The Emotional Romanticizing Of Ex Buffalo Bills Players Needs to Stop

BuffaloRush

5 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

You don't want to know about Steady Eddie? :lol:

I’m fine hearing about Steady Eddie.  

I’m fine with romanticizing the current players and coaches.

I’m fine with romanticizing the former players and coaches too.

Heck I’m even fine with a thread about Sully that has arguable football relevance.

I think most on this board do no romanticize having those players on the team.  I think most on here try to evaluate the decisions that were made at the time and then also see the impact of those decision down the road.  I think those decisions are key to evaluating the performance to the GM, HC, and Pro-personnel team.  

Most on here and our current GM believe the Bills should build through the draft.  Ok fine. Then when you draft players like Watkins, Dareus, Gilmore, etc and then let them walk or trade them it is quite fair to critique the decisions.  

Take Dareus for instance. The draft pick in return is worthless. The run defense is worse. But the full impact of that move will not be known until we see what FA signings occur with the extra cap space.

Gilmore is the starting CB for the best HC in NFL history.  And somehow we should not question the decision to let him walk?  No contract extension?  No franchise tag?  If you are going to credit McD with the 2017 draft then you have to add the Gilmore decision to his decision making body of work.  And then McD and Beane need to own up to a 3rd round comp pick that was wasted by keeping a couple of FA signings on the team that offer little to no value.

In many cases I have agreed with the decisions to let players go. I would not have paid Goodwin the money he got from San Francisco.  But great for him that he is doing great.  I have no issues with that decision.  

The Bills have the worst WR group in the league.  Watkins should still be on this team and he would be the best player on the field.  They didn't even need to extend his deal. They could have just picked up his option and used the tag the following year.  

These are all decisions that have consequences.  I am not romanticizing having Watkins on the team.  I am evaluating the series of decisions that produced the group of WRs on the field.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, jahnyc said:

I don't think many of us want Whaley, Sammy, Tyrod or Fitz back, but we do miss, at least in some fashion, the talent represented by players like Gilmore, Darby, Brown, Hogan, Woods and Goodwin.  All of these players would be upgrades compared to what we have now.  Even Dareus would be an upgrade, but not at the salary we were paying him.  I get it that we could not afford to keep most of these players if we had wanted to, but that is just part of the poor cap management legacy of the prior front office.

This might be a bit of revisionist history. I seem to recall the people upset about Hogan leaving were more bothered by the fact that the Bills let him walk without a tender so they got  nothing while he ran for New England and Brady's bosom. Woods was labeled a "replaceable #2" and Goodwin took more slings and arrows than both of them combined. Many fans were happy to see him go and labeled him 'Glass Goodwin'. Sammy and Fitz were just about run out of town on a rail. As somebody on here said, Bills fans are bipolar . Maybe they're 'Bills-polar'? They hate what they have until it's gone.

23 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

How is that a cheap shot or an attack?  Are these or are these not topics you have introduced and pursued?

I just find it ironic that you’re so prescriptive and even sanctimonious about what should or should not be discussed here given topics you introduce.  

It’s not a mod thing.

You mentioned an unrelated topic, in an attempt to make me look bad.  That’s why I said it was a cheap shot.  But keep pretending like it wasn’t.  I guess I just expect more from a mod.  Silly me

11 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Come on, you know you long for Whaley's dynastic 7-9 teams featuring Tyrod & Sammy.

Yep exactly

16 minutes ago, Dadonkadonk said:

I think most on this board do no romanticize having those players on the team.  I think most on here try to evaluate the decisions that were made at the time and then also see the impact of those decision down the road.  I think those decisions are key to evaluating the performance to the GM, HC, and Pro-personnel team.  

Most on here and our current GM believe the Bills should build through the draft.  Ok fine. Then when you draft players like Watkins, Dareus, Gilmore, etc and then let them walk or trade them it is quite fair to critique the decisions.  

