Week 2: Chargers Game Preparation - Beautiful Day for Football!

26CornerBlitz

1 hour ago, Heitz said:

Which is the funniest part to me - how many times have I read on TBD "I'd rather lose EVERY game and get the number 1 pick, than win 7 or 8 games and pick in the middle of the draft."  

Well, good news everyone, looks like we're not going to be middling this year!

As for it getting hot, just the nature of the NFL (or pro sports).  I mean the Eagles, in their first game after winning the freaking Super Bowl got booed at half time.  Fans are impatient and are going to B word no matter what happens.  As has been joked, we could win the Super Bowl (clearly this is in some galaxy far far away) and fans would still say "We only won by 3, we got lucky!". ?

McDermott is live on Schopp and the Bulldog, right now, FWIW.

Watch!  This will be the year we actually end up with the #1 pick, but we won't take a QB because "we already have our guy."

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

He got that chance LAST year in Los Angeles.  It was at least 80 degrees and more than half the fans were rooting for the Bills.  I was there....and then everything fell apart.

yeah but there's a part of me that hopes he can redeem himself at some point. i believe he can do it.  besides, if allen starts next week....behind this line, does anyone think we'll make the playoffs?

2 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Watch!  This will be the year we actually end up with the #1 pick, but we won't take a QB because "we already have our guy."

that would suck...but billsy tho

4 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

yeah but there's a part of me that hopes he can redeem himself at some point. i believe he can do it.  besides, if allen starts next week....behind this line, does anyone think we'll make the playoffs?

We can only hope he's better after sleeping in his own bed, instead of at a Holiday Inn Express.

48 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I can’t look away from car accidents either but I’d rather watch a WNBA preseason game than that scrub. He’s literally the worst QB ever!! He has already been handed more of an opportunity than anyone with his resume deserves and failed each time. Release him now and let him get his Insurance career jump started. 

He's already been give more opportunities than Brian Brohm, Levi Brown, and Cardale Jones combined.

I listened to McDermott after the game, today at his presser, and then on WGR and I come away with the same thoughts......  He wishes there was a way that he could avoid playing Allen because he's not ready and needs more time, but he knows that he can't very well roll Peterman out there and have it go terribly wrong....AGAIN.

McDermott always says he thinks of ever possible angle when making a decision, but I can guarantee you there is no way he thought Peterman would be as terrible as he was yesterday.  And now, he is in a very tough spot.

I was one of Allen's detractors at draft time, not because of his talent, but because he was going to require time and had the furthest to go to be ready.  Now, I have seen Allen make great strides with his lower half mechanics from where he was in college which is encouraging, but there are other concerning things that are still very noticeable that shows he may not be ready.  The biggest of those is his tendency to run from phantom pressure.  Now, it really isn't all his fault.  I mean, who can blame him playing behind Wyoming's O-Line and now ours.  Both are absolutely atrocious and he has become use to having to run for his life.  So, even when he has a clean pocket, he is way to quick to get out at times because he doesen't believe he actually has time to throw.  Like I said, hard to blame him, but it is an issue that will lead to missed plays, bad plays, and poor decisions at time.  So yeah, I am not sure Allen is ready either.

But this is the situation the team put themselves in by not getting anyone in the off season with any experience.  Bridgewater, or even Fitz, would have made a lot more sense as a placeholder, but it is what it is and now they have to pay the price.

It's not an easy decision.  Do you roll Peterman out there again, this time at home, against the team that destroyed him last year, coming off that performance yesterday and risk the stadium imploding with every incomplete pass?  Or, do you roll out the rookie, Josh Allen, who probably isn't completely ready, and risk developing bad habits, and perhaps stunting his growth because of the inferior talent around him?

I've been going back and forth like many here have.  Look, I want to win as much as the next guy, but I also don't want to risk hurting Allen's chance of being good.  As tough as it may be, I could honestly see McDermott throwing Perteman out there this week PRAYING that he looks somewhat competent.  It's a risk for sure as you will get eaten alive by fans and media all week and, if it goes sideways again on Sunday, becoming the laughingstock of the league.

That said, whether it happens this week, next week, or the week after that, Allen is going to be playing sooner than they hoped.  And with this being the only home game in September, and with the way Peterman burst into flames yesterday, there may not be a better time to put Allen out there early this season.

I think fans are smart enough to know we are not going to win many games this year.  I just hope that if they do put Allen out there, that the fans don't get on him about every little mistake because there will be plenty with the lack of talent around him. 

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

I find it astonishing that a starting QB was not named at this PC.

Regardless of who that is going to be, it is a clear cut mistake not to announce the decision, which I am sure they have already made.

The fact they didn't name one makes me think they are sticking with Peterman and they didn't want to listen to/answer all the "uhhhhhhh why?" Questions.

