Gregg Rosenthal: 2018 NFL QB Index - Ranking QBs from the Last Four Drafts

26CornerBlitz

15 minutes ago, Nelius said:

Right on, I agree with most of this, but if Ryan's in that third tier then I'd move him to the head of the pack and knock Stafford out of it completely. I think Ryan is pretty much in lock-step with Luck right now, although far more durable which is a huge plus. Big Ben, Wilson, Goff are in that cloudy second realm too, I wouldn't have issue with anybody ranking Ryan ahead of any of them. Mahomes can definitely hang with the big boys and is probably a step ahead.

yeah i would agree with that, after looking again at the list I think I would put him 9th.  Lucks health is a legit concern, but since he is healthy I will give him the edge.  I don’t think Ryan is better than Mahomes, Big Ben or Wilson.  I can see someone making a case for Ryan over Goff, but I personally like Goff better (although I am a little biased as Rams are my second team) but wouldn’t have an issue if someone put Ryan ahead of him or Luck.

QB Index, Week 16: Ranking QBs from Last Four Drafts

0ap3000001002208.jpg&f=jpg&w=1280&c=80

Two years after former Browns executive Sashi Brown made the unpopular decision to pass on Carson Wentz, the Browns have a younger, potentially better quarterback in place. This is not an article defending the analytically driven tenure of Sashi, just one that recognizes that the process behind passing up on Wentz eventually resulted in the Browns finally finding their chosen one.

Mayfield is part of a blockbuster draft class selected by new Browns GM John Dorsey, while Sashi's underrated 2017 class (Myles Garrett/David Njoku/Jabrill Peppers/Larry Ogunjobi) adds to the stacked young core. Mayfield's arm strength is obvious. But I believe he's the most impressive rookie quarterback to enter the league since Andrew Luck because he displays the same type of anticipation, accuracy, pocket presence and feel for the game that helps make Luck special. There is nothing deferential in Mayfield's game, no concept that he has to bide his time learning as a pro before taking ownership of his team.

In honor of Mayfield's decisiveness, there's no point in waiting to say I'd take Mayfield over Wentz, Jared Goff, Deshaun Watson and Dak Prescott long-term.

NOTE: For this week's QB Index, I chose the impossible task of ranking the quarterbacks from the last four draft classes with a minimum of 100 pass attempts. They are ranked for the long haul, not how they've performed this season. Mayfield just narrowly misses coming out on top.
Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

QB Index, Week 16: Ranking QBs from Last Four Drafts

Two years after former Browns executive Sashi Brown made the unpopular decision to pass on Carson Wentz, the Browns have a younger, potentially better quarterback in place. This is not an article defending the analytically driven tenure of Sashi, just one that recognizes that the process behind passing up on Wentz eventually resulted in the Browns finally finding their chosen one.

Mayfield is part of a blockbuster draft class selected by new Browns GM John Dorsey, while Sashi's underrated 2017 class (Myles Garrett/David Njoku/Jabrill Peppers/Larry Ogunjobi) adds to the stacked young core. Mayfield's arm strength is obvious. But I believe he's the most impressive rookie quarterback to enter the league since Andrew Luck because he displays the same type of anticipation, accuracy, pocket presence and feel for the game that helps make Luck special. There is nothing deferential in Mayfield's game, no concept that he has to bide his time learning as a pro before taking ownership of his team.

In honor of Mayfield's decisiveness, there's no point in waiting to say I'd take Mayfield over Wentz, Jared Goff, Deshaun Watson and Dak Prescott long-term.

NOTE: For this week's QB Index, I chose the impossible task of ranking the quarterbacks from the last four draft classes with a minimum of 100 pass attempts. They are ranked for the long haul, not how they've performed this season. Mayfield just narrowly misses coming out on top.

That’s a ? take

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Gregg Rosenthal: 2018 NFL QB Index - Ranking QBs from the Last Four Drafts

I've never been a big fan of Matt Ryan despite the numbers. That young man seems to lack that oomph that the upper echelon QB's possess. This can't be quantified and I'm sure the analytics folks, who I respect, will have a different take. I just think there's something missing with Matt Ryan.

NFL Week 16 QB Power Rankings: Philip Rivers is the best quarterback in the NFL right now

Last time we dropped these rankings, I pointed out just how absurd Patrick Mahomesseason has been. And now, I'm going to move him out of the top spot. You know the old saying -- to be the best, you've got to beat the best. And Philip Rivers did just that last Thursday, toppling the Chiefs, exorcising some demons and vaulting himself into the thick of the MVP race with a 14-point, fourth-quarter comeback in Kansas City.

