You gotta trade McCoy now... right?

Rigotz

3 hours ago, YodaMan79 said:

I'm astonished at the lack of awareness and understanding of the salary cap and position value.  RBs past the age of 28 have very little value in the trade market.  When you add to the equation a high cap number it's even less.  Also, the legal issues of this specific player and previously known character issues and you're stuck with him.  

Before the game, it was reported that no charges would be filed.  Just sayin'.

1 hour ago, PeterDude said:

Not to mention the Delicia stuff looming.

It ain't looming.

2 hours ago, ExWNYer said:

Maybe they can trade him to Oakland for AJ McCarron...

Sad it doesn't even sound that insane.

Anyway, yes, we should trade Shady for whatever we can get. He isn't part of what we're building (assuming we are building something) b/c he's too old to be useful so if we can get something and move him tomorrow I'm for it....also we can't block anyway so who cares just give it to Ivory and let him put his head down and grunt his way to 3 yards if he can. 

Edited by dayman

Just now, BuffaloRush said:

A trade is moot because you can't get more than a 6th round pick, so what's the point.  Murphy did look like the best runner today

IDK why you say that as though it's a fact or known...it may be possible to grab something in the 4 or 5 range. 

You're delusional.  If you could find a willing partner to accept the money owed (a big if) you're looking at a conditional 6th or 7th tops.  In a position of much higher value, what did the Bills get for M. Darius?

No, you’re delusional.  If we trade him, we’ll get more than a 6th.  Care to make a wager?

Name the charity. $50

You've been stuck in western NY too long.  The quality of sports journalism in other parts of the country allows the fans in those areas to look at facts and not be subjective and have opinions that are uniformed and baseless. 

Another front office like the Browns isn't going to bail this group of executives out. 

I'm astonished at the lack of awareness and understanding of the salary cap and position value.  RBs past the age of 28 have very little value in the trade market.  When you add to the equation a high cap number it's even less.  Also, the legal issues of this specific player and previously known character issues and you're stuck with him.  

I think a few years ago this was absolutely true.

But a few recent developments I think give new value to pretty much any kind of offensive playmaker.

1) The gradual shift of athletes from the RB position to the defensive side of the ball.    There was a time, when the running game ruled, that the teams 3 best athletes might be their RB1, RB2 and RB3.   But that was gradually changing and then the migration was rapidly accelerated when Goodell banned passing game violence and the following season 7 QB's all had top 25 all-time individual passing yardage seasons in the same year.   In the near decade since, with the run game de-emphasized, the money has moved those guys to secondaries, LB and pass rusher.

2) For some reason the WR pipeline from college ran dry since 2014.   It's having an impact.   With the exception of teams that have supernatural QB's that make everyone look good......everywhere else the demand for playmakers now FAR exceeds supply.

Do I think Shady could fetch a first rounder?   Of course not.   But I definitely think he could yield a third rounder from a contender and *maybe* even a second from an aggressive contender if the Bills sweeten the deal with a 4th or so.

7 minutes ago, wppete said:

Yup trade McCoy, Hughes, Clay and Benjamin. 

McCoy should go by the deadline. Mostly a salary dump from our perspective. He won’t get much in return, but there ought to be interested teams. Hughes might as well go too. Again, not much return. Benjamin, if healthy, will have a market and could actually yield more as a playoff stretch rental by a team that needs a big receiver. Clay: I see zero value there; his contract is basically not movable. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

San Francisco could be a willing partner down the road.

That is a good take.

They have tons of money to spend and, like the Jets, they found the pickings in free agency to be PALTRY and came out of the offseason with a lot less talent than people had anticipated when looking at the cap room they had.

If they are playing well in October that's a possible fit.

Do any of you know what his cap hit is for this year?  Over 11 million.  He's the 5th highest paid RB (when Bell reports) after the recent deals.  

Only a hand full of teams have the cap space. 

I think Lynch recently fetched a 5 round pick?  I can't recall any other recent RB trades.  The Raiders were ridiculed for being stupid then and that was with a 4.5 million salary for him.  What did the Bills get for Lynch when he was a young guy, a 4th?  

The Bills messed up giving McCoy an extension when it wasn't needed.  His cap hit is 9 million next year, too. They screwed up and as always we pay the price.  50-60 million in dead money over two years is inexcusable.

I'd bee thrilled to get a bag of balls for him at this point.  Anything more and we hit the jackpot.

Edited by YodaMan79