Football Outsiders 2018 Projections

Coach Tuesday

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 7:49 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

Man.......there are TONS of comparison points.

But some of the basic, bigger ones:

1)Offensively-challenged defensive HC's.

2) Utilize bend-don't-break defenses and deliberate offenses to shorten games and ideally create turnover opportunities while not turning the ball over themselves.

But the biggest thing they share in common is this belief that character(which they ultimately define as trusting THEM) dwarfs talent in importance.

And while there is truth to it in some degree.....it is of course a TEAM game....the problem is that you gotta' be a GREAT HC or have a GREAT personnel department to operate at a championship level with a "simplify and synergize" agenda.

Ultimately the NFL is a matchup league...............to win big you've either gotta' win matchups with talent or with coaching.

During Jauron's stay the Bills didn't really draft exceptionally poorly........and yet at the end of his reign their roster was decimated because they had created tons of excuses to cut bait on talented players and then predictably failed to achieve the necessary 100% hit rate to replace them.....let alone making the roster BETTER.     We've seen a similar willingness to discard talented players for returns ranging between nothing and not-likely-to-provide-replacement-value level picks and/or players.   They even inherited somewhat similar roster demographics and then to the shock of almost everyone chose to let prime-age players go rather than keeping them and growing with them..........and were left without enough chips to cover those losses plus the veteran attrition etc..

To me........the biggest DIFFERENCE between the two is probably just that McD inherited a very Jauron-Ball-friendly QB in Tyrod Taylor.........Jauron himself never had a veteran who could put up points early and then string together long, turnover free drives to protect leads.

So back to the matchups.........without the personnel edge the matchup victories need to come from the sidelines.

Neither Jauron or McDermott have ever struck me as brilliant strategists, tacticians or in-game decision makers.

I hope I am wrong and McD is a Belichick or Walsh or Holmgren or Parcells-like genius who is fox-like crazy but Jauron proved to just be a dude whose passive but "my-way-or-highway" tactics just reflected an inability/unwillingness to manage and motivate a roster full of complicated personalities.    Which describes every good roster in the NFL.     I am afraid that might be the case with McDermott as well.   

I agree with all of the above except the bolded.

The day of the 2006 draft I said that the team would be destroyed for many years. I know that they got Kyle Williams in the 5th, but that draft was pathetic, and they even traded up to take a horrible DE. The worst part of that draft was the fact that they passed on a slew of players who truly would have helped them.

And btw, passing on Mahomes and Watson to draft a corner also reminds me of Jauron. :(

Edited by Bill from NYC