LeVeon Bell’s teammates turning on him (update: still not back)

YoloinOhio

37 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

He has too many miles on him for that kind of money.  he's just not going to get that elsewhere.  Once he's a free agent, no team will have to make him that kind of offer.

27 minutes ago, Avisan said:

Dude's 26, he's got plenty left in the tank, especially because he's not letting the Steelers grind him into the dirt this season.

Exactly.

he's played 62 career games.

81 including playoffs.

He's 26 years old.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 9/5/2018 at 5:39 PM, GoBills808 said:

I think his teammates are in the wrong to be honest. Bell's put out plenty for that team. Now he wants happily-ever-after money and they're going to hold that against him? 

This is exhibit A of why NFL players deserve to get screwed by the owners. 

I think his teammates wanted to at least hear from him either way, like, are you gonna join us or not? I think they assumed that he'd end his holdout based on some things that were said but that's not the case.

I'm all for players maximizing their value and getting paid, but in this instance, I can see why the Steelers are hesitant to meet his demands. I mean, they've already offered to make him the highest paid back in football but he turned that down. But he's also a guy who's missed significant time due to injuries and suspensions. As they say, the best ability is availability and  they have a right to be concerned about his reliability before giving him huge guaranteed money. 

On 9/6/2018 at 6:56 AM, Ol Dirty B said:

People get fixated about 14.5 million, but if you're worth 45, why would you take that? The 12 he banked last year is even less incentive to take the 14.5 if you feel it is under market value. No one likes to be underpaid or embraces that feeling. In terms of what he does, yea 14.5 is way more than a football player is worth. However, in terms of capitalism it isn't. 

He's not on the market. He can only be offered what the Steelers give him. The market has had no say on these negotiations. 

Why do you persist in regurgitating this concept, that If you're "worth 2x or 3x would you take x?"

First  - there IS a difference between taking $20/hr verse $60/hr and taking $14 MILLION vs $29 million, To act like they're both the same discussion is akin to the "if your friend jumped off a bridge would you?" or "That's what the Nazis said too" arguments. This is the real world we live in, where amounts do impact the relevance and outcome of a discussion.

I can tell you I'm worth a lot more to my employer than the $150K or so I earn. But guess what. I signed a CONTRACT. I can't even get out of mine without going to jail. And yeah - I've been offered about three times my current salary to work for other companies, but they're not guaranteed. The company could fail, or might not make their bid. So I chose the lesser, but safer salary. JUST LIKE HE COULD.

He's an entertainer. He can walk if he wants to, but to say the team/owner/whomever should pay up - that's BS. 

On 9/6/2018 at 1:22 AM, SouthNYfan said:

On 9/5/2018 at 11:37 PM, timekills17 said:

Exactly. $14 million this year. For a running back. Granted, a running back that catches as well as most and better than some receivers but still.

Why do people think they have to defend players when even their own teammates don't think he should be holding out?

Not exactly.

Feel free to look at the details of the contract they offered him.

They could run him into the ground for 400+ carries, pay him $10 mil, then kick him to the curb.

or

He could take $14.5 mil this year on franchise, and then see where that leads him.

I'd go with option B every day.

You're telling me I'm wrong about the $14 million, and then telling me I'm right.

I do "feel free" to look at the details as much as anyone in the public. What has been publicly released (whether accurate or not) is ~$14 Million from the tag this year,

That's guaranteed. That's how it works.

Feel free to look at the details of the NFL tag requirements.

Edited by timekills17

1 hour ago, timekills17 said:

Why do you persist in regurgitating this concept, that If you're "worth 2x or 3x would you take x?"

First  - there IS a difference between taking $20/hr verse $60/hr and taking $14 MILLION vs $29 million, To act like they're both the same discussion is akin to the "if your friend jumped off a bridge would you?" or "That's what the Nazis said too" arguments. This is the real world we live in, where amounts do impact the relevance and outcome of a discussion.

I can tell you I'm worth a lot more to my employer than the $150K or so I earn. But guess what. I signed a CONTRACT. I can't even get out of mine without going to jail. And yeah - I've been offered about three times my current salary to work for other companies, but they're not guaranteed. The company could fail, or might not make their bid. So I chose the lesser, but safer salary. JUST LIKE HE COULD.

He's an entertainer. He can walk if he wants to, but to say the team/owner/whomever should pay up - that's BS. 

You're telling me I'm wrong about the $14 million, and then telling me I'm right.

I do "feel free" to look at the details as much as anyone in the public. What has been publicly released (whether accurate or not) is ~$14 Million from the tag this year,

You said "exactly" in response to the Steelers trying to pay him $70 million.

That is what you were wrong about.

The Steelers were trying to pay him $10 million with up to 70 over 5 years.

Big difference.

I never told you that you were right.

I'm not sure why you are telling me to look up the franchise tag, I know how it works.

18 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

Can't the steelers rescind the offer at any time though?