Take Dareus for instance. The draft pick in return is worthless. The run defense is worse. But the full impact of that move will not be known until we see what FA signings occur with the extra cap space.

Gilmore is the starting CB for the best HC in NFL history.  And somehow we should not question the decision to let him walk?  No contract extension?  No franchise tag?  If you are going to credit McD with the 2017 draft then you have to add the Gilmore decision to his decision making body of work.  And then McD and Beane need to own up to a 3rd round comp pick that was wasted by keeping a couple of FA signings on the team that offer little to no value.

In many cases I have agreed with the decisions to let players go. I would not have paid Goodwin the money he got from San Francisco.  But great for him that he is doing great.  I have no issues with that decision.  

The Bills have the worst WR group in the league.  Watkins should still be on this team and he would be the best player on the field.  They didn't even need to extend his deal. They could have just picked up his option and used the tag the following year.  

These are all decisions that have consequences.  I am not romanticizing having Watkins on the team.  I am evaluating the series of decisions that produced the group of WRs on the field.

Yellow Flag for Romanticizing on Sammy Watkins.  They could have picked up the option but just like the Rams, they didn’t think he would be worth the money.  Second, if they tag Sammy they are paying him at the top 5 at his position.  Look at his stat line today....was he really worth it?

you can definitely criticize some decisions, but I think moving on from Sammy was the right decision on hindsight

Edited by BuffaloRush

People's memories get hazy the further out they get...they start misremembering things or only remember their really good games like Fitz's huge game against the Pats that broke the losing streak to them, his opening day win in KC where we slapped the Chiefs all over the place, or his game against the Raiders where he won on the last play of the game with a TD to Nelson.

They forget all the times we came out and took the lead in the first quarter and then he did absolutely nothing for the next 2 and a half quarters as the other team slowly climbed back in the game and then took the lead leaving Fitz to try and mount a 4th quarter comeback which almost always came up short in predictable ways like him throwing a game ending INT.

Fitz will have a few good games early in the year.  Then teams will figure him out like they always do and figure out his physical limitations and what he can and cannot do and will squat on the short routes and force him to beat them down the field and he just can't do it.  We already have watched this movie play out.  You can watch the same movie as many times as you want but you aren't going to get a different beginning, middle and end of it.

Edited by matter2003

44 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

You mentioned an unrelated topic, in an attempt to make me look bad. 

I see a relationship.  You don't.  I'm unclear why you feel the mention makes you look bad, unless you actually do, in fact, see the relationship.

A Koan.  I shall take it to PM.

55 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Come on, you know you long for Whaley's dynastic 7-9 teams featuring Tyrod & Sammy.

Ha.  Well, actually, right now I do.  But in the morning I'll probably remember the Rex-coached game that led me to change my screen name and get over it.

I never thought we should have gotten rid of of Fitz or Hogan, and I still dont. I think we would have ended the drought sooner if we would have kept Fitz but I wasn't crazy enough to think we would have won a Superbowl with him. Hogan while not spectacular was reliable.

I admit to being guilty on Woods and Goodwin though. It seemed like one or the other was out every game the last year they where here.

Don't think it's accurate to say keeping TT is romanticizing. He was some how divisive given that half the fan base like d him and half thought he was holding the team back.

That half that thought he was good wins today in an unhappy landslide for all Bills fans.

If 3 Years of amateur OCs and practice squad WRs wasn't enough, add in a college OC and a worse than ever OL and you get this joke of a game.

Those who think that the Bills O issues were TTs fault were rudely awakened today. The Ravens aren't that good - yet they held this Bills O without TT to no first downs in the first half - and 3 points all game. 

Tyrod was just good enough - damned good enough - to cover up the O problems all the way back to a Rex D and that fvcktard OC (same as Kaepernick's)  OC from the 49ers - Roman, right? Then the upend coming RB coach ?Lynn ? Now  a COLLEGE OC.

