Jerry Sullivan Strikes Back With A VENGEANCE, Slams The BN, The Pegulas, and some of the Buffalo fanbase

BuffaloRush

Folks, the first part of this podcast is probably the most compelling interview I've heard for quite a while.  It's from Pat Moran's Moranalytics podcasts and his guest is former Buffalo News columnist Jerry Sullivan.  Say what you will about Sully, but he doesn't crawl up in a ball and pretend to be Mr. Nice Guy.  He also doesn't fabricate a fake phony picture of why he left either or share disingenuous positive words for the BN,   

Instead he gives his honest take about a number of subject - in particular his falling out with the Buffalo News.   I'll share some highlights but trust me, this is a surprisingly unfiltered interview from one of the most outspoken members of the Buffalo media.  IMO he comes off a passionate writer who loves sports and feels that fans deserve unbiased, honest sports coverage, even if it means reading views that they might not personally share.  

Of course, this is just Sully's opinion I am sure there are two sides to this story.  I would be interested to hear from @JoshBarnett as Jerry mentions him by name a few times.    I can paraphrase what he said.  It's from my memory earlier today so you will want to listen for yourself.  

On being "negative"

He said he has a reputation for being negative but reminded listeners the the covered the longest drought in sports history.  The Bills put consistently put out an  inferior product and he was holding them accountable for the fans.  He also said the role of a columnist, is to sometimes be an extremist in their views and amplify their thoughts to to generate conversation.  He'd later go on to saying that Jeremy White and Mike Schopp do this brilliant on radio.  While he says he always held the Bills accountable, there were many very positive articles during the 90's Super Bowl run.

Why Jerry left the Buffalo News:

Jerry says he accepted a buyout from the BN.  He was not fired and he did not retire.  He then shares exactly what happened, from his perspective anyway.   He said that he was told by management that they were taking away his column and to be a feature writer.  He said years ago the ideal job for any writer was a columnist position.  He held this job for years at the BN and taking it was an insult.  The same happened to Bucky Gleason who was asked to cover the Sabres beat.  Jerry considered staying, but once Bucky decided to leave he knew he had to leave to.  He felt too disrespected to work for a company that did that to him.   To him, taking away his column was essentially a giant slap in the face.  

The downfall of the BN and The Buffalo Blitz

Basically he says the BN has gone downhill fast and its disappointing.  They now feature front page articles from journalists right out of college, as opposed to featuring exceptional and experienced writers.   He also says that the role of a "columnist" is diminished in the modern print landscape. 

- He claims that editor Mike Connolly hired Josh Barnett to be the Executive Sports Editor over former Sports Editor Keith McShea who Sully feels was the better choice.   According to Sully, people were not on board with the Barnett hire and the Sports room became a less than desirable place.  He said that many people in sports were unhappy for a variety of reasons.

- Rather than trying to promote hard-hitting, in-depth, analysis of the Bills and Sabres, he feels that management wanted a watered-down, safe, sanitized product which he feels insults the intelligence sports fans.

- He cites The Buffalo Blitz  - which he refers to as a "fan site, "as one of the biggest flops that crippled the sports department and the paper.  Sully claims that Connolly promised advertisers that it would reach 100,000 readers.  The actual number was closer to around 3,000.  Sully believes that management did not want him or Bucky writing columns that were critical or controversial.  He claimed that they sent out a survey to a fans asking why didn't subscribe.  A small number said they didn't subscribe because of Sully and Bucky, so now they had the data to support their personal beliefs and essentially he was a scapegoat.  Sully feels that these moves  cater to the "lowest common denominator of fans."

He also talks about:

- The influence of The Pegulas may have made on his column getting taken away

- Tim Graham vs. Mike Harrington

- The Athletic vs. Buffalo News

- His new site Football Maven

- Buffalo news vs. WGR

- Why he has low expectations for the Bills

Listen and let me hear your thoughts!

Edited by BuffaloRush
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

He is right about his positive articles during the SB years. Not too long ago, I was looking at the News the day after 27 with the Felser “Let us count the ways the Bills disgraced the city of Buffalo” lead. Sully’s on pg 3 with not a single bad thing to say.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Rico said:

He is right about his positive articles during the SB years. Not too long ago, I was looking at the News the day after 27 with the Felser “Let us count the ways the Bills disgraced the city of Buffalo” lead. Sully’s on pg 3 with not a single bad thing to say.

I think Sully gets a bad rap from Bills fans.  I think some fans fail to understand the job a columnist.  Also, IMO he was right to criticize the Bills during the drought years.  The moves that Ralph Wilson made running the team were embarrassing.  

