This one is on the coaches.

GreggTX

37 minutes ago, Jasovon said:

While the talent level is clearly not there, the lack of discipline is pure coaching. I agree not a good showing. 

I agree with you.

What was even more evident, on offense the starters could not move the ball against the Ravens backups. And the defense were still struggling with their 2nd team offense, how bad is that?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, pimp on da' net said:

I agree with you.

What was even more evident, on offense the starters could not move the ball against the Ravens backups. And the defense were still struggling with their 2nd team offense, how bad is that?

I hope we're intentionally tanking, because otherwise this franchise could be in real trouble.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GreggTX said:

I know we don't have much talent on this roster, but most of these guys have at least played in the NFL before. The coaches simply MUST do a better job of getting this team prepared. It's only 1 game, but McDermott and Beane will need to get things turned around and at least show a little competitiveness or their tenure at OBD could be short lived.

Every realistic person understood that the team was going to take a step backwards this year as part of a full rebuild throughout the organization, but they simply can't perform this poorly all year or the Pegula's will lose all confidence in them.

I don't expect them to play this bad every week, though. Still, even my prediction of 4-5 wins is looking pretty shakey right now.

Based on what?  the talent is garbage

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Jasovon said:

While the talent level is clearly not there, the lack of discipline is pure coaching. I agree not a good showing. 

Holding penalties and jumping  off-sides on both sides of the ball are often the result of players being overmatched and trying not to get beat.

• Like (+1) 2

This year we're spending $60 million less on current players salaries than the league allows.   We've got 53 mil in dead money and another 7 mil unspent.  

Only one team in the league has even half as much dead money as we have - Dallas with 28 mil.  

To put this in perspective another way, we just lost to a team that has $30 million dollars more talent (2018 spending) than we have.  Later this season, we'll ask McD to beat the Belichick & the Pats even though they're spending $40 million dollars on their roster than we are.  

No team in the league is spending as little on current player salaries as we are.  There's only so much the coaching staff can do when other teams are fielding better players.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/ 

• Thank you (+1) 4

The lack of discipline was appalling. Having Petermen come out slinging the ball in the driving rain was a head scratching decision. The best player on our team touched the ball only 7 times all game. You don't have running back by committee when you have LeSean McCoy on your team!

The Players didn't seem focused at all and some of that I attribute to the constant switching around of personnel. They need time to work together, pick a line up and stick with it for more then 2 days. Deciding who is going to start on game day and splitting reps all week leads to confusion and half trained starters.

The front office cooked up this disaster by getting people like Chris Ivory and ignoring the wide receiver corps except for picking up someone they could get with a pack of bubble gum. Does anyone have the number of drops today? I haven't seen that many drops in little league games.

Like many fans I think this game spent just a ton of the good will I had for this administration. I trusted the process and believed the coaches and front office knew things I didn't but holy cow that was epic. 2nd biggest loss in franchise history and it could have gotten worse if Baltimore would have kept the starters in.

I honestly didn't expect them to win but I also didn't expect them to look like Buff State playing the defending Super Bowl Champions.

It's on the coaches 100%. they tinkered around with the lineup in every position for far too long in the pre-season. The starters need time to gel and work together. I'm going to give a pass this week and expect 3-4 roster moves with established vets coming in on the OL and WR. I expect to see a different team with Allen behind center for our home opener. After next week, no more excuses.

2 minutes ago, steven50 said:

The lack of discipline was appalling. Having Petermen come out slinging the ball in the driving rain was a head scratching decision. The best player on our team touched the ball only 7 times all game. You don't have running back by committee when you have LeSean McCoy on your team!

The Players didn't seem focused at all and some of that I attribute to the constant switching around of personnel. They need time to work together, pick a line up and stick with it for more then 2 days. Deciding who is going to start on game day and splitting reps all week leads to confusion and half trained starters.

The front office cooked up this disaster by getting people like Chris Ivory and ignoring the wide receiver corps except for picking up someone they could get with a pack of bubble gum. Does anyone have the number of drops today? I haven't seen that many drops in little league games.

Like many fans I think this game spent just a ton of the good will I had for this administration. I trusted the process and believed the coaches and front office knew things I didn't but holy cow that was epic. 2nd biggest loss in franchise history and it could have gotten worse if Baltimore would have kept the starters in.

I honestly didn't expect them to win but I also didn't expect them to look like Buff State playing the defending Super Bowl Champions.

I agree McCoy should  have touched the ball more.  He's our only star offensive player.  When you have only one quality weapon, you need to use it.

On the other hand, the OL was so bad - in fact, the whole team was so bad - that I don't think it mattered who was getting the hand-off.  This game was going to be a rout no matter what.  As the old adage goes, games are won and lost in the trenches.  We lost in the trenches.  

3 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

If you want to make rational criticisms of McD, go ahead.

But do you really need to act like a 10 year old and make up insulting nicknames?

Let's elevate the conversation.

Heres an elevated conversation; when you’re the head coach and your team gets its nuts stomped like that, “McDipshit” is fair game. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I agree, it's on coaching and the front office. They were the ones who believed Nate Peterman is a starting QB (a 5th round draft pick who's scouting report at the draft had him as a backup at most) could come in and start  with little development and didnt need to get an established veteran option this offseason. AJ was the veteran, when this team needed someone with more experience to fill in until Allen is deemed ready to take over.

There was no need or urgency from the front office to find replacements for the online when they lost 2/5ths of the line to surprise retirements. The line was already a spot that could have used some upgrading and only got worse.

Their big upgrades to the WRs was another older mediocre vet in Kerley and some late picks after letting a decent WR walk after dealing for him last offseason. They make another late attempt to improve by trading a 7th for a guy they then gave up on after  a few weeks.

They cant keep hemorrhaging talent just to acquire more picks they hope can be used to obtain younger talent that might eventually be as good.

47 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I agree McCoy should  have touched the ball more.  He's our only star offensive player.  When you have only one quality weapon, you need to use it.

On the other hand, the OL was so bad - in fact, the whole team was so bad - that I don't think it mattered who was getting the hand-off.  This game was going to be a rout no matter what.  As the old adage goes, games are won and lost in the trenches.  We lost in the trenches.  

It wasn't all on the line, they weren't good, but they also weren't horrible, you cant get the running game going when the defence is playing to stop it every play because they know your not a threat to throw.

• Like (+1) 1

Whaley/Ryan > Beane/McD. Let's face it, McBeane backed into the playoffs last year with Whaley/Rex's team. The only unit on the entire team that I've seen any improvement in are the safeties. It looks like this is going to be a very long season to "process"..

2 hours ago, jrober38 said:

I disagree. 

We probably have the least talented team in the league. 

Coaching was a big reason we overachieved last year. 

The players simply didn't execute. We got dominated on both lines, and our QBs were awful. 

Coaching had nothing to do with it.

Our success last year was the byproduct of 2 things.

First, our quarterback (Tyrod, no longer on team) holds onto the ball better than any QB in NFL history.  He simply won't turn it over.

Second, especially for the first half or so of the season, we had a crazy takeaway rate.

There is no statistic more indicative of winning or losing than takeaway/giveaways.  It's more important as a predictor of success than scoring for God's sake...and we had a fantastic ratio.

You take that ratio away last year and no way in hell do we make the playoffs.  

McDermott's actual in-game coaching was filled with mistakes and tactical miscues.