Jerry Sullivan Strikes Back With A VENGEANCE, Slams The BN, The Pegulas, and some of the Buffalo fanbase

BuffaloRush

19 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Your opinion is fair - he could have taken the high-road like many would.  However I respect him for being real and sharing his true feelings on the situation.   But again, I can tell you didn't listen to the interview.  His issue is with the current management which he feels wronged him.   It's not being ungrateful - it's saying "I don't like how I was treated at the end and here's why."   He deserves credit for speaking up ...

yeah, no. no interest really in listening to a resentful old curmudgeon.

life = 5% what happens to you and 95% how you react to that 5%.

1 hour ago, BuffaloRush said:

I think Sully gets a bad rap from Bills fans.  I think some fans fail to understand the job a columnist.  Also, IMO he was right to criticize the Bills during the drought years.  The moves that Ralph Wilson made running the team were embarrassing.  

His job is to write something readers want to read.   In my case, he failed.   I want a columnist to entertain, inform, and maybe even uplift me.   Sully did none of those things.

• Thank you (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Since when did Bills fans get so sensitive to criticism?  It boggles my mind.  I think must be Stockholm syndrome associated with 17 years of epic failure.  If someone criticizes the team, they are an idiot.  

The Bills organization post- Wade Phillips was truly bush league and something of an embarrassment. They provided Sully with plenty of material to write his column. Their constant bungling brought a droning sameness to his writing, but there’s that old saying about the messenger. The Pegulas didn’t get off to a great start bringing in sexy Rexy and his clown show buffoonery. I give Sullivan credit for not going along with a change in format that he felt was lacking. It would have been easier to stick around than to stick with his convictions. 

Edited by Boatdrinks

10 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I wonder if Pegula really would have a hand in removing a column that was often critical of his teams. That would be upsetting but not as surprising as it should be. It does seem like recently the Bills go out of their way to control the narrative. I still can’t believe the BBMB was shut down. Anything bills related on Facebook is an honest to god embarrassment. The people that call into WGR are rarely informed and not at all representative of the actual diehard fans. Usually it’s just blind faith homers, barely capable of verbal communication. The hosts on WGR are either complete fan boys like Murph or just !@#$s to entice calls. There is almost nothing with substance left when it comes to the Bills. I would say Tasker is the closest thing to realistic or accurate but listening to him is about as fun as stapling your lips together. It’s a shame that the local media responsible for covering 1 of the 32 nfl teams, isn’t held to a higher standard. There are plenty of people out there that can be objective and entertaining. I would like to see them more in the forefront. I like Joe B and Sal knows what’s happening with the Bills for the most part. Chris Brown is also decent. Outside of those guys, it’s rough IMO.

Yes his point on the Pegulas is that the BN is right across the street from the arena and in close proximity to other PSE properties.  PSE has put millions downtown and has rejuvenated it to an extent.  They hold a lot of power naturally.  

You gotta listen to the podcast because he tells a story where PSE was using BN for printing for their companies.  Sully claims they had a $250K contract.  Because of something he wrote, Sully claims PSE pulled the deal.  So it was a joke among executives that Sully cost them $250K.  Crazy story - but not out of the realm of possibilities.  Definitely would be disappointing to have them control the local narrative

I subbed to the BN Blitz the second I saw he was gone.  I refuse to even listen to this trash.  He’s a smug Soh and deserves to feel disrespected.  He’s similar to the product that he covered the last 17 years.  Garbaggio

2 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

His job is to write something readers want to read.   In my case, he failed.   I want a columnist to entertain, inform, and maybe even uplift me.   Sully did none of those things.

I think you would really like John Murphy and. Chris Brown

Just now, NewEra said:

I subbed to the BN Blitz the second I saw he was gone.  I refuse to even listen to this trash.  He’s a smug Soh and deserves to feel disrespected.  He’s similar to the product that he covered the last 17 years.  Garbaggio

Congrats!  I’m sure the $2.99 from you and

a few others did wonders to offset the millions lost this past quarter.  

