Remind me again why we haven't had Jason Peters for the last 15 years?

dayman

8 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

That's a play out of the Bruce Smith playbook.  He had an annual campaign for awhile.

Yep, he’d get a new deal making him the highest paid defensive player and then as soon as someone got more he whined.

16 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

Lots of examples of teams being very successful with mediocre tackles.  And there are numerous examples of teams who have the better known tackles who don’t do diddly.  Success in the NFL is not about OTs.  But From  the way folks post on this thread, one would think that getting a pro bowl LT guarantees playoffs and Super Bowl for years to come.  

Yeah, didn’t Joe Thomas play his whole career in Cleveland with no playoffs?

For a couple of years after the trade, it looked like it was the Bills who had the better end of the trade. Eric Wood was solid and Jason Peters was struggling with injuries etc. 

So I would not blame the then Bills brass  too much on this. Blame them for all the stupid QB decisions during the draft, yes. But Eric Wood worked out well enough for us. Definitely no complaints about this trade from me. 

Edited by IgotBILLStopay

51 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

One question no one has asked yet on this thread is it really worth it spending big money on an offensive tackle?

Lamenting the loss of Peters seems silly.  We should have kept Peters so we could better protect Losman and Edwards?

Lots of examples of teams being very successful with mediocre tackles.  And there are numerous examples of teams who have the better known tackles who don’t do diddly.  Success in the NFL is not about OTs.  But From  the way folks post on this thread, one would think that getting a pro bowl LT guarantees playoffs and Super Bowl for years to come.  

I’d rather have a franchise QB playing behind serviceable tackles than a merry go round of bad QBs behind pro bowl tackles.

He would look good protecting Allen plus mentoring the oline right now and freeing draft resources especially at one of the key positions on the field. Really, it takes a team of talented players. The job of the front office is to collect and keep talent, the job of the coach is to get wins by maximizing that talent. 

9 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

If they had found a way to trade up for Alex Mack that draft, I would have been fine with the trade. Elite for elite. When we got Wood, I was extremely dissapointed. Elite for serviceable. 

Yea Wood had a decent career. Peters as all but WEO agree is headed to Canton at some point.

I'm not throwing darts at the Bills for this one. Unlike the hindsight savants here.

In Peters mind he was a great. But it was far from known to management that Peters would become a sustained great.  When the Eagles made an offer that couldn't be refused, the Bills took it.

Opinion, I think Peters had a woody to leave Buffalo, no offer was going to be good enough. And I do remember what others posted: his season ending injuries that happened when the playoff run was over.

10 hours ago, aceman_16 said:

You must be new here.  Anyhow,  because he wanted out.

it's a trendy thing when Bills produce

1 hour ago, Seasons1992 said:

He sure did, virtually every season between 89 and 94. Can you imagine what he'd be worth in today's NFL??

it's not the same game, the only individuals of true stardom today are QBs.

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

This. I think it was the beginning of “ Ralph is cheap”. Anyway, the guy was a UDFA and they had him cheap for awhile. When it came time to pay him as a LT  they traded him. He’d still be on the Oline today. Guy was a player. 

I agree and disagree with you. He was definitely a player, but I HIGHLY doubt he would still be here even if we had paid him the money he was looking for then. With all the staff changes over the years he would have been dealt to someone else for draft picks or not signed a renewal to go to a better performing team. 

43 minutes ago, row_33 said:

it's not the same game, the only individuals of true stardom today are QBs.

Tell that to Khalil Mack and Aaron Donald. 

1 minute ago, MakeBuffaloGreatAgain said:

If I’m not mistaken, didn’t he lead the NFL in sacks given up by a left tackle his final year in buffalo? Did he even play all 16 games?

I seem to remember that as well. Iirc he was similar to mario his last year here. 

9 hours ago, Virgil said:

He was all about the money and we just gave him a new deal. When healthy, he’s great, but he can be very hit or miss.  

Also, for all of our offensive line woes, LT hasn’t really been one of them.  I still agree with trading him. 

Gotta strongly disagree my pal.

Jason Peters was the best player on the team.  As for the bolded, let's take a look at that OL sans Cordy Glenn.

I don't know of any other team that trades away young, skilled left tackles. Do you? ;) 

• Like (+1) 1