Gregg Rosenthal: 2018 NFL QB Index - Ranking QBs from the Last Four Drafts

26CornerBlitz

43 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I don't know what you're referring to, but I've posted plenty about Allen of late with praise for how he's done some very good things since his return from the elbow injury.   You must be part of the Allen bunker brigade

Good job at attacking me personally, I was just helping to balance the analysis in this very thread. Like I told you and you recently agreed, it's too early to tell who will be better.

3 minutes ago, syhuang said:

Good job at attacking me personally, I was just helping to balance the analysis in this very thread. Like I told you and you recently agreed, it's too early to tell who will be better.

Attacking you personally? It's in jest. You seem awfully sensitive.

QB Index, Week 17: Previewing Offseason QB Market

It's finally Teddy's time. Right? Saints coach Sean Payton may not want to give away his plans for playing time in the team's season finale just yet, but with the No. 1 seed in the NFC already locked up, Drew Brees is among those expecting Teddy Bridgewater to get significant snaps against the Pantherson Sunday. In fact, Brees was inactive in a similar scenario back in 2009.

Bridgewater's comeback from the devastating knee injury he suffered in 2016 has included many notable benchmarks, but starting or getting significant regular-season snaps would be a big step forward. It could also serve as a springboard for Bridgewater to jump to the top of this offseason's crowded quarterback market.

For once, the supply of potential veteran starters could exceed the demand. There aren't many teams desperate for a new starter, a subject I wrote about in early December. The Jaguars and Redskinsshould definitely be looking to make deals, but there are more teams like the DolphinsGiantsBroncos and Buccaneers that could play a game of chicken with their current starters, waiting to see how the trade market develops before turning the page at the position.

Bridgewater had high hopes heading into free agency this past offseason, but wound up signing for less guaranteed money than guys like Mike Glennon and Drew Stanton. That was a miscalculation by many teams. After Bridgewater's impressive preseason with the Jets, his value rose enough to inspire the Saints to send a third-round pick to the Jets just to get Bridgewater in the building as a backup. (The Saints also received a sixth-round pick in the deal.)

Saints fans see Sunday as a recruiting effort. If Bridgewater can shine in Payton's system, perhaps he will be sold on remaining there as Brees' eventual successor. However, it's more likely that a prime performance inspires a team like the Jaguars or Dolphins to offer Bridgewater a real chance at a starting job and the money that comes with it. After three years off the field, that would be a difficult offer to refuse.

With the season-ending QB Index rankings on tap for next week, I wanted to take an early look at what players could be available this offseason. I've ranked quarterbacks in two categories: Expected free agents and potential trade/cut candidates, with Bridgewater leading the way in the first category.