3 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

The Bills organization post- Wade Phillips was truly bush league and something of an embarrassment. They provided Sully with plenty of material to write his column. Their constant bungling brought a droning sameness to his writing, but there’s that old saying about the messenger. The Pegulas didn’t get off to a great start bringing in sexy Rexy and his clown show buffoonery. I give Sullivan credit for not going along with a change in format that he felt was lacking. It would have been easier to stick around than to stick with his convictions. 

Thank you man....My thoughts are exactly the same.  Sully was negative because there really wasn’t a lot to be positive about during the Drought.  Like you said the decisions made by this organization were embarrassing.  Sully was blunt in calling Ralph and several others out.  

I also give him credit for speaking his mind in this interview. 

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Gotcha - If you listen to the interview above, I can guarantee you will like it

Granted, you started the thread, but are ya feeling a little lonely here?  If your posts were a little more formulaic and focused more on talking down to those that didn’t share your opinion I’d swear you were Sullenman himself, especially with how much time you’ve spent shilling for him. 

I’ll spare you the repetition and assure that I haven’t, nor will I, watch the interview... or read his blog... or figure out in this day and age how to even tune in to AM radio anymore.

I find it ironic, assuming that your summary is accurate, that Sullivan would refer to fans responding to a survey that his employer sent out as to why they didn’t subscribe to the BN Blitz as “the lowest common denominator” if they answered it was his and Gleason’s presence. Apparently if you don’t agree with his opinion you’re beneath him, and if he doesn’t agree with yours you’re beneath him.

Not surprised to hear he’s managed to avoid any semblance of introspection in the face of losing his “dream job” in favor of continuing to “stick it to the man.”  Putz. 

5 minutes ago, transient said:

Granted, you started the thread, but are ya feeling a little lonely here?  If your posts were a little more formulaic and focused more on talking down to those that didn’t share your opinion I’d swear you were Sullenman himself, especially with how much time you’ve spent shilling for him. 

I’ll spare you the repetition and assure that I haven’t, nor will I, watch the interview... or read his blog... or figure out in this day and age how to even tune in to AM radio anymore.

I find it ironic, assuming that your summary is accurate, that Sullivan would refer to fans responding to a survey that his employer sent out as to why they didn’t subscribe to the BN Blitz as “the lowest common denominator” if they answered it was his and Gleason’s presence. Apparently if you don’t agree with his opinion you’re beneath him, and if he doesn’t agree with yours you’re beneath him.

Not surprised to hear he’s managed to avoid any semblance of introspection in the face of losing his “dream job” in favor of continuing to “stick it to the man.”  Putz. 

LOL this week I’ve been accused of being Dunkirk Don and Jerry Sullivan.  I can assure you I’m neither.

I don’t talk down to anyone that doesn’t share my opinion, though yes, I do disagree.  If you haven’t noticed the majority of the threads do the same thing here.

Your aversion toward Jerry Sullivan just seems somewhat over-the-top and very  personal.  I don’t get it.  

But yes he does say exactly that about the survey.  Something tells me you will be hearing that audio later 

Edited by BuffaloRush

Remember when the Bills made the playoffs for the first time in two decades and the Buffalo News decided to run an article the next morning about why being a "true fan" is a mental disorder and we should be ashamed of ourselves?

That was disgraceful clickbait and I'm glad this guy and several others lost their jobs because of that mentality.

How graceful of you to call this passionate and opinionated, quality writing on your way out the door. Keep patting yourself on the back as the door hits you in the same spot. Sorry things didn't work out for ya Sully ... when you stoop to the lowest levels of journalism, sometimes there are consequences.

36 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Your comment is exactly what I was saying.  You misunderstand the job of the columnist.  It is to share his opinion and analysis of what happened.  A reporter shares facts and "what the story is."

Bills fans have become so sensitive to criticism over the years.  It's beyond baffling

You're missing it.  He even said - "they felt my voice was becoming bad for business."  

It doesn't matter what his job is as a columnist vs reporter, analyst, journalist etc - if the business thinks you're negatively effecting business - you're gone.  