• Like (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 3

35 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Not contributing clicks to anything Jerry Sullivan is connected to ever again.  I don't care what he says.  He was bitter when he worked for the BN, he's bitter now and lashing out at anyone and everyone other than himself and his hackery for losing his role at the paper.  I'm shocked.

Lol at taking losing his column as a slap in the face. Bro, you work for someone. When you boss tells you to do something different, you do it. You don't whine like a little school girl, you just do it. 

As a journalist at a very small newspaper in northeast Iowa, what I wouldn't give to be the Bills or Sabres beat writer. People just don't understand how good they have it. 

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
Inappropriate language
  • Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, BuffaloRush said:

I think Sully gets a bad rap from Bills fans.  I think some fans fail to understand the job a columnist.  Also, IMO he was right to criticize the Bills during the drought years.  The moves that Ralph Wilson made running the team were embarrassing.  

Reading your posts.... it seems to me that you are a relative to Sully(en).

6 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Not contributing clicks to anything Jerry Sullivan is connected to ever again.  I don't care what he says.  He was bitter when he worked for the BN, he's bitter now and lashing out at anyone and everyone other than himself and his hackery for losing his role at the paper.  I'm shocked.

Seems like somewhat of an immature response and this is why I feel Sully is misunderstood.  To me it's like your saying "he wrote something negative about my favorite team so I don't want to read his work"

3 minutes ago, aceman_16 said:

Reading your posts.... it seems to me that you are a relative to Sully(en).

No relative but I am a fan and I am going to write a longer column for a new Bills blog about Sully.  I will post it here too.  Bills fans owe Sully and apology

Edited by BuffaloRush
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Seems like somewhat of an immature response and this is why I feel Sully is misunderstood.  To me it's like your saying "he wrote something negative about my favorite team so I don't want to read his work"

No.  It is because he is bitter and his schtick was old and dated.

PS I resubbed once he left. I out my money where my mouth was.

Edited by aceman_16
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Put it this way, if I want to hear incessant criticism of the Bills all I need to do is listen to the voices in my own head.  If that's not enough I can come here.  My issue with him wasn't his criticism, it was what he chose to criticize and when he chose to criticize it.  He found it to be his job to piss on everyone's parade during the briefest glimmers of joy and hope during a dark time.  You are allowed to let people briefly enjoy something and not lose your journalistic integrity.  I get what a columnist does, when you write the same basic column for 20 years it gets tired to read.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Shut up and move on. You have your Sucky and Bully Show. 

Obviously you didn't hear the interview.  Jerry is passionate about being a writer and his dream job was being a columnist.  He did it well for almost 3 decades and sold a lot of newspapers.  It's understandable how getting this taken away from him was upsetting

2 minutes ago, aceman_16 said:

No.  It is because he is bitter and his schtick was old and dated.

PS I resubbed once he left. I out my money where my mouth was.

I'm sure the news was very happy to get your $2.99 a month

• Sad 1

Just now, BuffaloRush said:

Obviously you didn't hear the interview.  Jerry is passionate about being a writer and his dream job was being a columnist.  He did it well for almost 3 decades and sold a lot of newspapers.  It's understandable how getting this taken away from him was upsetting

Ahhh. :cry:

5 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

I'm sure the news was very happy to get your $2.99 a month

1 who the heck wants to listen to Sully on purpose? 

2 they are happier with it than without it

3 you have proven your familial relationship with him (or some bizarre man crush or just a troll).

Edited by aceman_16
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

It's more like I've read enough of work to know what his work is going to say so when I see his name on a column I roll my eyes and turn the page knowing exactly what his take was without even HAVING to read it.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Put it this way, if I want to hear incessant criticism of the Bills all I need to do is listen to the voices in my own head.  If that's not enough I can come here.  My issue with him wasn't his criticism, it was what he chose to criticize and when he chose to criticize it.  He found it to be his job to piss on everyone's parade during the briefest glimmers of joy and hope during a dark time.  You are allowed to let people briefly enjoy something and not lose your journalistic integrity.  I get what a columnist does, when you write the same basic column for 20 years it gets tired to read.

How much joy was there really during the drought?  The Bills losing was tiring.  IMO they deserved a lot of bad criticism.   How much praise did the Bills really deserve?  

1 minute ago, Green Lightning said:

oh crap, I don't believe in revisionist history. The guy liked to p*ss in everyones Cheerios daily and that's how he made his living. He wrote the same column over, over, and over again. He was lazy. I don't miss him at all. Good riddance.

I guess calling out the Bills for the clown show they ran before McDermott came here = "pissing in cherrios"  Talk about sensitive

• Thank you (+1) 1