Sure they can, but they won't, because Bell then becomes an unrestricted free agent.  They will get NOTHING for him or from him.  The Squeelers made their bed, they can sleep in it.  They tried to Kirk Cousins him, but Bell is giving them the fangoo.  Good for Bell.

1 hour ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Sure they can, but they won't, because Bell then becomes an unrestricted free agent.  They will get NOTHING for him or from him.  The Squeelers made their bed, they can sleep in it.  They tried to Kirk Cousins him, but Bell is giving them the fangoo.  Good for Bell.

He can't play in 2019 if they rescind it I believe, or is that only if he doesn't sign it?

(btw I'm with you, good for Bell)

4 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

He can't play in 2019 if they rescind it I believe, or is that only if he doesn't sign it?

(btw I'm with you, good for Bell)

No, if they rescind it, he immediately becomes an unrestricted free agent, free to sign for and play for any other team.  If he never signs the franchise tender, then the franchise tag applies for 2019.  If he's on the roster for 6 weeks, he accrues a season, and will once again be a free agent in 2019, which is why he will likely not report until week 10.  Might the Steelers tag him yet again in 2019?  Sure, but then they can expect him to show up in week 10 yet again.  I don't think you'll see the franchise tag in the next CBA.  I foresee a lockout.  

• Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

No, if they rescind it, he immediately becomes an unrestricted free agent, free to sign for and play for any other team.  If he never signs the franchise tender, then the franchise tag applies for 2019.  If he's on the roster for 6 weeks, he accrues a season, and will once again be a free agent in 2019, which is why he will likely not report until week 10.  Might the Steelers tag him yet again in 2019?  Sure, but then they can expect him to show up in week 10 yet again.  I don't think you'll see the franchise tag in the next CBA.  I foresee a lockout.  

Okay thanks dude.

Yeah franchise tag was initially designed to help a player get paid for a season, while they continue to work out a contract, with the intent of either keeping them long term, or being able to trade them (such as peerless price).

Teams figured out ways to abuse this, so i'm sure they are going to rework it next CBA.

On 9/5/2018 at 6:03 PM, 26CornerBlitz said:

Nope! Contract status would not prevent him from being randomly tested. 

We need to let him know this information

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Game recognize game, AND POUNCEY LOOKING UNFAMILIAR. Take notes other Steelers

11 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

They've been grinding him into the dirt for  years. 

He's a finesse runner, very good at deking even when going down, I rarely see him get banged around. He's not Demarco Murray running like a madman

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks
  • Like (+1) 1

This will be the end of the Steeler  " Dynasty ? " It is not the Rooney way. to get some players to come out against  others. You can bet  that  a shill  got to talking with gullible players  and these players then decided that is what they believe. The old man must be turning over in his grave.

5 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Wow, did not know those jerks were the NFLPA union reps.  They should have known better, instead of running their mouths.  Clearly they're too stupid to realize they're running down their own position.  They should resign and have new reps appointed. 

Actually they know they aren't doing that at all.

Because they aren't.  The CBA is what it is.  They want Bell to show up like the other 52 have (and almost all making far less--no new "union rep", or CBA will ever change that.

They might wish they had the luxury of sitting out to protect their health until the next big contract comes.  But they can't afford that.  

25 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Actually they know they aren't doing that at all.

Because they aren't.  The CBA is what it is.  They want Bell to show up like the other 52 have (and almost all making far less--no new "union rep", or CBA will ever change that.

They might wish they had the luxury of sitting out to protect their health until the next big contract comes.  But they can't afford that.  

They're union reps who should ALWAYS be on the side of the player, right or wrong.  But in this case, Bell is absolutely right to only do the minimum under the franchise tag.

Edited by Freddie's Dead

13 hours ago, timekills17 said:

The fact that you're comparing yourself to a football player shows me you are already in over your head. We all make less than what we bring to the table, otherwise every business would be losing money.

I mean you just rambled on there with a whole lot of non sense that I never said.

But in the end, the point is the same. How could I justify hating on, or why would I hate on a guy who has a limited window in terms of earning potential trying to maximize that? You throw out all this **** like you understand the !@#$ing point, but clearly you don't. 

I almost feel insulted by your response. What a joke. 

On 9/6/2018 at 8:15 AM, Mr. WEO said:

His current team is his market, just as has been true for any other player who has successfully accepted the conditions of the franchise tag and CBA. They have determined his value based on what he brings and what other RBs are getting from other teams.

Why would he take the 14.5 million?  Because that's what he has agreed to do in the Franchise tag era/CBA.  It's what they have all agreed to.  It's obvious what the player thinks he's worth is meaningless.  Every player in the NFL would think he's worth more  than he's paid.  So what?

I can't agree with this at all, however, I do think you're right if that makes any sense. The Steelers are an example of why the league will never have a meaningful strike, guaranteed contracts or get rid of this franchise tag bull ****. They all turn on each other, and quickly.

Edited by Ol Dirty B