Our Problem... Josh Allen Can't Win

Midwest1981

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

It's a tough spot for him to be in, for sure. He just needs to block out the noise. None of it matters. It's reactionary.

If Josh works hard and does well, the noise will sound like a symphony again.

Even if the team sucks, Josh can still come out a winner. He just needs to prove it on the field.

Good post and I am hopeful that Josh can block out that noise and sink or swim on his own merits, not because of some self-fulfilling prophecy because Jalen Ramsey, the doubting media, most of the rest of the NFL, and "draft twitter" shook his self-confidence.

Now we have to put the team around him, let's start with blockers, to make sure that doesn't rattle his confidence either.

The Bills did plenty in the offseason to improve.  They signed 2 veteran OL (Bodine and the other guy), drafted Wyatt Teller, drafted Edmunds and H Phillips and signed Star and Trent.  It's not like they just sat there on their hands.

They decided that Josh is their guy, and did what was necessary to get him on the team.  And I think he looked pretty damn good in the preseason (except the massacre v. Cincinnati).  Peterman looked great in preseason.  Last year is gone, as is the offensive coordinator.   Daboll has designed an offense around the strengths we have.  There will be a lot of running, and there will be a good passing game. 

I just listed to a St. Louis sports guy trash the team, and especially Josh Allen.  He called him a disaster.  What he fails to know is that our guys drafted him on purpose.  They set up the draft in order to get the Franchise Quarterback of their choice.  And they got him.  His name is Josh Allen.  

1 hour ago, Midwest1981 said:

... and not in the way you think.  In fact, it may have very little to do with him.  But it's his situation- THIS situation- that makes it inherently difficult for him, as well as the Bills.  Let me explain.  First of all, what I was afraid would happen if Peterman won the job HAS happened.  Not just "Joe" (largely informed) "Fan" but also the media- Colin Cowherd each of the last two days has corroborated this, to cite but one example- are snickering at Peterman starting because of the "five picks in one half" performance he may never live down.  And Peterman beating out Allen naturally leads to more snickers, "Wow, if Josh Allen can't even beat out Nathan Peterman"... Josh Allen can't win from the perspective that it was widely acknowledged leading up to the draft, even among Allen supporters, that he required patience.  But then when he's granted that patience it's not because he's not ready as much as it's perceived he'll never be ready, if he can't beat up the "abominable" likes of Nathan Peterman.

That's just one problem.

The other problem is... this is the NFL in 2018.  How patient are Bills fans- and the Bills themselves- willing to be?  I'm absolutely willing to be patient; Allen has demonstrated enough to make me believe that he isn't the fundamentally lost cause many summarily dismissed him as pre-draft... but the Bills' surrounding cast, skill position "weaponry" and especially our offensive line, has also demonstrated enough that they could really threaten to undo any of the progress Allen has made and have him running for his life, locking onto targets, suffering mechanically, and even suffering serious injury (we were all lucky he remained unscathed from preseason's week #3) if he's out there playing any time soon.

I understand that trading up for Allen/Edmunds cost of 5 of our top-65 picks.  But it was still inexcusable to do so little with our remaining draft capital- not until deep in day #3- to provide some offensive help for the highest QB we've ever taken.  Yes, I know that will be addressed in time, specifically next offseason.  But QB's don't get the same time now that they used to.

Yes, I'm willing to be patient.  But in the new CBA (signed 7 years ago)... QB's are MUCH easier to move on from than before- the financial commitment/entanglement is just no longer there.  We didn't sign Allen to a 6-year, $78 million dollar deal with $50 million guaranteed like Sam Bradford did in 2010 (or Stafford the year before... or Alex Smith four years before, who lasted 8 years in San Francisco despite atrocious early career play).  Remember the outcry by many when Doug Marrone benched E.J. Manuel after week #4 of just his sophomore season?  "You don't- you CAN'T- bench a QB after just 15-20 starts!?  He needs at least 30."  Well, we did, and other than a week 17 game in 2016 to spite Tyrod and the recently fired Rex Manuel never started another game.  

Just two years ago the Broncos traded up in the 1st-round to draft Paxton Lynch.  Well, a mere four starts later- those four starts were evidently enough- and he's not only not starting; he isn't even on Denver's roster.  There's also some consensus that 2016 #1 overall pick Jared Goff was another really bad year in 2017- if it resembled 2016- from quite possibly the Rams looking for the next guy.

I'm not saying that any of this is right- I'm just saying that it 'is,' at least how other teams have operated recently, given that the CBA allows teams to extricate out of lesser high 1st-round contracts and given irrationally impatient owners & fanbases.  I'm willing to give Allen the time he needs but Buffalo must be, too.  And unfortunately we don't have an Alex Smith having his best statistical season and leading the Chiefs to a divisional title to obscure that our rookie is sitting.  Instead we have Nathan Peterman and the jokes that follow.

