Hurricane Flo

Captain_Quint

I had a place on Topsail beach for a year, I’m hearing that’s already being evacuated. On a normal day the water would hit the beach houses, they approved some sandbagging plan and built walls in front of them. If that was the permanent fixture those places will end up in the ocean once Flo shows up.

18 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

I had a place on Topsail beach for a year, I’m hearing that’s already being evacuated. On a normal day the water would hit the beach houses, they approved some sandbagging plan and built walls in front of them. If that was the permanent fixture those places will end up in the ocean once Flo shows up.

I visited North Topsail once and saw a bunch of houses already in the water. The condo I took a look at looked like it was next.

1 hour ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Looks like current path has Wilmington in it’s crosshairs.  Yikes!

Wow... Our Niece from VT (Enosburg Falls)... Just started as Freshman @ UNC, Wilmington.  My sister texted yesterday that she got the hell out and is driving Asheville w/Her friend. Yesterday. She will be more @ home in mountains anyway! ??

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, ExiledInIllinois said:

Wow... Our Niece from VT (Enosburg Falls)... Just started as Freshman @ UNC, Wilmington.  My sister texted yesterday that she got the hell out and is driving Asheville w/Her friend. Yesterday. She will be more @ home in mountains anyway! ??

Oooh...Asheville’s got that good cheeba too!  She will be safe and stoned ?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Oooh...Asheville’s got that good cheeba too!  She will be safe and stoned ?

LoL...Just got text from my Baby sister.  They arrived in Asheville at Her friend's house @ 5pm... Smart girls, get out early!

1 hour ago, Boyst62 said:

Can you get flood insurance if you have a houseboat?  Or would it actually be drought insurance?

My other niece is on the Pamilco river in NC... Estuary... Her house is on stilts!

Gonna need them!!! Wonder what she will do with vehicles.  I told her last year, have a plan and jonboat tied to stilts... Keep the motor in the house.

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Ashevelle is not the best place to be during a major rain-producing event.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.citizen-times.com/amp/15217637

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Ashevelle is not the best place to be during a major rain-producing event.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.citizen-times.com/amp/15217637

Looks like going right up gut of NC.

Yeah... My sis is nervous, remembers a what they went through in VT.

Her friends parents are from Albany & Plattsburgh.  Hopefully they bought high ground, which my sister thinks... But she Googled Earth them... Says: "Lots of trees."

I said for her to relax... But too funny, sister spec'd out "lay of land" on Google Earth! LoL...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

On 9/8/2018 at 8:04 PM, Augie said:

Unless it’s a Cat 4-5 we paid little attention. The BIG ONES you had better respect. I love the old Ron White bit on hurricanes, but I’m just too lazy and inept to find the clip. “It’s not THAT the wind is blowing.....it is WHAT the wind is blowing. When that yield sign goes thru your spleen....”  haha, great stuff. 

On 9/9/2018 at 11:19 AM, ExiledInIllinois said:

When both sides of the books don't balance... That's insurance.  Too many payouts, not enough in.

Profits come first.

Bullshite. Insurance is about mitigating risk to a group of people. Everyone with the same risk level pays the same rate. It's all actuarially based on statistics. i.e., the probability that an adverse event will occur to any individual policy holder. You may never make a claim, but your premiums help the insurer pay out for the legitimate claims of other policyholders. 

On 9/10/2018 at 8:50 AM, Boyst62 said:

Is this something I need to pay attention to?  Something that should concern me????

On 9/10/2018 at 11:20 AM, Boyst62 said:

Yes, of course.  Cows can swim. Not great but they can

Ah... meh'bee

Best to bring the cows inside your house. Just to be safe Jeff. 

On 9/10/2018 at 8:30 PM, JohnC said:

Is the home insurance getting exorbitantly high as these storms seem to get stronger and be more frequent? Anyone facing the storm/s I wish you well. 

Insurers won't insure many properties because the risk of catastrophe is too high. It's no different than getting insurance for a Pro athlete against them getting a career-ending injury. The higher the risk, the higher the premiums.

On 9/10/2018 at 8:41 PM, Augie said:

It’s funny, living in Atlanta now everybody freaks out if you’re in a flood zone. PANIC! They had a 500 year flood about 10 years ago and there was a ton of damage. (Typical flood zone info is based on 100 year flood results.) 

In Florida, you would prefer not to be in a flood zone, but you want to be near the beach/water, so the most desireable property probably IS in a flood zone. You pay the extra insurance as part of the cost of being in the more desirable location. We were lucky with our first house, I was close enough to HEAR boats, but not in a flood zone. Our next door neighbor was actually IN the flood zone, but if you are out the insurance is dirt cheap. 

Many governmental jurisdictions had to redraw their flood zone maps. The FEDs are doing everything they can to get more people to sign up for flood insurance because the fewer the policy holders - the more money the FEDs have to get out of the general coffers to pay for the areas who do have insurance and got flooded. What makes no sense to me, however are the people who get flooded out of their homes by swollen rivers every three to five years and then they rebuild on the same site. :wallbash: If they do that they should have their premiums go into orbit.

I've been hearing for days about how this severe hurricane is going to hit us. I got the generator gassed and oiled, stocked up on beer and dry goods, cleaned and filled all my water containers, and I'm ready for the storm. Now I hear it's changed course and we'll get 2-4" of rain. This blows.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1