LeVeon Bell’s teammates turning on him (update: still not back)

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Dude's my franchise fantasy football keeper. AND HE SCREWS ME EVERY SEASON. Get it together Bell. Your teammates hate you, you get suspended for pot every other year.. and you're an insanely talented runningback that everyone still forgives you

Maybe that is why he has not signed yet.  He was smoking all summer and waiting for all the by products to clear his system.

• Haha (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Mentioned yesterday the #Steelers final offer to RB Le’Veon Bell was 5 years, $70M. More context today: The fully guaranteed part was his signing bonus of just over $10M. He would’ve made $33M over the 1st two years — in a rolling guaranteed structure. $45M over the 1st 3 years.

looks like your right.  

in any event, cry me a freaking river.  The guy plays football.    He told his teammates he would show-up for the regular season and didn't.  Who is disrespecting who now?   The guys blocking for him make less.  Can't wait till Connor lights it up.  I don't even think Bell is as talented as Gurley, Kamara, Johnson, or McCoy, FFYIW.  He runs behind a great line and waits for holes to open with his delay step.  That won't work everywhere.  

cry you a freaking river?

we aren't here to discuss if football players are "overpaid"

we are discussing his contract in regards to others.

he wants market value for his performance.

he wants more than $10 mil guaranteed, when the franchise is $14.5 mil.

Washington tried to pull the same crap with cousins last year.

"But Allen’s statement — rare because it included public comment on specifics of contract negotiations — was somewhat misleading. That initial guarantee included the $24 million the team had already committed to Cousins for 2017, so the additional guarantee was just $29 million — far less than what Cousins likely will be able to get by waiting until 2018."

Basically, it's the same issue kirk cousins was going through, except even worse.

Let us look at this as if you are a kid in the neighborhood mowing lawns:

-In april, you agreed to mow Neighbor A's lawn in May for $150

-Neighbor A wants you to mow his lawn this year from May-September (may, june, july, august, sept)

-You tell him you charge $140/month, and you are willing to commit to the whole summer, but you want a guarantee of 3 months (may, june, and july) prior to the agreement, because you have other neighbors who want you to work for them as well, but they might find other lawnmowers in the meantime by that time (for a total of $700)

-Neighbor A returns with an offer of May-September, for $650, with $100 up front, but no guarantee past May.

That means you would be agreeing to $100 up front, with a potential for $700, but you might get the boot after 1 month.

Neighbor A would have then got his lawn mowed for $100 in May (instead of the initial $150 you agreed on) and can then skip out on the rest, leaving you with only $100 and no lawn to mow.

You decide to take the $150 up front for May, and play the odds that you can get somebody else's lawn to mow for June-September.

This is what Bell is looking to do, take the $14.5 this year and test the waters, instead of take the $10 guaranteed, and leaving all the power in the Steelers' hands.

Could it backfire?

Sure.

He could turn around, get a career ending injury, and "only" walk away with $14.5 mil.

Guess what?

If he took the Steelers' offer, had a career ending injury this year, he'd only get $10 mil.

So he's basically taking 45% more guaranteed $$, then betting on himself for the future.

4 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

He should just sign the contract and then tell him he has Planters Fakeitis.

As I said, the contract only guarantees $10 mil.

If he takes the franchise it is $14.5 mil.

• Like (+1) 1

Steelers had zero intention of any real long term commitment to Bell.  I think his agent should have figured this out by now and tried to find the Steelers a trade partner that was willing to make that sort of  commitment.  Perhaps he did and there is no such partner. Not sure how many teams want to pay out a ton of guaranteed money to a rb who has had that many touches already.   His team mates getting involved is BS  Keep the business separate.  I'll be shocked if he doesnt sign the tender soon

Rappaport is saying it's $33M GTD over first 2 years, which sounds more inline with that contract. They could walk away from him after 2yrs $33M or 3yrs $45M, so that's probably the max for that deal.

It's a wise move by the Steelers, getting large amounts of money tied up into RB's when they approach 30 is not a winning proposition. 

1 hour ago, SouthNYfan said:

With only $10 mil guaranteed.

Not exactly.

Feel free to look at the details of the contract they offered him.

Exactly.

I don't sympathize with owners who make billions who are nickel and diming their best player either.

The deal the offered him was 5 years, $70 million.

It had $10 million in guaranteed money.

