LeVeon Bell’s teammates turning on him (update: still not back)

YoloinOhio

11 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

It's interesting to see both sides of the coin come out. At the beginning of his holdout/negotiations, I'm sure he had his teammates behind him hoping that he'd get paid. And now that he's decided to no-show, it seems to have sent a poor message to the team that he doesn't give a sh*t about his teammates. But, you'd think his teammates would have figured out by now that Bell is more than likely a dude who plays ball because he's good at it and knows he can get paid. Deep down, I doubt very much that wins and championships mean a whole lot to him. 

I think his teammates are in the wrong to be honest. Bell's put out plenty for that team. Now he wants happily-ever-after money and they're going to hold that against him? 

This is exhibit A of why NFL players deserve to get screwed by the owners. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewDayBills said:

And what happens when he shows up and tears an ACL? Kiss that 100 million goodbye.

Worst case, it's a career-ending injury and he only gets $14M+. Jeez, he may have to bag groceries to make ends meet.

• Like (+1) 1

I can see both points to an extent. 

This is likely Bell's biggest chance for a payday. The work rate they give him..lets just say he won't likely be as physically able to do the things he does now in 4 years. Gotta get all you can because the NFL is just 1 play away from being over at any time. Ask Kevin Everett.

However from a teammates point of view, his holdout may be costing them money. Costing them opportunities. These are the guys that open the holes and help make you look good, and they ain't happy. You already look at the contract that Gurley got in LA and figure Bell will top the 60 million and 45 in guarantees that he got. I think Bell wants to shatter those marks.

17 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Worst case, it's a career-ending injury and he only gets $14M+. Jeez, he may have to bag groceries to make ends meet.

LOL. It's always silly trying to understand these NFL money issues. 

Joe Fan isn't going to sympathize with players whining about making $14 million instead of $17. 

Edited by TheElectricCompany
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, timekills17 said:

Exactly. $14 million this year. For a running back. Granted, a running back that catches as well as most and better than some receivers but still.

Why do people think they have to defend players when even their own teammates don't think he should be holding out?

To quote the generally diplomatic Steeler OL Foster: ""He’s making seven times what I make, twice as much as [LT] Al [Villanueva] is making and we’re the guys who do it for him."

21 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

I can see both points to an extent. 

This is likely Bell's biggest chance for a payday. The work rate they give him..lets just say he won't likely be as physically able to do the things he does now in 4 years. Gotta get all you can because the NFL is just 1 play away from being over at any time. Ask Kevin Everett.

However from a teammates point of view, his holdout may be costing them money. Costing them opportunities. These are the guys that open the holes and help make you look good, and they ain't happy. You already look at the contract that Gurley got in LA and figure Bell will top the 60 million and 45 in guarantees that he got. I think Bell wants to shatter those marks.

But the Steelers offered Bell a TON of money.   Bell wants to be paid like the top WR and RB.  No one here in Pittsburgh even wants him around.  

33 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

exactly.  And this is the same with all non-guaranteed NFL contracts.   He could sign a long-term deal that paid him $14 annually and had a huge guaranteed amount.  

41 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I think his teammates are in the wrong to be honest. Bell's put out plenty for that team. Now he wants happily-ever-after money and they're going to hold that against him? 

This is exhibit A of why NFL players deserve to get screwed by the owners. 

or, the O-line is sick of listening to Bell whine about why he dosen't get paid.  Bell is great in part because the Steelers have a great O-line.  And Bell turned-down a ton of money.  He's a diva.  

Edited by RyanC883

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

I was under the impression they've been trying to pay him $70 million dollars.

With only $10 mil guaranteed.

1 hour ago, timekills17 said:

Exactly. $14 million this year. For a running back. Granted, a running back that catches as well as most and better than some receivers but still.

Why do people think they have to defend players when even their own teammates don't think he should be holding out?

Not exactly.

Feel free to look at the details of the contract they offered him.

1 hour ago, HeHateMe said:

Pitt should have traded him instead of playing around with the tag again this year..

He knows they are just going to run him into the ground another 400 carries.  

Exactly.

13 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

LOL. It's always silly trying to understand these NFL money issues. 

Joe Fan isn't going to sympathize with players whining about making $14 million instead of $17. 

I don't sympathize with owners who make billions who are nickel and diming their best player either.

The deal the offered him was 5 years, $70 million.

It had $10 million in guaranteed money.

Gurley was signed to a 4 year $60 mil extension with $45 guaranteed.

Bell was offered a 5 year $70 mil deal, but the only guaranteed was $10 mil signing bonus.

Franchise tag this year would be $14.5 guaranteed for him 1 year.

Contract was designed to be able to terminate after this year if the Steelers wanted, with minimal cap implications.

Why would he sign a contract like that?

They could run him into the ground for 400+ carries, pay him $10 mil, then kick him to the curb.

or

He could take $14.5 mil this year on franchise, and then see where that leads him.

I'd go with option B every day.

3 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

To quote the generally diplomatic Steeler OL Foster: ""He’s making seven times what I make, twice as much as [LT] Al [Villanueva] is making and we’re the guys who do it for him."

But the Steelers offered Bell a TON of money.   Bell wants to be paid like the top WR and RB.  No one here in Pittsburgh even wants him around.  

exactly.  And this is the same with all non-guaranteed NFL contracts.   He could sign a long-term deal that paid him $14 annually and had a huge guaranteed amount.  

or, the O-line is sick of listening to Bell whine about why he dosen't get paid.  Bell is great in part because the Steelers have a great O-line.  And Bell turned-down a ton of money.  He's a diva.  

