Daboll's last stop?

Billzfan23

More than half this board; Bills fanatics, think this team sucks and is destined for a losing season. 

The national media has us a consensus bottom four team.

Kinda hard to get a reputable OC under these circumstances, in general.

He will find something if he fails here. Let’s hope he doesn’t but surprises us with his coaching acumen.

On 9/6/2018 at 9:11 PM, Doc Brown said:

He's had to coach some really bad offenses.  Brady Quinn, Derrick Anderson, Colt McCoy, Matt Moore, Chad Henne, and Matt Cassel were his QB's over his four years as OC.  Now he has Nate Peterman.  I think he gets two years unless they're really bad.  He should have his chance with Josh Allen and some added talent next year.

"Unless they're really bad"?  His QBs are Josh Allen, a raw rookie not yet ready to start in the NFL, and Nathan Peterman, a former fifth round draft pick whose experience consists of starting 2 games (but finishing neither) with 2 TDs and 5 INTs playing behind a crap OL and throwing to a receiving corps lacking speed and sure-handedness.  Like Josh Allen, Daboll seems doomed to failure because of McDermott and Beane's attitude towards and/or understanding of offensive football. 

I figure that Daboll won't be fired after just one season because McDermott's already fired his first OC after one season ... unless McDermott gets fired himself.

On 9/6/2018 at 9:02 PM, Billzfan23 said:

Curious to see if Daboll crashes and burns, will this be his last stop?  Dennison only got one year with McDermott, and he was gone - and that was calling plays for a playoff team.  Daboll is a real worry for me, and I'm not convinced he's an upgrade over Dennison.  The Browns were 29th and 31st in offense when he was the offensive coordinator in Cleveland.  Given, he had Jake Delhomme and Colt McCoy - so perhaps there just wasn't much to work with there.  In KC in 2013,  he had Matt Cassell.  He was there pre-Andy Reid, and I remember a stat from that season that one night Peyton Manning had 7 touchdown passes in a game, while Kansas City had 8 touchdown passes all season (or something crazy like that, perhaps it wasn't 8 touchdown passes, it might have been 8 touchdown passes to wide receivers, but regardless, they were dead last in offense, ranked 32nd in points.  When my friends from Missouri heard that we hired Daboll, all I got was grief about how ****ty he was.

Yeah, he had the time coaching tight ends for the Pats, and had the season in college with Alabama, but I think he is not long for the Bills.  I think he will have a very short leash in Buffalo.  Regardless of whether we have any weapons at all (we have very little talent on that side of the ball) - my guess is that if he struggle with the play calling and creating offense, he will be gone really soon.

Perhaps that circular reasoning, because maybe no coaches could be successful with those options at QB, but still - their QB's were probably not as bad as Peterman.

& here I thought you were going to say his last stop because he's now home.

Don't worry, be happy.

Curious to see if Daboll crashes and burns, will this be his last stop?  Dennison only got one year with McDermott, and he was gone - and that was calling plays for a playoff team.  Daboll is a real worry for me, and I'm not convinced he's an upgrade over Dennison.  The Browns were 29th and 31st in offense when he was the offensive coordinator in Cleveland.  Given, he had Jake Delhomme and Colt McCoy - so perhaps there just wasn't much to work with there.  In KC in 2013,  he had Matt Cassell.  He was there pre-Andy Reid, and I remember a stat from that season that one night Peyton Manning had 7 touchdown passes in a game, while Kansas City had 8 touchdown passes all season (or something crazy like that, perhaps it wasn't 8 touchdown passes, it might have been 8 touchdown passes to wide receivers, but regardless, they were dead last in offense, ranked 32nd in points.  When my friends from Missouri heard that we hired Daboll, all I got was grief about how ****ty he was.

Yeah, he had the time coaching tight ends for the Pats, and had the season in college with Alabama, but I think he is not long for the Bills.  I think he will have a very short leash in Buffalo.  Regardless of whether we have any weapons at all (we have very little talent on that side of the ball) - my guess is that if he struggle with the play calling and creating offense, he will be gone really soon.

Perhaps that circular reasoning, because maybe no coaches could be successful with those options at QB, but still - their QB's were probably not as bad as Peterman.

So you're wondering if Daboll sucks will he get fired?  Probably.

On 9/6/2018 at 8:02 PM, Billzfan23 said:

Curious to see if Daboll crashes and burns, will this be his last stop?  Dennison only got one year with McDermott, and he was gone - and that was calling plays for a playoff team. 

It was always an open question to many whether Dennison was calling the shots as OC, or whether he was basically a figurehead for Kubiak.

McDermott gave him the benefit of the doubt in hiring him.  After last season, my take was "figurehead on a SB team"

But I digress, I really believe the main reason Dennison got one year was the famed "p***ed in Boss's cheerios by embarrassing him publically" maneuver.  In this case reports were Dennison insisted on the Taylor benching and that Peterman was ready, resulting in national embarrassment for McDermott.  I think McDermott is loyal to a fault, and absent the public humiliation, Dennison would have gotten more time.  Daboll will too.  You can be sure those were issues that got discussed before Daboll took the job - it's not like he was on the unemployment line or working in a sweatshop for peanuts.  He was being paid mighty well for a nationally prominent position.

OTOH, I think practically speaking, this might be Daboll's last chance as an NFL OC.  You omitted to mention Miami.  So he's had 3 prior shots at NFL OC.  The contention might be he was young and brash and unready, just as McDaniel was as HC with the Rams.  So he went back to being a position coach, and hopefully learned something.  Then he went to college to coach a national championship team, and hopefully learned something.

Now he gets a shot to show if he's learned something that will apply in the NFL.  If the answer is "no", he'll surely get other jobs, but shots at NFL OC will be slow coming.

As an aside, I think Daboll's prior experience may have been a factor in the choice of QB, both who to bring in and who to draft.  Rumor has it that after 2010, Cassel had kind of an inflated view of himself and wasn't too receptive to anything said by NE's former WR coach who'd flamed out in 2 previous OC gigs.  I imagine above all else, Daboll wanted a QB who would take coaching.

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

As an aside, I think Daboll's prior experience may have been a factor in the choice of QB, both who to bring in and who to draft.  Rumor has it that after 2010, Cassel had kind of an inflated view of himself and wasn't too receptive to anything said by NE's former WR coach who'd flamed out in 2 previous OC gigs.  I imagine above all else, Daboll wanted a QB who would take coaching.

Might shed some light on the rumor that Mayfield and Rosen were not on our "nice" list.

You might be on to something. Yesterday was the opposite of coordinated. 

1 hour ago, Sky Diver said:

How many offensive coordinators won a National Championship last year?

I would love to see a list of college OCs who won championships.  Great honor but I’m not so sure you have to be a great coach to do it.

And Daboll is a dime a dozen OC.  Kinda amazing so many people thought he was an upgrade.  His nfl resume is terrible and there is nothing innovative about his schemes or play calling.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I would love to see a list of college OCs who won championships.  Great honor but I’m not so sure you have to be a great coach to do it.

And Daboll is a dime a dozen OC.  Kinda amazing so many people thought he was an upgrade.  His nfl resume is terrible and there is nothing innovative about his schemes or play calling.

Didn't Shady say that he was a genius?

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/10/2018 at 9:41 AM, C.Biscuit97 said:

Truth - he's not an upgrade.  Honestly, Chan Gailey or Greg Roman would be better.  He's gone, perhaps mid-season, perhaps he might last till Christmas.

Edited by Billzfan23
typo
  • Like (+1) 1