Hurricane Flo

Captain_Quint

8 hours ago, billsfanmiami(oh) said:

Heading to Charleston at the end of next week to golf. Hopefully....

I was at a work/golf outing outside Columbia, SC (Camden) a month or so after Hugo came through. It was surreal! Almost every tree that had been along the course was placed in ENORMOUS mounds anywhere they had space to put them of the fairways and greens. It was....spooky. 

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Good luck east coasters. We just had one 2 weeks ago and now one more bearing down tomorrow...and another one behind that one.

“Tis the season! No, not THAT season. 

Oh well.

Emergency harvest of my petit verdot grapes tomorrow and Wed., a week early.

Fortunately, my grapes are in good shape, but would have really benefited from another week hanging.

A week of rain would really hurt, so starting at 4am, we will harvest.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/8/2018 at 7:40 PM, Augie said:

We lived VERY close to the water in SC and FL for 30 years (we could hear the boats - it costs an extra million to SEE the boats). Worst I ever got hit by a hurricane was just south of Charlotte. Tree in the kitchen and another on my car. No power for a few weeks, and water took twice as long. I just drove home to Hilton Head with a crushed windshield to find a few pine cones had fallen. Gee, glad we ran away to the in-laws....

Is the home insurance getting exorbitantly high as these storms seem to get stronger and be more frequent? Anyone facing the storm/s I wish you well. 

5 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Is the home insurance getting exorbitantly high as these storms seem to get stronger and be more frequent? Anyone facing the storm/s I wish you well. 

It’s funny, living in Atlanta now everybody freaks out if you’re in a flood zone. PANIC! They had a 500 year flood about 10 years ago and there was a ton of damage. (Typical flood zone info is based on 100 year flood results.) 

In Florida, you would prefer not to be in a flood zone, but you want to be near the beach/water, so the most desireable property probably IS in a flood zone. You pay the extra insurance as part of the cost of being in the more desirable location. We were lucky with our first house, I was close enough to HEAR boats, but not in a flood zone. Our next door neighbor was actually IN the flood zone, but if you are out the insurance is dirt cheap. 

2 hours ago, Augie said:

It’s funny, living in Atlanta now everybody freaks out if you’re in a flood zone. PANIC! They had a 500 year flood about 10 years ago and there was a ton of damage. (Typical flood zone info is based on 100 year flood results.) 

In Florida, you would prefer not to be in a flood zone, but you want to be near the beach/water, so the most desireable property probably IS in a flood zone. You pay the extra insurance as part of the cost of being in the more desirable location. We were lucky with our first house, I was close enough to HEAR boats, but not in a flood zone. Our next door neighbor was actually IN the flood zone, but if you are out the insurance is dirt cheap. 

What about not taking insurance (flood)?  Do You have to have it?  On the mortgage, bank make it mandatory?  Does it raise the rates on normal homeowner's for all when these routine weather systems hit?

Just cry poor mouth when disaster hits every 5 years and get Fed to subsidize.

I have never made a claim on my homeowner's in 30 years and the premiums tripled in that time.  Why is that so?  Long time with one company.  Switched now a couple times... Comparable rates.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

i may be mistaken but don't most insurances not cover acts of god? i believe you need a seperate policy to cover a flood as it is an act of god. also, not every insurance company will offer this type of insurance, you may have to obtain it through the federal gov.

10 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

What about not taking insurance (flood)?  Do You have to have it?  On the mortgage, bank make it mandatory?  Does it raise the rates on normal homeowner's for all when these routine weather systems hit?

I have never made a claim on my homeowner's in 30 years and the premiums tripled in that time.  Why is that so?  Long time with one company.  Switched now a couple times... Comparable rates.

Flood insurance is usually required by the lender. It’s primarily done through the NFIP. There are maximum limits that you can carry through NFIP and everything over that has to be done with excess flood. This includes business interruption for a flood. You can’t get BI with NFIP. The premiums are tied to the flood zone. 

It’s independent of homeowners insurance. Your homeowners rates are tied to the losses by covered perils. The storms last year have leveled off the property rates that have been declining for the last handful of years. It is the law of large numbers. You aren’t rated on your history as much as you are how well the carrier has done in like situations.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

If you have financing, you will be required to have flood insurance (if you are in a flood zone). If you don’t have financing and are in a flood zone, but you have a brain, you have flood insurance.  It’s cheap if your not in a flood zone, and it’s not THAT expensive if you are. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Augie said:

If you have financing, you will be required to have flood insurance (if you are in a flood zone). If you don’t have financing and are in a flood zone, but you have a brain, you have flood insurance.  It’s cheap if your not in a flood zone, and it’s not THAT expensive if you are. 

I quote flood with every commercial property that I write. If you don’t have it here you are an idiot.

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

if your in a flood zone & financing from a bank they require flood insurance.  .  

This one look like it is going to be a direct hit.  They said some areas could get over 3 feet of rain which is unbelievable.  They said the problem is it is going to hit land & kind of stall for a few days.  I would worry about the flooding more than the wind.  

Edited by Gordio
  • Thank you (+1) 1