It wasn't a huge guaranteed amount.

It was $10 mil guaranteed, that is all from what I read.

He would get $14.5 on the franchise guaranteed, then test FA himself.

The money they offered him was all smoke and mirrors, it was not guaranteed.

His deal was less guaranteed than mccoy got.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

In 2015 the Steelers had DeAngelo Williams who rushed for like 1,000 and had a bunch of TD's who came in for Bell.

I don't think Ridley can make up that kind of production this year.

James Connor, A. Brown, JuJu Smith, J. Washington, two decent TE's, and rookie RB Samuels.  They will put up points w/o Bell.  Oh, forgot about Big Ben, and a great OL.

3 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

With only $10 mil guaranteed.

Not exactly.

Feel free to look at the details of the contract they offered him.

Exactly.

I don't sympathize with owners who make billions who are nickel and diming their best player either.

The deal the offered him was 5 years, $70 million.

It had $10 million in guaranteed money.

Gurley was signed to a 4 year $60 mil extension with $45 guaranteed.

Bell was offered a 5 year $70 mil deal, but the only guaranteed was $10 mil signing bonus.

Franchise tag this year would be $14.5 guaranteed for him 1 year.

Contract was designed to be able to terminate after this year if the Steelers wanted, with minimal cap implications.

Why would he sign a contract like that?

They could run him into the ground for 400+ carries, pay him $10 mil, then kick him to the curb.

or

He could take $14.5 mil this year on franchise, and then see where that leads him.

I'd go with option B every day.

It wasn't a huge guaranteed amount.

It was $10 mil guaranteed, that is all from what I read.

He would get $14.5 on the franchise guaranteed, then test FA himself.

The money they offered him was all smoke and mirrors, it was not guaranteed.

His deal was less guaranteed than mccoy got.

Mentioned yesterday the #Steelers final offer to RB Le’Veon Bell was 5 years, $70M. More context today: The fully guaranteed part was his signing bonus of just over $10M. He would’ve made $33M over the 1st two years — in a rolling guaranteed structure. $45M over the 1st 3 years.

looks like your right.  

in any event, cry me a freaking river.  The guy plays football.    He told his teammates he would show-up for the regular season and didn't.  Who is disrespecting who now?   The guys blocking for him make less.  Can't wait till Connor lights it up.  I don't even think Bell is as talented as Gurley, Kamara, Johnson, or McCoy, FFYIW.  He runs behind a great line and waits for holes to open with his delay step.  That won't work everywhere.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Geo in Pa said:

I've been in Pittsburgh 19 years, you got that right. They ran Bradshaw out of town because he had the audacity to get old and he won 4 super bowls. Kelly lost 4 and he would be elected mayor. ..they suck 

Moon Township, nice!!   Steelers fans are crazy.  I love how a recent Tribune-Review poll had Tomlin as the worst head coach in town---ahead of Hurdle.  hahaha.   Spoiled.  

6 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Nah. He's play a position with the shortest average NFL career and wants big guaranteed $$$. Trying to get everything you can is the nature of the business. The team does it and the players should do it right back with zero static. Especially from your fellow union members.

And LOLx2 at the offensive line for being the ones speaking out. As if Pouncey and DeCastro haven't made over $10M more over their careers than Bell. GTFO.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HeHateMe said:

Pitt should have traded him instead of playing around with the tag again this year..

He knows they are just going to run him into the ground another 400 carries.  

Totally agree.  How did they not know Bell would act like this/respond like this.  Could have traded him for a ransom in the off-season.  Now, less likely unless a RB needy team has its starter go down and is willing to pay Bell.  (Giants, etc.).  

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

Nah. He's play a position with the shortest average NFL career and wants big guaranteed $$$. Trying to get everything you can is the nature of the business. The team does it and the players should do it right back with zero static. Especially from your fellow union members.

And LOLx2 at the offensive line for being the ones speaking out. As if Pouncey and DeCastro haven't made over $10M more over their careers than Bell. GTFO.

I guarantee you Bell makes more from being an NFL player than Pouncy and DeCastro and Foster.  Endorsement deals for a top athlete.  And the fact that Bell reigned on his word that he would show-up for the regular season and refuses to tell the team his plans.  That is what is REALLY bothering them.  

15 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I guarantee you Bell makes more from being an NFL player than Pouncy and DeCastro and Foster.  Endorsement deals for a top athlete.  And the fact that Bell reigned on his word that he would show-up for the regular season and refuses to tell the team his plans.  That is what is REALLY bothering them.  

Who are they to tell him not to get every dollar he can? They aren't playing for free. What they ARE doing is being terrible members of a union that needs all the solidarity it can get among its constituency.

And it's all over a bwoken pwomise? How sad.

***EDIT- Not trying to be confrontational with you. Just reread what I said and it comes off a little harsh. I'm just always siding with labor over management.

Edited by GoBills808

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

steelers OL is going to ball out for Conner

Which is kinda cool 

:  )

interesting quotes these guys seem kinda unified which is what you want from your O line

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think about it at least 2.5 times a week.

seems like random number. I suggest you are lying. Not 2.4 nor 2.6 eh ?
admit i have found you out !

16 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

James Connor, A. Brown, JuJu Smith, J. Washington, two decent TE's, and rookie RB Samuels.  They will put up points w/o Bell.  Oh, forgot about Big Ben, and a great OL.

If Pittsburg is not going to miss Bells 400 touches then they are foolish for not having traded him already.

Either way I hate that team and their fans.  LOL