) 1