Saw Richard Thompson in concert today

The Poojer

Pretty much Music royalty (literally in England).  My weekly Free at Noon show.  500 people tops and as many shows as I've seen in my life, his 50 minute show probably ranks in my top 5.  His voice, his songwriting and most surprisingly his acoustic guitar playing... holy crap.  He has a new album coming out next Friday and if you are a fan of the singer/songwriter genre, it HAS to be added to your library.  I was expecting a lot today, he far surpassed my expectations

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 hours ago, The Poojer said:

Pretty much Music royalty (literally in England).  My weekly Free at Noon show.  500 people tops and as many shows as I've seen in my life, his 50 minute show probably ranks in my top 5.  His voice, his songwriting and most surprisingly his acoustic guitar playing... holy crap.  He has a new album coming out next Friday and if you are a fan of the singer/songwriter genre, it HAS to be added to your library.  I was expecting a lot today, he far surpassed my expectations

Have you listened to his early music with Fairport Convention?  If so what did you think?

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/7/2018 at 3:43 PM, The Poojer said:

I saw him with Fairport Convention a LONG time ago!

10 hours ago, Greybeard said:

Have you listened to his early music with Fairport Convention?  If so what did you think?

Oh heck yeah. Loved Fairport Convention.  That being said, 40 years later he was so good to see him.  He's an incredible guitar player and he has a very good stage presence.  

16 hours ago, rockpile said:

I saw him with Fairport Convention a LONG time ago!

In 1970 I bought the Liege and Lief album based solely on a full page add I saw in Rolling Stone.  I soon fell in love with Sandy Denny's voice and purchased the two previous Fairport albums.   Fotheringay is one of my favorite Denny compositions, between her voice and the excellent guitar picking.

She left the group later in 1970 but returned in 1974.   So sometime during her second stint with them, Fairport was in Syracuse at the Landmark theatre.    No way I was going to miss that.  It was a great concert and she was great live.  The entire band was.    That may have been the same tour that you saw them on.

These days if a band like that played both Syracuse and Rochester I would attend both concerts.

In all the many branches that Fairport Convention spawned, I followed her's the most.   I initially followed Thompson but somewhere along the way I lost track of him.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I was having one of those Youtube nights, looking mostly for Sandy Denny video's when I came across this.  Should be of interest to all you Richard and Linda Thompson fans.  At 2:21 there is a poster of the chronicles of Fairport.  The members certainly played in a large number of bands.  I would really like to get a copy of that.  I don't think I could come up with a band that had more members pass through that were really talented.

1 hour ago, Greybeard said:

I was having one of those Youtube nights, looking mostly for Sandy Denny video's when I came across this.  Should be of interest to all you Richard and Linda Thompson fans.  At 2:21 there is a poster of the chronicles of Fairport.  The members certainly played in a large number of bands.  I would really like to get a copy of that.  I don't think I could come up with a band that had more members pass through that were really talented.

John Mayall/Bluesbreakers immediately came to mind.