Gregg Rosenthal: 2018 NFL QB Index - Ranking QBs from the Last Four Drafts

26CornerBlitz

On 9/27/2018 at 2:57 PM, Domdab99 said:

I know people do these things for fun, but rankings and power rankings and all that are just so silly...whoever wins...that's who's good. Whoever keeps winning...that's who's better. 

sometimes greats are playing on bad teams

but we don't need stats or rankings to tell us if we watch football

QB Index, Week 6: Four opinions I will fight you over

0ap3000000972714.jpg&f=jpg&w=1280&c=80

It's easy to have an opinion about quarterbacks. But there are too many opinions in this media environment without real conviction behind them. I believe in the four statements below so much that I will fight you if you disagree with any of them.

Patrick Mahomes will have staying power
Anthony Lynn has seen the light: Philip Rivers must be maximized
Jameis Winston will take advantage of this opportunity
Blake Bortles is better
Edited by 26CornerBlitz

QB Index, Week 7: Finally, It's Philip Rivers' Year

By Gregg Rosenthal - Around The NFL Editor

This is the Philip Rivers season I've been waiting for, his no-hitter entering the fifth inning that I'm afraid to jinx by writing about.

All of Rivers' usual attributes are ever-present. He is throwing his receivers open with the anticipation of someone who already knows how the play is going to end. He's the master of the mid-range game, throwing line drives through zone defenses and teardrops over man coverage down the sideline. He delivers passes just before he's hit, just like he connects on postgame observations that could be stitched, framed and put in your bathroom.

NOTE: This is the Quarterback Index. The QBs are ranked based on 2018 play alone. So what's happened in previous seasons -- and what will happen moving forward -- doesn't matter in this exercise. The next ranking of all 32 starters comes in two weeks.

QB Confidence Index: Ranking NFL depth charts 1-32

Dan Graziano ESPN Staff Writer

A couple of weeks back, I was in Houston to cover the Sunday night game between the Texans and the Cowboys, and I was talking to one of the Texans' coaches on the field before the game. I asked him how he felt about this game, and we had a wide-ranging talk about all of their injuries and what a rough start it had been to the season for them and how well the Cowboys' defense had been playing, etc.

Then he said, "But with our quarterback, I feel like we always have a chance."

And that's it, right there. That sentiment is the very basis for the Quarterback Confidence Index. If you feel good about your quarterback, you feel like you have a chance. If you don't, you probably don't. Any "yeah, but" you can throw at that logic is pure rationalization. Is it possible to win without a franchise quarterback? Sure. But I don't know a team that would want to try.

With that in mind, we present the latest installment of an occasional feature we like to call the Quarterback Confidence Index. Please remember, this is not a ranking of starting quarterbacks. Rather, it is a ranking of teams in order of which we believe have the most confidence in their quarterback situation as a whole. That means starter, backup situation, age, health history, plans for the future, etc. If you click ahead to your team and don't like what's written about it there, try to carve out some time to read the rest of the piece, for context. Otherwise, I'll see you on Twitter and try not to take it personally.
buf.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

With first-round rookie Josh Allen sidelined because of injury, the current starter in Buffalo is Derek Anderson, who has a career completion percentage of 54.3 to go with 60 touchdown passes and 63 interceptions in 77 career games (48 starts). His backup, while Allen is hurt, is Nathan Peterman, who has 35 completions and nine interceptions in 79 career pass attempts.

Short-term confidence: LOW. With a patchwork offensive line and an even patchworkier receiving corps, there's not much anyone can do here. They're marking time until Allen is back and can continue his development.

Long-term confidence: MEDIUM. The Bills liked Allen enough to take him No. 7 overall, and they believe he's their future. He just hasn't shown enough yet to warrant the optimism of a Darnold or a Mayfield.

QB INDEX

0ap3000000978199.jpg&f=jpg&w=1280&c=80

Around this time last season, Jimmy Garoppolo was traded to the 49ers and it shocked the NFL world. Who could be that surprise QB trade this season? Gregg Rosethal lists five candidates.

Quarterback trades have become a thing over the last few years. From Sam Bradford to Alex Smith to Jacoby Brissett and AJ McCarron, the trade tsunami taking over the league has extended to its most important position.

No quarterback trade came as a bigger surprise than the San Francisco 49ers' deadline deal for Jimmy Garoppolo last season. It was a seismic move that none of the insiders saw coming. Before getting to the Week 8 QB rankings below, let's take a quick look at some long-shot candidates to get moved before the league's Oct. 30 deadline (next Tuesday at 4 p.m. ET), with an eye on what could happen to them this offseason.