Mahomes is still probably going to win the award. He'd need to lay an egg in Seattle and the Chiefs would have to lose and the Chargers would have to win out for that to happen.

But these rankings aren't about an MVP debate. It's who I think is playing the best quarterback in the NFL right now. And Philip Rivers -- right now -- is the best quarterback in football.

It's a combination of things for him to hit that mark. Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgersare having down years by their lofty standards. Ben Roethlisberger has been up and down depending on the situation (home vs. road, good opponent vs. bad opponent, etc). Jared Goff and Drew Brees have had bad stretches over the last month, give or take. Andrew Luck and Russell Wilson haven't been as consistent as Rivers. Rivers just beat Mahomes. 

Repeat after me: right now Philip Rivers is the best quarterback in the NFL.

jl45ms.jpg

To have Lamar Jackson in front of Allen is absolutely laughable. To have Rosen in front of Allen is sketchy at best. To have Jackson and Rosen in front of Trubisky is ridiculous. Credibility level for any of these nerds? -3

Edited by H2o
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

NFL Week 16 QB Power Rankings: Philip Rivers is the best quarterback in the NFL right now

Last time we dropped these rankings, I pointed out just how absurd Patrick Mahomesseason has been. And now, I'm going to move him out of the top spot. You know the old saying -- to be the best, you've got to beat the best. And Philip Rivers did just that last Thursday, toppling the Chiefs, exorcising some demons and vaulting himself into the thick of the MVP race with a 14-point, fourth-quarter comeback in Kansas City.

Mahomes is still probably going to win the award. He'd need to lay an egg in Seattle and the Chiefs would have to lose and the Chargers would have to win out for that to happen.

But these rankings aren't about an MVP debate. It's who I think is playing the best quarterback in the NFL right now. And Philip Rivers -- right now -- is the best quarterback in football.

It's a combination of things for him to hit that mark. Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgersare having down years by their lofty standards. Ben Roethlisberger has been up and down depending on the situation (home vs. road, good opponent vs. bad opponent, etc). Jared Goff and Drew Brees have had bad stretches over the last month, give or take. Andrew Luck and Russell Wilson haven't been as consistent as Rivers. Rivers just beat Mahomes. 

Repeat after me: right now Philip Rivers is the best quarterback in the NFL.

jl45ms.jpg

Allen went from 26 two weeks ago to 17 that's some good movement.

53 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

On a BIlls' forum I'm sure it is.  In the end who cares, it's just an opinion that will have zero impact on what happens in the long term.

I’m sure we have some bias as Bills fans, but it seems like a stretch to say that the trajectory of Jackson and Rosen looks brighter than Allen’s does. 

My guess is that it has a lot to do with keeping pre-draft ideas current. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, whatdrought said:

I’m sure we have some bias as Bills fans, but it seems like a stretch to say that the trajectory of Jackson and Rosen looks brighter than Allen’s does. 

My guess is that it has a lot to do with keeping pre-draft ideas current. 

He said it was film study and I'll take his word for it. In then end analsyst opinions don't matter. 

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

He said it was film study and I'll take his word for it. In then end analsyst opinions don't matter. 

I suppose it depends on what he values within a QB’s game.

Seems to me that if passing is valued then Jackson is out.

If ball security is valued, then Darnold is out.

And if winning (or at least helping a team show some dang thing) is valued rhen Rosen is out.

all of which are knocks (in lesser amounts perhaps, but non-the-less) of Allen as well.

So, you are correct. It doesn’t matter, and we will see.

3 hours ago, H2o said:

To have Lamar Jackson in front of Allen is absolutely laughable. To have Rosen in front of Allen is sketchy at best. To have Jackson and Rosen in front of Trubisky is ridiculous. Credibility level for any of these nerds? -3

He is a more efficient passer and rusher.  He has more yards on half the rushes.

14 hours ago, whatdrought said:

I suppose it depends on what he values within a QB’s game.

Seems to me that if passing is valued then Jackson is out.

If ball security is valued, then Darnold is out.

And if winning (or at least helping a team show some dang thing) is valued rhen Rosen is out.

all of which are knocks (in lesser amounts perhaps, but non-the-less) of Allen as well.

So, you are correct. It doesn’t matter, and we will see.

Jackson is a different paradigm as a QB as a true dual threat. Darnold shows quite a bit in terms of passing traits and playmaking on a bad team, Rosen showed well earlier, but things have declined as his situation has gotten progressively worse with a terrible OL and weapons getting injured. Allen's situation has gotten better with the speed element added  by Foster and McKenzie along with his own development.  Long way to go for all of them. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Thank you (+1) 1