LeVeon Bell’s teammates turning on him (update: still not back)

YoloinOhio

Option A) take 14 mil, and spend the year getting your bones ground to dust. Hit the free agent market as a 28 year old back who had 800 carries over the last 2 years.

Option B) sit out the year, save your body and hit free agency with more tread on the tire and get a better long term deal.

seems like an easy choice to me. Surprised so many people wouldn’t try for 60 mil because they’d be happy with 14.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, timekills17 said:

Exactly. $14 million this year. For a running back. Granted, a running back that catches as well as most and better than some receivers but still.

Why do people think they have to defend players when even their own teammates don't think he should be holding out?

Because those teammates have more self interest in Bell being there than a Bills fan.

Good for Bell, it's not just about this year. If he has a career ending injury or messes up a knee he's losing millions because they're refusing to give him guaranteed money. I see both sides of it. Investing in a rb is risky, but the rb trying to get the most out of his career. I understand that too 

People get fixated about 14.5 million, but if you're worth 45, why would you take that? The 12 he banked last year is even less incentive to take the 14.5 if you feel it is under market value. No one likes to be underpaid or embraces that feeling. In terms of what he does, yea 14.5 is way more than a football player is worth. However, in terms of capitalism it isn't. 

I hope he holds out until week 8 because a) F the Steelers, and b) get your money while you have the chance.

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

The going isn't getting tough for the other Steelers, nor is it for Bell.  Plenty of top players got paid this month.  Bell isn't going to get paid what he wants by anyone.  The market speaks.  This is how it always works.  

This is a totally appropriate response to this guy's behavior by his teammates.

He's not on the market. He can only be offered what the Steelers give him. The market has had no say on these negotiations. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, WhoTom said:

Worst case, it's a career-ending injury and he only gets $14M+. Jeez, he may have to bag groceries to make ends meet.

Easy to say when it is someone else doing the suffering. Who knows if he could even bag groceries if it comes to a career ending injury.

It's a feudal mentality fans have. Be happy with what you get from the billionaires, it's more than what the other serfs make. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, WhoTom said:

Worst case, it's a career-ending injury and he only gets $14M+. Jeez, he may have to bag groceries to make ends meet.

That's about a 250% difference in guaranteed money he could be earning. Would you take a 250% pay cut out of 'loyalty'?

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

CT, I think because it is the most bunker mentality of all the Leagues.  The brotherhood of being in the trenches.

They also are the most vulnerable pro athletes through injury and risk to get cut any given week.

8 hours ago, KGun12TD said:

Who cares? Is he a Bills? No? Who cares. Their problem.

Thought Bills fans would be sympathetic to a RBs plight as the team has put about 90 percent of its hope in an aging Shady

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Players agreed to the CBA which allows for the franchise tag. Bell should retire or show up. Period.

He was in college when those players agreed to the CBA. But I'm sure you'd continue down some path saying he should do something else then or take less than market value. So I guess that's probably irrelevant to you.

Edited by Ol Dirty B
  • Like (+1) 1

It's a business and Bell has more to gain by sitting out the season than he does playing. The Steelers can't franchise him anymore and their plan was to ride him for one more year than let him walk as he enters the latter years of his 20's with 5 straight years of wear and tear (2014-2018.) So why play this year on the franchise tag if you stand to lose your long term value if you get hurt? Bell has already proven for 4 straight seasons that he is an elite starting running back in the NFL, he has very little to gain by being elite for a 5th season. 

Yes it does suck for his teammates who are losing a great player but why put the blame on Bell and not on the team for not signing him? It seems to be completely one sided for the team to just blame Bell and not express any frustration with the management. 

5 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Players agreed to the CBA which allows for the franchise tag. Bell should retire or show up. Period.

The CBA also allows for a player to holdout provided that they pay fines. So if a player does not want to play on his deal he is allowed to pay the fines. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

He was in college when those players agreed to the CBA. But I'm sure you'd continue down some path saying he should do something else then or take less than market value. So I guess that's probably irrelevant to you.

Well no one forced Bell to agree to the CBA, did they?

4 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

It's a business and Bell has more to gain by sitting out the season than he does playing. The Steelers can't franchise him anymore and their plan was to ride him for one more year than let him walk as he enters the latter years of his 20's with 5 straight years of wear and tear (2014-2018.) So why play this year on the franchise tag if you stand to lose your long term value if you get hurt? Bell has already proven for 4 straight seasons that he is an elite starting running back in the NFL, he has very little to gain by being elite for a 5th season. 

Yes it does suck for his teammates who are losing a great player but why put the blame on Bell and not on the team for not signing him? It seems to be completely one sided for the team to just blame Bell and not express any frustration with the management. 

The CBA also allows for a player to holdout provided that they pay fines. So if a player does not want to play on his deal he is allowed to pay the fines. 

Fair enough. The Steelers are also within their rights to let him hold out for 10 weeks and cost Bell a year then.

3 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

He was in college when those players agreed to the CBA. But I'm sure you'd continue down some path saying he should do something else then or take less than market value.

I would say the franchise tag of roughly 14.5 million is close to his value in terms of average annual value but it offers him no security beyond this season. If Bell had hit the open market this past off-season he would have had over 35 million in guaranteed money as opposed to the 14.5 million he currently has on the table. The risk of playing on that tag is far too high for him. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, BringBackOrton said:

Well no one forced Bell to agree to the CBA, did they?

Just be a human being. This board makes me think less and less of Bills fans. He didn't have an option, the NFL is a monopoly. It was his only opportunity to make that kind of money. He proved himself and now they won't pay him. He can't go to Europe and play football, hell, he can't even switch employers in the US. He didn't even get to choose where he'd work. I know they are paid greatly, but that doesn't change how stupid the system is that they have no control over.

Like I said, this CBA was agreed upon while he was in college and he had no input on it. You say no one forced him to accept it, but that organization is the only one that allows for making a good living playing the game. He didn't have choices. You're being hard headed if you suggest otherwise. 

1 minute ago, billsfan89 said:

I would say the franchise tag of roughly 14.5 million is close to his value in terms of average annual value but it offers him no security beyond this season. If Bell had hit the open market this past off-season he would have had over 35 million in guaranteed money as opposed to the 14.5 million he currently has on the table. The risk of playing on that tag is far too high for him. 

Exactly, that is the whole issue here. I'm sorry, I wasn't clear on that post but I have mentioned it in others. It's all about the guaranteed money. 

• Like (+1) 1