If a lead chef of restaurant for 29 years is causing customers to stop coming to the restaurant because they aren't enjoying the food - it doesn't matter that it's the persons dream job to be a chef.  So they give the 29 year employee an opportunity to do other things and he says absolutely not,  I'm a chef - then it's time to part ways.  Then if some customers have a conversation - it matters not that customers that like the food try and explain the difference between a chef and a waiter.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloRush said:

.... aversion toward Jerry Sullivan just seems somewhat over-the-top and very  personal.  I don’t get it.  

May I ask you a serious non troll BUT truly serious question?  Why do you think there is so much "aversion" to Sully? I am assuming you are a reasonable and intelligent person. Do you think that people are piling on Jerry for fun?  OR might there be along term justification for all this (pretty universal) angst?

1 hour ago, Watkins90 said:

Lol at taking losing his column as a slap in the face. Bro, you work for someone. When you boss tells you to do something different, you do it. You don't whine like a little school girl, you just do it. 

As a journalist at a very small newspaper in northeast Iowa, what I wouldn't give to be the Bills or Sabres beat writer. People just don't understand how good they have it. 

Whatever man. Just because you work for someone doesn’t mean You're not entitled to an opinion or have to work under those conditions.

He takes his work as a profession it appears and sees his responsibility in a lot bigger view than employee and employer. I don’t particularly like his columns because they are a tad thin in my opinion.  But I respect his view on what he did and why.  Don’t do things in life if you have options, even if it makes you uncomfortable - do what you believe in and want and you’ll be more satisfied in life, even if the money isn’t great.  

Just now, Ayjent said:

Whatever man. Just because you work for someone doesn’t mean You're not entitled to an opinion or have to work under those conditions.

He takes his work as a profession it appears and sees his responsibility in a lot bigger view than employee and employer. I don’t particularly like his columns because they are a tad thin in my opinion.  But I respect his view on what he did and why.  Don’t do things in life if you have options, even if it makes you uncomfortable - do what you believe in and want and you’ll be more satisfied in life, even if the money isn’t great.  

I have no problem with him leaving a job, but to bad mouth your current employer is just bush league. 

21 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

I think you would really like John Murphy and. Chris Brown

Congrats!  I’m sure the $2.99 from you and

a few others did wonders to offset the millions lost this past quarter.  

Thank you man....My thoughts are exactly the same.  Sully was negative because there really wasn’t a lot to be positive about during the Drought.  Like you said the decisions made by this organization were embarrassing.  Sully was blunt in calling Ralph and several others out.  

I also give him credit for speaking his mind in this interview. 

He’s a bum 

9 minutes ago, aceman_16 said:

May I ask you a serious non troll BUT truly serious question?  Why do you think there is so much "aversion" to Sully? I am assuming you are a reasonable and intelligent person. Do you think that people are piling on Jerry for fun?  OR might there be along term justification for all this (pretty universal) angst?

Nope, I think there’s an aversion because people want to read positive things about their favorite football team.  They want to feel good about their favorite team.

The problem is, there really weren’t many positives during the drought.  Sully constantly called out the Bills for many very bad decisions that they made.  He called them

embarassing and yes it was embarrassing.  

Anyone in the Buffalo media who calls out the team is disliked among the Bills fan base.  This includes Sully, Mike Schoop, Jeremy White and Mike Rodak.   How many times to fans in this forum attack a writer who writes something negative about the team?  It happens all the time.   People who tread lightly on criticism but that are mostly positive say...a Sal Carpaccio are received very well.

Yes Sully was very critical of the team and I think that many Bills fans internalized his comments.  It used to piss me off to hear reporters loft softball questions to coaches or players.  Or when a good question was aske, they’d give a BS answer and the reporter wouldn’t follow up.  Sully did neither and for that I appreciate his style.

I do agree that he came off as a curmudgeon or prickly.  Maybe even as a jerk, but again, I recognized what his role was as a columnist and never held it against him

Edited by BuffaloRush