1989 Cowboys - an example of early process

dubs

7 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Oh, I forgot, ANOTHER rebuild year.  I don't recall anyone from the BILLS saying that, leading up to the season.  It's unfortunate that every year seems to be a rebuild year for us.

Another?  When was the last real rebuild year?  The Whaley try and fill holes approach yielded NFL purgatory, finishing middle of the pack every year. 

This is is it folks. This is the pain the team has pushed off for years. One year, really painful then emerge from the abyss with a (hopefully) franchise QB, MLB, CB a ton of cap space and a full set of draft picks. 

43 minutes ago, Chris66 said:

Different era. In 89' college ball and pro ball was pretty similar at the qb position. Now college ball is way different an the majority of qbs are not being coached to do well in the pro's. Nfl desperately needs a development league.

I'm not sure that the QBs aren't being trained for the NFL, top teams have usually run the option for 100 years now.

The NCAA RB talent has plummeted, which has resulted in QBs not having an NFL RB to rely on to take the pressure off 1/2 the plays

7 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Oh, I forgot, ANOTHER rebuild year.  I don't recall anyone from the BILLS saying that, leading up to the season.  It's unfortunate that every year seems to be a rebuild year for us.

Actually , it’s not a rebuild year. The Bills FO has continually said things like “ were not where we want to be” or “ we have a long way to go” . But a rebuild year is implying something is actually being added, and in many areas it isn’t. That’s because of all the contracts / players that were jettisoned and the cap purgatory it created. They had very little money to spend, and were barely able to field an actual team. The talent is 2nd and 3rd tier up and down the roster. It reminds one of the mid ‘80s when Ralph Wilson was pinching his pennies and the Bills were the joke of the NFL. I’m not sure Nate Peterman is even as good as Bruce Mathison or Joe Dufek. The Oline is putrid as well. 

12 hours ago, DuckyBoys said:

hard to fix years of bad drafts  Hopefully Allen is for real.  Edmunds looks good, Harrison might be ok. Tre White and Dion Dawkins were good picks.  They need to start hiitting on 2-3 above avg starters each draft

That at is actually a little false

how many high 1st or 2nd round picks they have signed to second contracts and not see them walk or traded them away or forced to retire dye to injury?

a big issue is head coach stability and stick to a defense system.

38 minutes ago, dubs said:

Another?  When was the last real rebuild year?  The Whaley try and fill holes approach yielded NFL purgatory, finishing middle of the pack every year. 

This is is it folks. This is the pain the team has pushed off for years. One year, really painful then emerge from the abyss with a (hopefully) franchise QB, MLB, CB a ton of cap space and a full set of draft picks. 

Rebuilding occurs every time there is an; owner/HC/GM change.  It may not be branded that, but it does happen.  That does not easy any pain, but it gets old, especially as concerns the Bills.

48 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

I wish we had done a rebuild years ago instead of settling into mediocrity for 17 years. They tore this puppy down based on lack of money, and lack of talent. The FO is never going to admit to a rebuilding year, ever.  They got their QB this year, so that is the main piece. And now "we" build going forward - with money (for FA), and hopefully more draft talent. 

17 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I wish we had done a rebuild years ago instead of settling into mediocrity for 17 years. They tore this puppy down based on lack of money, and lack of talent. The FO is never going to admit to a rebuilding year, ever.  They got their QB this year, so that is the main piece. And now "we" build going forward - with money (for FA), and hopefully more draft talent. 

OK, fair enough BUT why don't we notice this in other teams?  We're not the masters of the rebuild, because, despite our many tries, they have all been mostly unsuccessful. :doh:

1 hour ago, djp14150 said:

That at is actually a little false

how many high 1st or 2nd round picks they have signed to second contracts and not see them walk or traded them away or forced to retire dye to injury?

a big issue is head coach stability and stick to a defense system.

2016 draft total wash and this is within 2 years

2015 draft Darby you can argue

2014 total bust

2013 total bust

2012 Gilmore and Glenn both played well

2011 Aaron Williams cut short by injury Dareus never lived up to expectations

Not a lot there to build on  You can maybe argue we should have paid & kept Dareus/Gilmore/Darby/Watkins/Glenn  but all have their issues or left with huge dollar deals they wont ever live up to Last decent long term draft they had was in 2009 when they got Levitre/Wood/Byrd  That's pretty terrible when that is a 10 year highlight

There is losing and being competitive. And then there is losing and being an utter disgrace. They were the latter.

I was in the group that saw this as a flawed 4-6 win team, but at least figured the defense would look better. Instead everything looked awful, the team looked disinterested, the coaching staff was a train wreck, and faith in the process is legitimately questioned thanks to our GM's lack of moves to address the OL or WR.

These are the kind of games that are red flags on a coach and open really tough and bad questions you don't want to ask but have to.

51 minutes ago, DuckyBoys said:

2016 draft total wash and this is within 2 years

2015 draft Darby you can argue

2014 total bust

2013 total bust

2012 Gilmore and Glenn both played well

2011 Aaron Williams cut short by injury Dareus never lived up to expectations

Not a lot there to build on  You can maybe argue we should have paid & kept Dareus/Gilmore/Darby/Watkins/Glenn  but all have their issues or left with huge dollar deals they wont ever live up to Last decent long term draft they had was in 2009 when they got Levitre/Wood/Byrd  That's pretty terrible when that is a 10 year highlight

Dont figet you had GM and coach change.  Many players fit a certain type of system or are their guys.

dont evaluate players purely on your view through rise colored glasses.