[Name Only Title] Nick O'Leary

Tcali

12 minutes ago, RobH063 said:

I haven't been following the bills too closely this off season. Is Jay Riemersma still the Tight End?

I heard we picked up some kid from the Cowboys, Something Chandler.  We better not drop him though or the Pats* get will get him.

Also, *golf reference/jack Nicholson/gloves*

(Did I hit all the angles?)

7 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Completely agree.  O'Leary was far more valuable as a sure hands possession TE than Lee is as a blocker. But you're right Clay will get hurt early and we'll just end up resigning Nick...

I think that's wrong. Your first TE is the one that should be catching passes. Anyone efter that is more valuable as a blocker because they will see such limited targets.

9 hours ago, BuffBillsForLife said:

Why do people always assume that every player we cut will wind up on the pats?  Generally if they can't make the Bills roster they aren't going to make theirs.

They have done well with a few players they sniped from us (eg Hogan), mixed with some (Gilmore, Chandler) and poorly with others (Gillislee)

2 hours ago, swnybillsfan said:

Lee is apparently the best blocker of our TE group. this may well be of importance because of the state of the offensive line. 

I kind of like O'Leary. Seems to be one of those guys who can find the seam and get open despite a lack of athleticism. But he is limited, and on this team there isn't a whole lot of room for an O'Leary type. Clay is a receiver-first TE, under a huge (mistake) contract. Croom shows real talent, but is a converted receiver. Thomas is a fantastic athlete - the type a rebuilding team needs to keep around - but is a converted WR and then QB. So you need the blocking TE on the roster unless you're going to dump one of the more talented athletes (or the hugely expensive underperformer).  I think Lee winds up playing a lot ...

I enjoyed cheering for him, appreciated his clutch catches and wish him the best. But I find it funny so many were so angry when he was cut, thinking they know better than the Bills' decision makers. Well, not signed - not even a report of being invited in for a workout. Seems to validate Beane and McD. Again, though, I like O'Leary and hope he does find a team again soon (just not an opponent of the Bills).

[This is an automated response]

As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive topic titles. A single name if far too vague to post as a title and provides little insight into what specifically the post is talking about.The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

52 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I kind of like O'Leary. Seems to be one of those guys who can find the seam and get open despite a lack of athleticism. But he is limited, and on this team there isn't a whole lot of room for an O'Leary type. Clay is a receiver-first TE, under a huge (mistake) contract. Croom shows real talent, but is a converted receiver. Thomas is a fantastic athlete - the type a rebuilding team needs to keep around - but is a converted WR and then QB. So you need the blocking TE on the roster unless you're going to dump one of the more talented athletes (or the hugely expensive underperformer).  I think Lee winds up playing a lot ...

yeah, i liked o'leary as well. but i think the potential and athletic ability of these other TE's made him expendable. i am sad to see him go, but ultimately happy that they are trying to upgrade the position. i have been wanting the Bills to try to use the TE more, and also to try to upgrade the position to insulate the passing game.

10 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Completely agree.  O'Leary was far more valuable as a sure hands possession TE than Lee is as a blocker. But you're right Clay will get hurt early and we'll just end up resigning Nick...

We already resigned him....

1 hour ago, Pablocruise said:

This is nothing like the Hogan situation. OLeary was cut. Hogan was restricted free agent and was lost  because Bills tendered him at a 5th instead of a 2nd because Whaley tried to save 900k. wouldn't match Pats offer.

FTFY.

4 hours ago, swnybillsfan said:

Lee is apparently the best blocker of our TE group. this may well be of importance because of the state of the offensive line. 

Inactive today.

6 hours ago, co_springs_billsfan said:

I heard we picked up some kid from the Cowboys, Something Chandler.  We better not drop him though or the Pats* get will get him.

Also, *golf reference/jack Nicholson/gloves*

(Did I hit all the angles?)

You did and you understand where I was going with my post. Very good!

11 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

O'Leary is the epitome of JAG in the NFL.  He is nothing special as a TE. 

he would have caught the ball that Thomas dropped.

8 hours ago, swnybillsfan said:

can he play tackle?