NFL Week 9 QB Power Rankings: Cam Newton an MVP candidate again thanks to Norv Turner's offense

To the weekly quarterback rankings. 

Yell at me on Twitter @WillBrinson with your complaints, questions and (unlikely) compliments and make sure to check out my daily NFL podcast, the Pick Six Podcast, which you can subscribe to on iTunes here

To the rankings:

madrvq.jpg

Ranking QBs 1-32: See Where Brady, Rodgers Land

0ap3000000983191_thumbnail_200_150.jpg

Gregg Rosenthal reveals his ranking of all 32 starting quarterbacks at the midpoint of the 2018 NFL season. Have a look at where Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady land in the pecking order heading into their Week 9 matchup

vnpbis.jpg
Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LSHMEAB said:

Is this for fantasy football purposes?

On what planet is Kirk Cousins better than Drew Brees or Matt Ryan better than Tom Brady?

Not a fan of that list.

The Saints don't rely on Brees as much as they used to with the strong running game provided by Ingram and Kamara.  They are a well balanced attack.  Simms is likely just looking at how each QB is playing right now.  Same thing with Rosenthal who has Brady at 10 currently IIRC. 

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The Saints don't rely on Brees as much as they used to with the strong running game provided by Ingram and Kamara.  They are a well balanced attack.  Simms is likely just looking at how each QB is playing right now.  Same thing with Rosenthal who has Brady at 10 currently IIRC. 

I can see Brees slipping in the rankings based on that clock killing offense, but not down to 9 and not behind Cousins.

It's a subjective list and I'm sure there's data to support his rankings so it is what it is. 

16 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I can see Brees slipping in the rankings based on that clock killing offense, but not down to 9 and not behind Cousins.

It's a subjective list and I'm sure there's data to support his rankings so it is what it is. 

I think each of these "analysts" uses highly subjective criteria. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Like (+1) 2

As we close the door on Week 9 in the NFL, it’s time to look at Pro Football Focus’ season grades for all 32 starting quarterbacks in the NFL. The best of the best have likely already punched their tickets to the playoffs, while the signal-callers nearing the middle of the pack and below have work to do in order to get back on track under center.

NATHAN PETERMAN, QB, BUFFALO BILLS

2018 OVERALL GRADE: 32.9
Accuracy percentage: 46.3% (N/A)

Clean-Pocket Grade: 36.0 (N/A)
Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Best, worst QBs of the first half: Who follows Mahomes?

Seth Walder, ESPN Analytics

As we pass the midway mark on the 2018 NFL season, the Total QBR leaderboard is a good place to see which quarterbacks have dominated and which have struggled mightily through the first half.

While QBs most often are judged by wins and losses or touchdowns and interceptions, we like to rank them by the stat that measures their per-play contribution to their team's cause.

An explainer of QBR can be found here, but the main idea is to capture more elements of a quarterback's play than traditional methods consider. QBR includes the value (or lack thereof) of quarterback rushing, sacks, fumbles, relevant penalties and -- crucially -- the down and distance of every play. QBR works on a 0-to-100 scale, with 50 roughly average and 75 about Pro Bowl-caliber.

Which quarterbacks were the best and worst in the first half?

Bottom three

1. Josh AllenBuffalo Bills

Total QBR: 30.8

Allen seems to have a weakness in dealing with pressure. Only C.J. Beathardhas a worse QBR when under duress.

The good news is that the former Wyoming quarterback has an above-average pass-blocking group in front of him, according to our pass block win rate metrics from NFL Next Gen Stats. The bad news is that even with that support, he has been the least efficient quarterback in the league among qualifiers (no, teammate Nathan Peterman isn't qualified).

One look at the receiving corps suggests Allen isn't getting much help, but the early returns on a quarterback that entered the draft with plenty of questions have been poor. He has been out since Week 6 with an elbow injury but is on the mend.

Josh Allen Under Pressure

AllenW9Plot.PNG

COMPLETIONS ATTEMPTS YARDS TD INT
  12 39 134 0 3

Week 9's Worst Quarterbacks

By Total QBR

QB TEAM QBR
Nathan Peterman Buffalo Bills 11.9
Sam Darnold New York Jets 19.5
Derek Carr Oakland Raiders 23.3

On 11/2/2018 at 7:35 PM, LSHMEAB said:

Is this for fantasy football purposes?

On what planet is Kirk Cousins better than Drew Brees or Matt Ryan better than Tom Brady?

Not a fan of that list.

Based on this year alone a lot of QBs are better than Brady. He's been pretty good, but not his normal exceptional.