1989 Cowboys - an example of early process

dubs

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1989_Dallas_Cowboys_season

I’m not suggesting the Bills will end up winning multiple Super Bowls like the Cowboys did. What I am suggesting is that this is what to expect when a rebuild works. It’s what I kind of think Beane and McDermott have in mind. Would be nice to get a haul for McCoy like the Cowboys did for Hershel Walker (I know that’s not possible), but at least the Bills have their first round pick next year. 

Its not an exact parallel, but I think you can get the point.  If next year isn’t much better, then yes, I’m jumping ship. Right now, this is totally expected and frankly necessary. 

• Like (+1) 4

The '89 Cowboys provide a pretty good argument for why it is okay to start Allen. Aikman got killed his first year, but he learned a lot and improved. And, it certainly didn't "break him." This season is going to be garbage for the Bills either way. Might as well let the kid start and get some much needed experience.

• Like (+1) 4

11 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

You better hope like hell that Beane and McDermott are able to evaluate talent like Jimmy Johnson did.  

We will see, that’s the point I’m constantly trying to make around here. 

In 1989, I’m sure the fans were livid. Out of the playoffs for 5 straight years, drafted two QBs giving up a first rounder next year, traded away their best talent at the time in Walker.  New coach, new owner. Terrible. Three years later they are super bowl champs. 

Again, I’m not predicting that or saying the roadmap is even similar, but generally that’s what the bills are trying to do. Get key young pieces last year and this is the point we are at. 

The Seahawks, Eagles and now maybe Rams and potentially Bears have shown a path to Super Bowl contention. Get a passable QB on a rookie deal, use the cap savings to build a loaded roster around him. 

If we add someone like Nick Bosa or Ed Oliver, we should be very cheap and potentially good at QB / LT / pass rusher / MLB / CB. 

Clearing out the dead cap this year “should” allow the team to be major players in FA and quickly build the talent level of the roster. Our best hope is that’s the plan. 

• Like (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, October 1918 said:

The '89 Cowboys provide a pretty good argument for why it is okay to start Allen. Aikman got killed his first year, but he learned a lot and improved. And, it certainly didn't "break him." This season is going to be garbage for the Bills either way. Might as well let the kid start and get some much needed experience.

This is where I’m at now also. 

25 minutes ago, dubs said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1989_Dallas_Cowboys_season

I’m not suggesting the Bills will end up winning multiple Super Bowls like the Cowboys did. What I am suggesting is that this is what to expect when a rebuild works. It’s what I kind of think Beane and McDermott have in mind. Would be nice to get a haul for McCoy like the Cowboys did for Hershel Walker (I know that’s not possible), but at least the Bills have their first round pick next year. 

Its not an exact parallel, but I think you can get the point.  If next year isn’t much better, then yes, I’m jumping ship. Right now, this is totally expected and frankly necessary. 

Well at least one fan gets it. Everyone thought they were tanking last year but in reality last year was mainly just an evaluation and all about acquiring future cap space and assests to acquire a QB. Well we now have a potential franchise QB, Franchise MLB and stud defensive tackle for years to come. The first two being the hardest to find. If those picks hit it will be the best draft in Bills history and people are ready to fire him already. Bills fans really sound like a bunch of whiny children right now just because we somehow stumbled into the playoffs last year.

I think a lot of Bills fans and people on this message board don't understand rebuilds. We now have the ability to go get a bunch of starters or depth via free agency and if handled correctly with trading down if we get a top pick could add 8-10 starters to this team next year and keep moving forward from there. Brandon Beane is doing this the right way and people are just being ridiculous because they want to be good right now.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

Well at least one fan gets it. Everyone thought they were tanking last year but in reality last year was mainly just an evaluation and all about acquiring future cap space and assests to acquire a QB. Well we now have a potential franchise QB, Franchise MLB and stud defensive tackle for years to come. The first two being the hardest to find. If those picks hit it will be the best draft in Bills history and people are ready to fire him already. Bills fans really sound like a bunch of whiny children right now just because we somehow stumbled into the playoffs last year.

I think a lot of Bills fans and people on this message board don't understand rebuilds. We now have the ability to go get a bunch of starters or depth via free agency and if handled correctly with trading down if we get a top pick could add 8-10 starters to this team next year and keep moving forward from there. Brandon Beane is doing this the right way and people are just being ridiculous because they want to be good right now.

Also they fail to realize the rut this team was in. People on this board seriously lamenting Whaley being gone, even though his time here was as mediocre as it gets. 

This Year is going to be rough. Last year takes the sting away a little but it’s still going to be brutal to watch. But if Allen shows promise and improvement and some of the younger guys on D do the same then Beane can focus on OLine and WR in the offseason. Despite how horrible today was, I felt like Allen was ok and so was Edmunds. 

Edited by dubs
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, dubs said:

Also they fail to realize the rut this team was in. People on this board seriously lamenting Whaley being gone, even though his time here was as mediocre as it gets. 

This is Year is going to be rough. Last year takes the sting away a little but it’s still going to be brutal to watch. But if Allen shows promise and improvement and some of the younger guys on D do the same then Beane can focus on OLine and WR in the offseason. Despite how horrible today was, I felt like Allen was ok and so was Edmunds. 

I felt the same way. The future looks bright to me because they are actually doing the rebuild the right way which is meant to be painful. NBA teams do this all the time. In this case though we hopefully have our franchise guy and now it's all just about building around him. The hard part is over. Now it's all about building after this season is over. 

My example of this was when the Derrick Rose went down with an ACL injury in the playoffs and the Bulls really needed to evaluate their roster at this point. They had lost to Miami the year before in the playoffs. They needed to find another young star to pair Rose with especially coming off of an injury but instead they were the try hard Bulls that year just like the Bills last year and they made the playoffs and won a series because they had a good coach and a good system and no quit. But looking back is was 100% the wrong decision. They needed to tank and rebuild the roster and it set them back years and now they have finally opted for that process years past when they should have done it.

I don't expect the Bills to be continually bad for years to come but I hope we get a top pick while Allen, Dawkins, White, Edmunds, Milano, Phillips all get valuable experience and look better by the end of the year doing it.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Granted, but we need help now!

This is a rebuild year.  Help is not coming in 2018. 

Depending on how Josh Allen advances, next year will be an interesting year.  With all that cap money to spend, the Bills could be a very different, much improved, team very quickly. 2018 is just a how high are we picking in the next draft year. The last thing anyone should want is another 6-10, 7-9, 8-8 record. The pain and suffering of this year should (please, please, please) lay the groundwork of many good years to come.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

This is a rebuild year.  Help is not coming in 2018. 

Depending on how Josh Allen advances, next year will be an interesting year.  With all that cap money to spend, the Bills could be a very different, much improved, team very quickly. 2018 is just a how high are we picking in the next draft year. The last thing anyone should want is another 6-10, 7-9, 8-8 record. The pain and suffering of this year should (please, please, please) lay the groundwork of many good years to come.

Oh, I forgot, ANOTHER rebuild year.  I don't recall anyone from the BILLS saying that, leading up to the season.  It's unfortunate that every year seems to be a rebuild year for us.