No Panic from our HC

foreboding

2 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Great Quarterbacks make great coaches, and teams.  If Allen or Peterman turns out to be great, McDermott will look like a genius.

If neither does, then he will be a defensive coordinator sometime between 2021 and 2022.

Complete opposite bud.  Brady drafted to any other team doesn't last 3 seasons in this league.  Belicheck is by far the primary the reason for that teams success.

8 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I just wonder if all this love for McDermott is because he's the antithesis of Rex.  It's too early to judge whether he'll be a successful head coach or not.

There's that whole, played a season with a team outsiders declared to be "tanking" and went 9-7 on the way to breaking the longest playoff drought in pro sports, but nah, he's done nothing.

5 minutes ago, Jobot said:

Complete opposite bud.  Brady drafted to any other team doesn't last 3 seasons in this league.  Belicheck is by far the primary the reason for that teams success.

I'd say we have a good bit of evidence to the contrary, though short of conclusive.

When Brady's been out, the Patriots have been pretty mediocre.

9 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I just wonder if all this love for McDermott is because he's the antithesis of Rex.  It's too early to judge whether he'll be a successful head coach or not.

Rex and the rest of the buffoons the Bills have had over the past two decades.  And you know, he actually delivered the playoffs in his first season.

Of course it's too early, but I wouldn't consider trading him for any coach we've had since Wade.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, foreboding said:

When I watch McD, I feel like he knows what he has (he values coach-ability over raw ability) and he seems cool with it. The guy took average talent last year and made it work.

Great coaches make great teams, they get the most from their players and ideally get a few stars sprinkled in to make the team a few games above average and give themselves a chance. BB has been doing it for two decades, I think Sean thinks he can do the same. One could argue we have a huge OC upgrade, which will help.

We do not have a Brady, but we don't need to win 13 games either. 9 or 10 would be nice...

Let's hope so.

This is good stuff. This is why I feel like they're gonna win more games than people are predicting. Eric Wood said it when they made the playoffs last season, when the team was being cast off and predicted to be one of the worst in the league, Wood said he heard that and was like, "There's no way. There are too many talented guys here with too much to prove." And he was right. Hopefully that will carry over to this season. I don't anticipate a return trip to the playoffs (wouldn't mind being surprised, though) but I don't think they're gonna be some 3-13 horror show. What I'd like to see and what everyone can consider progress is a middle of the road record (I know, not again) where they're in every game. No blowouts, no awful three-game stretches like last season vs. NYJ, NO, LAC. Just compete, keep it close, pull out a few surprises like last year (wins over OAK, ATL, etc) and keep getting better.

And to the crowd that would rather see this team nosedive into a top five pick on purpose, good luck trying to convince a team of grown professionals to sabotage a season so their front office can acquire better positioning in the draft where they'll be selecting players driven to replace the guys that just tanked a season. Tanking... dumbest sh*t ever. 

• Like (+1) 1

If you listen to McDermott and Beane they both use phrases such as "We're not where we want to be" and "We have a lot of work to do".  If you read between the lines, it means they know and are telling everyone they need to acquire many more good players to build a team that can contend for championships on a perennial basis.  So of course there is no panic as long as you "Respect the Process".

1 hour ago, tumaro02 said:

I think McD does a great job of keeping his team on a steady course.

I think however he is clueless as a QB Guru. He was asked repeatedly what informs his decisions regarding Josh Alllen and he had to keep coming back to his experiences 19 years ago with McNabb when Andy Reid didn't cut him loose until later in the season. He does not even want to talk about Cam Newton who started Day 1 and seems to have no thoughts beyond that. He is a sophomore Defensive HC whose defense  under performed all year. He did make the playoffs however and his coaching was a big factor in  breaking the drought.

This year he said there would be an open competition for starting QB and then gave only 2 QBs reps with the 1s. vs 1s for the majority of the off season. He kept Allen with the 3s until Week 3 of preseason. WHY? His "this is a rep chart not a depth chart" when explaining that Allen would learn the offense just as good with the 3s is hilarious. So McD is saying that the speed of the game is the same  going against the 3s as going against the 1s all off season except for a smattering later? Yet the proclaimed starter and the one traded got hundreds of more reps than Allen. WHY?

I wonder where we would be right now if Allen and AJ got most of the 1s reps vs 1s and Nate got only 3s work. I wonder if Nate would be so steady going against the 1s vs Bangals.

McD decided very early that he was going to really slow play Allen which IMO was very unfair. He had all kinds of excuses for that. In the beginning he used the excuse that Nate and AJ had a few weeks jump on the playbook. OK. but Allen scored the highest on the Wonderlic Test of QBs at the Combine. So why after a month  off after OTAs was he still working solely with the 3s?

Allen had Week 3 prep with the 1s but the few days of  practices is not sufficient to prepare a rookie #7 pick for the Bengals D. McD did everything he could to make it difficult for Allen including musical O linemen chairs and not helping him keep drives alive by not challenging the dive for a 1st down.

Yes, McD deserves kudos for the teams performance last year and I hope he does well this year, but he did NO favors for Allen. IMO he disrespected him from  Day 1. He talked about earning reps and made Allen do that all off-season while handing the MLB the job from Day 1. He has repeatedly favored a certain QB and ended up trading away all the reps of the other QB to Oakland that Allen needed. No. He is no friend to Allen and I think Allen knows it. He seems quite angry judging by his comments after being told McDs "piece" and after Beanes sit down with Heather Prusak.