Quit it. Huge salary cap relief in 2019 needs to go to - real WR's. Real OC, Real OL.

Tyrod haters and "process" followers got completely exposed today. All arguments against are silly. Same dude tied the Steelers in his first outing on a brand new BROWNS team. Let that sink in.

Rear view mirror is never what to look at. Tyrod's time at the Bills is potentially properly noted but I suspect not.

Going forward, commit to a real OC, and real WRs.

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BuffaloRush said:

You mentioned an unrelated topic, in an attempt to make me look bad.  That’s why I said it was a cheap shot.  But keep pretending like it wasn’t.  I guess I just expect more from a mod.  Silly me

Yep exactly

Yellow Flag for Romanticizing on Sammy Watkins.  They could have picked up the option but just like the Rams, they didn’t think he would be worth the money.  Second, if they tag Sammy they are paying him at the top 5 at his position.  Look at his stat line today....was he really worth it?

you can definitely criticize some decisions, but I think moving on from Sammy was the right decision on hindsight

34 minutes ago, moshermw said:

Don't think it's accurate to say keeping TT is romanticizing. He was some how divisive given that half the fan base like d him and half thought he was holding the team back.

That half that thought he was good wins today in an unhappy landslide for all Bills fans.

If 3 Years of amateur OCs and practice squad WRs wasn't enough, add in a college OC and a worse than ever OL and you get this joke of a game.

Those who think that the Bills O issues were TTs fault were rudely awakened today. The Ravens aren't that good - yet they held this Bills O without TT to no first downs in the first half - and 3 points all game. 

Tyrod was just good enough - damned good enough - to cover up the O problems all the way back to a Rex D and that fvcktard OC (same as Kaepernick's)  OC from the 49ers - Roman, right? Then the upend coming RB coach ?Lynn ? Now  a COLLEGE OC.

Quit it. Huge salary cap relief in 2019 needs to go to - real WR's. Real OC, Real OL.

Tyrod haters and "process" followers got completely exposed today. All arguments against are silly. Same dude tied the Steelers in his first outing on a brand new BROWNS team. Let that sink in.

Rear view mirror is never what to look at. Tyrod's time at the Bills is potentially properly noted but I suspect not.

Going forward, commit to a real OC, and real WRs.

Roman's offense just put up 47 points and Lynn is the HC of next week's opponent - the LA Chargers.  Yes the Chargers are no longer in San Diego.  

46 minutes ago, steven50 said:

I never thought we should have gotten rid of of Fitz or Hogan, and I still dont. I think we would have ended the drought sooner if we would have kept Fitz but I wasn't crazy enough to think we would have won a Superbowl with him. Hogan while not spectacular was reliable.

I admit to being guilty on Woods and Goodwin though. It seemed like one or the other was out every game the last year they where here.

Nobody in Buffalo thought Woods was worth the money the Rams gave him.  The problem is Zay Jones sucks and the Bills drafted him (wasting an additonal pick to move up) to replace Woods.  

There are a few factors at work here.

First, most fans have really short memories.

Second, most fans just want us to win and be successful.

Third, when things go wrong, most fans assume success can most easily be effected through change.

Fourth, many fans prefer the devil they know to the devil they don't know.

Add it all up and people end up calling for ex-Bills when things go wrong, even though they probably don't really want the guys to come back.

• Like (+1) 1

all i will say on the matter (for now because i have to go to work) is that we all sat through an absolute embarrassment. a massacre. a swirly that had a gigantic floater in the bowl! and i am pretty sure many of us drank a beverage or nine. then, the slaughter ended. the drinking continued. and we all marched on over to TBD to vent in our own way. Huzzah!

2 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I don't know about you guys, but I hated having players better than the ones we have now. 

It is perfectly fine to enjoy good memories of the football immortals who played in their prime in Buffalo, and truly dominated and are in the Hall of Fame

Pining away for Sammy or Fitz is not within a million miles of that