3 minutes ago, sven233 said:

I listened to McDermott after the game, today at his presser, and then on WGR and I come away with the same thoughts......  He wishes there was a way that he could avoid playing Allen because he's not ready and needs more time, but he knows that he can't very well roll Peterman out there and have it go terribly wrong....AGAIN.

McDermott always says he thinks of ever possible angle when making a decision, but I can guarantee you there is no way he thought Peterman would be as terrible as he was yesterday.  And now, he is in a very tough spot.

I was one of Allen's detractors at draft time, not because of his talent, but because he was going to require time and had the furthest to go to be ready.  Now, I have seen Allen make great strides with his lower half mechanics from where he was in college which is encouraging, but there are other concerning things that are still very noticeable that shows he may not be ready.  The biggest of those is his tendency to run from phantom pressure.  Now, it really isn't all his fault.  I mean, who can blame him playing behind Wyoming's O-Line and now ours.  Both are absolutely atrocious and he has become use to having to run for his life.  So, even when he has a clean pocket, he is way to quick to get out at times because he doesen't believe he actually has time to throw.  Like I said, hard to blame him, but it is an issue that will lead to missed plays, bad plays, and poor decisions at time.  So yeah, I am not sure Allen is ready either.

But this is the situation the team put themselves in by not getting anyone in the off season with any experience.  Bridgewater, or even Fitz, would have made a lot more sense as a placeholder, but it is what it is and now they have to pay the price.

It's not an easy decision.  Do you roll Peterman out there again, this time at home, against the team that destroyed him last year, coming off that performance yesterday and risk the stadium imploding with every incomplete pass?  Or, do you roll out the rookie, Josh Allen, who probably isn't completely ready, and risk developing bad habits, and perhaps stunting his growth because of the inferior talent around him?

I've been going back and forth like many here have.  Look, I want to win as much as the next guy, but I also don't want to risk hurting Allen's chance of being good.  As tough as it may be, I could honestly see McDermott throwing Perteman out there this week PRAYING that he looks somewhat competent.  It's a risk for sure as you will get eaten alive by fans and media all week and, if it goes sideways again on Sunday, becoming the laughingstock of the league.

That said, whether it happens this week, next week, or the week after that, Allen is going to be playing sooner than they hoped.  And with this being the only home game in September, and with the way Peterman burst into flames yesterday, there may not be a better time to put Allen out there early this season.

I think fans are smart enough to know we are not going to win many games this year.  I just hope that if they do put Allen out there, that the fans don't get on him about every little mistake because there will be plenty with the lack of talent around him. 

I don't know if they were really planning on Allen sitting too long with Nathan Peterman as his only obstacle.

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

I don't know if they were really planning on Allen sitting too long with Nathan Peterman as his only obstacle.

You could argue looking at it this way as a fan, but from all accounts, they LOVE them some Peterman in that building.  I truly think they thought he would be good enough to hold him for a while until Allen was definitely ready to go.

1 minute ago, sven233 said:

You could argue looking at it this way as a fan, but from all accounts, they LOVE them some Peterman in that building.  I truly think they thought he would be good enough to hold him for a while until Allen was definitely ready to go.

I guess but I mean even if they really liked Peterman he was still essentially a rookie QB with what 2 starts.

9 minutes ago, scribo said:

Is it possible McD didn't announce a starter today because he'd like the Chargers to spend more time reviewing film and game planning for two different QBs instead of focusing all their attention on just one?

At this point, not being definitive is over thinking the situation and muddying the water for your own team. 

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

At this point, not being definitive is over thinking the situation and muddying the water for your own team. 

This I agree with if a decision has really not been made.  He didn't tell us anything today, but that doesn't mean that behind closed doors the team hasn't already found out. 

But I think McDermott should have gone out there today with his decision and showed some conviction.  Right now he just looks scared to make a decision, which I guess you can't blame him for.  Not an ideal situation at all.

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Week 2: Chargers Game Preparation - Players Are Off Today

Quick Hits: QB decision to Be Determined

Bills head coach Sean McDermott knew the question was coming after saying Sunday night that he wanted to review the game tape before deciding on who would start at quarterback for him this week against Los Angeles.

“I know that question is coming, and it’ll probably be the first question,” said McDermott. “I’m still going through it. I’m going to continue to evaluate where we are, dotting the ‘I’s, crossing the ‘T’s and taking it one step at a time.”

So, McDermott will decide on his starting quarterback later in the week, presumably before the team begins installation of their game plan in practice on Wednesday.

Injury update Buffalo came out of the game with a pair of injuries. Nickel corner Taron Johnson sustained a shoulder injury in the first half while making a tackle and did not return.

Meanwhile DE Shaq Lawson suffered a hamstring injury.

Vontae fit to play The Bills chose to sit veteran CB Vontae Davis on Sunday as an inactive player. When asked about the decision to make Davis inactive last Sunday, McDermott stated it was a decision based on flexibility.