I hope we go undefeated with Nate as QB and I wish him well but Allen has every right to be stewing with the way his HC has treated him.

You don't watch a lot of college football do you?  Allen is nowhere near to being ready & the people that watched him at Wyoming knew that.  My guess is McDermott will play him the second half of the season when we out of playoff contention.

23 minutes ago, Jobot said:

Your completely wrong pal.  Look at all the Long Tenured coaches in the league- one thing they have in common, they have had a good QB.

NE - BB - Brady

Pitt-Tomlin - Big Ben

GB -Mccarthy - Favre/Rodgers

Atlanta - Quinn - Ryan

NO - Payton - Brees

If you don't have a QB you don't have a chance in this league.  Get with the program.

12 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

If you listen to McDermott and Beane they both use phrases such as "We're not where we want to be" and "We have a lot of work to do".  If you read between the lines, it means they know and are telling everyone they need to acquire many more good players to build a team that can contend for championships on a perennial basis.  So of course there is no panic as long as you "Respect the Process".

yup

37 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

You’re right to a certain degree. It is too early.

But there are lots of things to be encouraged/optimistic about when it comes to him.

One thing he definitely needs to improve on is his in game calls. I think he really struggled last year in that. (Granted it was only his first year as a head coach though)

1 hour ago, Flip Johnson said:

When was the time McDermott told everyone the Bills were going to take a step back?

After last season. He stated something like do not have higher expectations for this team we are not close yet. 

17 minutes ago, Gordio said:

You don't watch a lot of college football do you?  Allen is nowhere near to being ready & the people that watched him at Wyoming knew that.  My guess is McDermott will play him the second half of the season when we out of playoff contention. 

The people who watched him...... what does that mean? Or do you mean the "right people who watched him that support your  argument?" He was on many boards as the Top QB of the group. This is what I do know. A lie is a lie. A deception is a deception. McDermott is absolutely guilty of both when it comes to how he has  handled Allen. An open competition is just that. Not 2 QBs get all the reps that matter and 1 gets none. That would be a deception at best and a lie at the worst. Here is another goodie. McDermott said in the beginning of the so-called QB competition that he would play "the QB that gives the team the best chance of winning." He now says that Nate has "earned the right to start."  Is he saying that Nate is both? What happened to the QB who gives the team the best chance of winning criteria? A deception? A lie? I believe he changed the criteria for this reason. By saying that Nate has "earned the right to start" he is distancing himself from the outcome should  Nate fail. He can always say that "Nate had his chance and blew it." If he stuck to the criteria and stated that Nate gives us the best chance of winning, then HE can be accused of "blowing it" for picking the wrong QB... duh. I do like him for what he has done but think he is way over his  head in developing QBs and WILL make the wrong decision more often than not.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Because he knows they will take a step back. Planned that way and even tried to tell everyone as much at the end of last season. 

I wouldn't say "planned that way" - if certain players meet expectations, could be a bit better than expected.

But certainly, understand and accept that's one possible outcome.

Like I've said before, I do believe there's a reason why Beane fought so hard to keep all of next year's draft board intact, and it's not because he expects us to be drafting below #29

3 hours ago, Jobot said:

"One Mo Lewis hit away from the Unemployment Line" - Bart Scott

17 hours ago, tumaro02 said:

The people who watched him...... what does that mean? Or do you mean the "right people who watched him that support your  argument?" He was on many boards as the Top QB of the group. This is what I do know. A lie is a lie. A deception is a deception. McDermott is absolutely guilty of both when it comes to how he has  handled Allen. An open competition is just that. Not 2 QBs get all the reps that matter and 1 gets none. That would be a deception at best and a lie at the worst. Here is another goodie. McDermott said in the beginning of the so-called QB competition that he would play "the QB that gives the team the best chance of winning." He now says that Nate has "earned the right to start."  Is he saying that Nate is both? What happened to the QB who gives the team the best chance of winning criteria? A deception? A lie? I believe he changed the criteria for this reason. By saying that Nate has "earned the right to start" he is distancing himself from the outcome should  Nate fail. He can always say that "Nate had his chance and blew it." If he stuck to the criteria and stated that Nate gives us the best chance of winning, then HE can be accused of "blowing it" for picking the wrong QB... duh. I do like him for what he has done but think he is way over his  head in developing QBs and WILL make the wrong decision more often than not.

Hello Mr. Turna:  Let's ask the coach.  I would predict he would say that NP has both earned the right and gives us the best chance to get Ws.  I believe that he sees us as a 5-6 win team, and Josh will eventually get his starts.   I agree that he set up the reps to give NP an advantage because he didn't see Josh as ready.  He wanted to get NP ready.  Very smart.  NP kept giving the coaches confidence that he could handle it.  Josh was up an down.  Obviously, he sees something in NP.

18 hours ago, tumaro02 said:

What are your thoughts on the moon landings?

I for a long time was always believing the hype every year from the Bills and was always so disappointed throughout the drought. Last year I told everyone before the season that I had low expectations and wouldn't doubt we tank for a QB. I set the bar very low 3-4 wins if lucky. This year I am taking a similar approach and after seeing our brutal schedule and O-line play expect a similar outcome. If McDermott and company can somehow salvage this season and keep us relevant all year he will have had done one of the most incredible coaching jobs ever. The wild card is our defense last year they lived off of turnovers I believe that is unsustainable yet can keep us in games yet the additions on defense should improve us. We still have Shady and really only have a terrible o-line holding us back from being better than last year.