Survivor Pool

Doc

Just now, joesixpack said:

That's my big reason for going Lions. Everyone and their cocaine-addled sister are picking the Saints. IF there's an upset there, I'm golden.

Exactly. Especially early, I stay away from 'lock' picks because A- everyone is taking that game and an upset really thins the herd and B- first few weeks of the regular season are always turbulent, hard to predict...especially divisional games. Not only am I staying away from Saints in suicide, I have a $50 sidebet that the Bucaneers cover. And since I only get to pick each team once, I want the Saints next week at home against the Browns WAY more than opening week against a division opponent. 

4 hours ago, eball said:

I think Green Bay, Baltimore, and Pittsburgh are sucker picks this week -- all have a legitimate chance to lose.  New Orleans is probably the safest, but they're also one of the most popular so I'm staying away because there are lots of "good" picks down the line (Detroit, Carolina, Rams).  I also try to stay away from divisional games if at all possible.

Good tip about divisional games, I find they typically end closer then most other games do against non divisional teams so i dont typically go with the spread if it's high for the favorite.

1 hour ago, joesixpack said:

That's my big reason for going Lions. Everyone and their cocaine-addled sister are picking the Saints. IF there's an upset there, I'm golden.

But your also picking the Lions, a time that could resort to their usual bad selves and lose to a young Jets team....

5 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Good tip about divisional games, I find they typically end closer then most other games do against non divisional teams so i dont typically go with the spread if it's high for the favorite.

But your also picking the Lions, a time that could resort to their usual bad selves and lose to a young Jets team....

If it was AT new york, I'd have concerns.

I don't have the faith in Darnold some around here do.

3 hours ago, joesixpack said:

My concern isnt about having faith in Darnold, I just think that they have improved a bit from last year and the Lions arent that great of a team that can be expected to not lose games they Re expected to win. I have the Lions to win in a pick'em pool this week, just wouldn't be confident enough to take them in a survivor pool just yet against the Jets.

4 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Exactly. Especially early, I stay away from 'lock' picks because A- everyone is taking that game and an upset really thins the herd and B- first few weeks of the regular season are always turbulent, hard to predict...especially divisional games. Not only am I staying away from Saints in suicide, I have a $50 sidebet that the Bucaneers cover. And since I only get to pick each team once, I want the Saints next week at home against the Browns WAY more than opening week against a division opponent. 

I never worry about what others are picking in a survivor pool cause it doesnt matter, you need to worry about yourself only cause a win is still the same whether the entire pool picked it or your the only one.

If it comes down to picking between teams sometimes I will try and save some teams for later, but otherwise I just take whomever I feel has the best chance to win

Edited by apuszczalowski

14 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

13 hours ago, joesixpack said:

Lions are not a bad team, and Patricia likely knows how to confuse a rookie QB.  I think Detroit is a strong pick.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, eball said:

Lions are not a bad team, and Patricia likely knows how to confuse a rookie QB.  I think Detroit is a strong pick.

The Lions could be good, but Patricia is unknown at this point as a head coach, as much as Darnold. Patricia could come out looking like Rex Ryan and Darnold like Brady or je could look like BB with Darnold looking like Manzel. BBs former coordinators haven't had good track records once they leave him and are on their own.....

I think this game falls into the "too risky" category of a pick for a survivor/suicide pool pick in week 1

Edited by apuszczalowski

39 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

The Lions could be good, but Patricia is unknown at this point as a head coach, as much as Darnold. Patricia could come out looking like Rex Ryan and Darnold like Brady or je could look like BB with Darnold looking like Manzel. BBs former coordinators haven't had good track records once they leave him and are on their own.....

I think this game falls into the "too risky" category of a pick for a survivor/suicide pool pick in week 1

The odds are far greater that Patricia shuts down Darnold than Darnold looks like Brady.  If this were a home Jets game, I'd be more wary.

Edited by Doc

32% knocked out so far in my pool thanks to the Saints losing.  If the Bills had won, another 22% would have been gone.  Hopefully the Packers lose tonight so another 13% get knocked out.  And hopefully the Lions and Rams win tomorrow night. 

Edited by Doc

37 minutes ago, Doc said:

32% knocked out so far in my pool thanks to the Saints losing.  If the Bills had won, another 22% would have been gone.  Hopefully the Packers lose tonight so another 13% get knocked out.  And hopefully the Lions and Rams win tomorrow night. 

In one I'm in, over 60 of 183 people took the Saints as their pick.