TD On Simoncast

Dan Gross

Can't wait to get started...It's a great time of the year. We're in a "great football area, here in Buffalo."

Anybody that was waived of interest? Probably not initially. Satisfied with roster and practice squad. Personnel is an everyday thing and we'll tweak the roster, but we're set for now.

Thoughts leaving pre-season. Feels good. When we have struggled, we've been our worst enemy. Penalties, sloppiness on special teams. We are turning the football over on defense. Offensively we are controlling the ball, avg 33 minutes possession, avg 137 yards rushing. Offensive line will continue to get better (understands that's a big concern for everyone)

Why do you feel confident? It's a combo. Even in the past when we've struggled protecting the QB, we've had great run blockers. You don't get 1400+ yards without that. We need to feature that running game more. Problem with passing game last year was we weren't on the same page. We are this year. Wish the line had more time together.

Due to starting O-Line not playing togethere, are games one and two "extended pre-season?" Don't want to look at it that way, but initially we may not be able to do everything we want to on offense. Bottom line is that if you can't block for the runner and QB you won't win.

On Mularkey does not act like a typical rookie HC. Has surrounded himself with great coaches. Was able to retain key coaches. He's a head coach willing to lean on staff, listens to people.

What have you seen that makes you say "does not act like typical rookie HC"? Occasionally you'll get disorganization, problems with clock management, game time decisions, what to do on 3rd/short and 4th down. 1st drive in Detroit was a great drive. Good decision making. Staff works together well.

Lee Evans? He'll have an impact. Didn't try to feature anyone in pre-season games. Didn't game-plan, which is where you usually feature players. Looking at opposing teams' defenses and their weaknesses is where you develop a game plan that features players. He will help the offense...

What about the LDE situation? Two starters at LDE. They will get rotated, possibly spelling Schoebel as well. Both have done well.

Safety: impact of starting Wire? Any timeframe for Lawyer? Impact will be minimal. Coy started as rookie, did good job. Lawyer definitely out for this week...beyond it it's day by day. He'll be back as soon as he feels he can get back...(won't slack it).

Difference in Rian Lindell? Is there a cut-off point/range (40-45 yard) you assign to him? His leg is strong- he can hit them from beyond 50. Not always the kicker...there's the snap, the holder. Have worked with all phases. Struggled early, but after the first two weeks of camp he has done well.

I loved the followup callers after TD..Some guy named John...why doesn't TD list his mistakes and make everything sound so positive? Why doesn't he just say our team is bad ? Cried a river for 5 minutes...Now another guy is wondering why the GM's never answer a direct question.

I can actually hear the gravel shifting in their heads...

I loved the followup callers after TD..Some guy named John...why doesn't TD list his mistakes and make everything sound so positive? Why doesn't he just say our team is bad ? Cried a river for 5 minutes...Now another guy is wondering why the GM's never answer a direct question.

I can actually hear the gravel shifting in their heads...

21083[/snapback]

But did you notice how much TD said about the OL? I have never, ever seeen nor heard an interview in which any person in the Bills organization spent that much time discussing the issue of blocking.

This my friend cannot be bad. :rolleyes::o

What about the LDE situation?[/b] Two starters at LDE.  They will get rotated, possibly spelling Schoebel as well.  Both have done well.

21075[/snapback]

I am not sure what to make of this two headed monster at LDE. Instead of both doing well as stated by TD, is it more of a case that neither of them raised their play to the next level, so therefore the Bills will play both of them and hope for the best???? :rolleyes:

I am not sure what to make of this two headed monster at LDE.  Instead of both doing well as stated by TD, is it more of a case that neither of them raised their play to the next level, so therefore the Bills will play both of them and hope for the best???? :rolleyes:

21113[/snapback]

Actually I think they both raised their play during the preseason and it just made it hard to pick an absolute starter. This will probably play out in the early part of the season.

I am not sure what to make of this two headed monster at LDE.  Instead of both doing well as stated by TD, is it more of a case that neither of them raised their play to the next level, so therefore the Bills will play both of them and hope for the best???? :rolleyes:

21113[/snapback]

I think it is the case of neither of them raising their play to a level where he forced the team to play him a lot and rely on him, but I wouldn't say it was a case of both of them being failures so we are in big touble because neither took the job.

In essence alot of this is driven by the decision by us (and much of the rest of the league) to play multiple DL players in waves rather than rely on a Bruce Smith like star who is in for almost all snaps.

I think one outside sign of Krumrie/Gray feeling that he feels both Kelsay and Denny are satisfactory though neither is great is the fact that the Bills cut both Glidon and McKenzie. If we were down to grasping at straws. these two are the first straws and both were cut.

In fact, the confidence in Kelsay and Denny seems high enough that we went without a #2 at RDE behind Schobel and the three of them are expected to rotate in these two slots.

Our braintrist may be wrong, but they seem to view Kelsay and Denny's play in a positive light.

I think it is the case of neither of them raising their play to a level where he forced the team to play him a lot and rely on him, but I wouldn't say it was a case of both of them being failures so we are in big touble because neither took the job.

21123[/snapback]

FFS...I don't think Kelsay and Denney are failures, I just thought Kelsay was going to take the bull by the horns and end the revolving door at LDE that the Bills have had since Hanson left.

Guest BillsMaven

I've been wondering for quite some time and meant ask TD why the Bills have not played a preseason game in Syracuse at the Carrier Dome. The Rochester Bills vs. The Albany Giants makes a lot of sense for football and marketing purposes. TD has stated, when he first took the helm that the Bills would play a preseason game in the Carrier Dome. Anyone know why this has not happened to date?

FFS...I don't think Kelsay and Denney are failures, I just thought Kelsay was going to take the bull by the horns and end the revolving door at LDE that the Bills have had since Hanson left.

21128[/snapback]

You know (and I don't mean this personally to you LB) but why is that we cannot collectively get it through our heads that most rookies take at least two full seasons in the league to become quality starters? It is so rare that a second round pick comes in and dominates from his first game on. Why do we not remember that Bruce Smith was not even good until his third year, that we groomed Marcellus Wiley for three seasons before he made an impact. That Eric Moulds was considered a bust by many until his fourth year.

The fact is Kelsay is only beginning his second year. Denney now has two years, one of which he maybe played in like 8 games. Give these guys a little time.

Actually, Denney I thought had a a great preseason. In just the two games I got to watch, I saw him play solid run defense with some plays made at or behind the liine, he forced Manning into an interception (by Coy Wire) when he nearly sacked him and he even got an INT of his own dropping back into coverage on a zone blitz!

Denney has come a long way, and Kelsay has a bit more to come. But they are both very solid DEs now for two guys with 3 seasons of expereince between them.