Gurley was signed to a 4 year $60 mil extension with $45 guaranteed.

Bell was offered a 5 year $70 mil deal, but the only guaranteed was $10 mil signing bonus.

Franchise tag this year would be $14.5 guaranteed for him 1 year.

Contract was designed to be able to terminate after this year if the Steelers wanted, with minimal cap implications.

Why would he sign a contract like that?

They could run him into the ground for 400+ carries, pay him $10 mil, then kick him to the curb.

or

He could take $14.5 mil this year on franchise, and then see where that leads him.

I'd go with option B every day.

It wasn't a huge guaranteed amount.

It was $10 mil guaranteed, that is all from what I read.

He would get $14.5 on the franchise guaranteed, then test FA himself.

The money they offered him was all smoke and mirrors, it was not guaranteed.

His deal was less guaranteed than mccoy got.

...and you know they would kick him to the curb, and do you know what the overall reaction would be?

oh well, that's the game.

I am honestly the last of the bleeding hearts and I don't even like Bell, but it surprises the hell out of me how much I am in his corner on this one.

They were F'ing around with him for two years, but now like a good little soldier he has to show up because it's time to get "serious".

I don't blame him one bit for giving them the middle finger until the very last moment.

• Like (+1) 1

Is this the 2018 version of the bickering Bills?  The Steelers have been one of the most talented teams in the league the last few years but also have the most drama surrounding their locker room I've seen in the NFL in a long time.  Must be agonizing to be a Steeler's fan right now knowing you have the talent to win a Super Bowl but these guys just can't co-exist as a unit(I'm enjoying every minute of it:flirt:)

11 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

Is this the 2018 version of the bickering Bills?  The Steelers have been one of the most talented teams in the league the last few years but also have the most drama surrounding their locker room I've seen in the NFL in a long time.  Must be agonizing to be a Steeler's fan right now knowing you have the talent to win a Super Bowl but these guys just can't co-exist as a unit(I'm enjoying every minute of it:flirt:)

Tomlin seems to let the guys do whatever sort of like Rex

1 hour ago, RyanC883 said:

Mentioned yesterday the #Steelers final offer to RB Le’Veon Bell was 5 years, $70M. More context today: The fully guaranteed part was his signing bonus of just over $10M. He would’ve made $33M over the 1st two years — in a rolling guaranteed structure. $45M over the 1st 3 years.

looks like your right.  

in any event, cry me a freaking river.  The guy plays football.    He told his teammates he would show-up for the regular season and didn't.  Who is disrespecting who now?   The guys blocking for him make less.  Can't wait till Connor lights it up.  I don't even think Bell is as talented as Gurley, Kamara, Johnson, or McCoy, FFYIW.  He runs behind a great line and waits for holes to open with his delay step.  That won't work everywhere.  

Prediction:  Connor racks up 130 yards on Sunday and Bell comes slinking into practice Monday morning.  RBs are eminently replaceable, especially on a team like Pittsburgh.

3 hours ago, Idandria said:

Pay the man. At the end of the day it’s a business, so you better make as much money as you can. 

They tried to pay him.  There is a process that he accepted in the collective bargaining agreement that lays out how it goes for a vet at the end of his contract.  He now refuses to accept those terms.  

He wants a massive contract, they don't want to give him one.  They will offer him at least 14.5 million for this year.  He turned it down.  He had zero trade value.  No other team would take a vet without a long term contract in place--especially one like Bell who would hold out anyway.

Bell has no leverage.  His worst case scenario is that they win without him.  Then he's worthless.

Nice to see NFL players will turn on a guy like this every now and then.

8 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

This is why the players will never successfully invert the CBA dynamics in their favor - they will turn on each other when the going gets tough.

The going isn't getting tough for the other Steelers, nor is it for Bell.  Plenty of top players got paid this month.  Bell isn't going to get paid what he wants by anyone.  The market speaks.  This is how it always works.  

This is a totally appropriate response to this guy's behavior by his teammates.

2 hours ago, QCity said:

Rappaport is saying it's $33M GTD over first 2 years, which sounds more inline with that contract. They could walk away from him after 2yrs $33M or 3yrs $45M, so that's probably the max for that deal.

It's a wise move by the Steelers, getting large amounts of money tied up into RB's when they approach 30 is not a winning proposition. 

Bell turned 26 in February.

10 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Yup!

:clap:

x2