You are tying yourself into knots for no reason whatsoever. Take a deep breath. 

• Haha (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

I grew too fatigued to continue reading the OP's rant, so I decided to be part of the thread to simply increase my post count....and I still don't think that is as pointless as this thread.

I hear ya. We could all use to be as lucky as you. With my upvote on ur post, you now have 2 likes. How's that for a pointless thread? :P

Edited by brianthomas
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Tatonka68 said:

Learning from the bench in an oxymoron. An idiotic neanderthal idea. Learn something by not doing it. How does that actually make sense to people? Allen played with a bad offensive line and bad receivers in Wyoming nothing new here. 

Seriously?    So all the work the team does on the practice fields and in the meeting rooms is meaningless?

In the old days of track & field, there was a theory that the only way to improve at something was to do it repetitively.  So high jumpers who subscribed to this idea would do nothing but high jump and sprinters would do nothing but sprint.  Forget lifting weights or stretching!  That view is the neanderthal view.  

Nowadays athletes use a number of different training methods to train for an event.  Allen admits that he doesn't read defenses fast enough.  He doesn't need to play on Sundays to learn how to recognize a Tampa 2, for example.  Film study & practice will help that kid a lot. 

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, TC in St. Louis said:

They set up the draft in order to get the Franchise Quarterback of their choice.  And they got him.  His name is Josh Allen.  

i see this the "Franchise QB" used in relation to Josh frequently here.

all this time I thought a "Franchise QB" had to prove it on the field with 300 yard games, 4 TD games, and masterful comebacks. Had the bar been lowered? Now just a high first puts you there?  Is Bernie T a "Franchise QB"? Marcus Marriota? Josh Rosen? Winston?

I just hope you're not jinxing him.

Learning from the bench in an oxymoron. An idiotic neanderthal idea. Learn something by not doing it. How does that actually make sense to people? Allen played with a bad offensive line and bad receivers in Wyoming nothing new here. 

It's called 'Practice.' 

If you think all the coaching, videos, deciphering defenses, running the scout team, etc. don't help, well, sorry. But OF COURSE he'd learn 5x as fast actually playing. 

What's funny is that this was a run first-team last year that decided to try zone blocking for the first part of the year and that failed. Then had the backup QB in Peterman start against the Chargers. We all saw how that went in the first half so they went back to Taylor who was able to avoid the rush better than Peterman and survive the game. 

The offensive line was bad last year and that was with pro bowlers at C, LG and those two O linemen who were pro bowlers on last year team are no longer on the team. (Woods, Incognito)

Now fast forward to 2018 and the team wants to be a pass first team with Peterman starting against the team that was #1 in the NFL last year in defensive takeaways with +17. Now this year there is no Tyrod Taylor to fall back on and only a rookie who is not ready to start. Just to refresh some memory Taylor only had 4 INT's all of 2017 and Peterman..well we know.

Things could get very ugly, very fast in Baltimore week one and go downhill from there... The first overall pick in the 2019 draft might not actually be the plan this year but it could be the result.

2 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

What's funny is that this was a run first-team last year that decided to try zone blocking for the first part of the year and that failed. Then had the backup QB in Peterman start against the Chargers. We all saw how that went in the first half so they went back to Taylor who was able to avoid the rush better than Peterman and survive the game. 

The offensive line was bad last year and that was with pro bowlers at C, LG and those two O linemen who were pro bowlers on last year team are no longer on the team. (Woods, Incognito)

Now fast forward to 2018 and the team wants to be a pass first team with Peterman starting against the team that was #1 in the NFL last year in defensive takeaways with +17. Now this year there is no Tyrod Taylor to fall back on and only a rookie who is not ready to start. Just to refresh some memory Taylor only had 4 INT's all of 2017 and Peterman..well we know.

Things could get very ugly, very fast in Baltimore week one and go downhill from there... The first overall pick in the 2019 draft might not actually be the plan this year but it could be the result.

Whatever happens in Baltimore it will be one game out of 16...

Its hard to imagine it could be worse than the San Diego or New Orleans games last year... Man that was ugly..

1 hour ago, Augie said:

The Bills don’t care what Cowherd or anyone else is saying. I think they have all the patience they need, and maybe the OP needs some trust to go with the professed patience. 

Exactly why Peterman is starting. Next year the trenches will be reinforced and the Oline will be a huge emphasis to build around Allen.

Just now, billsfan_34 said:

Exactly why Peterman is starting. Next year the trenches will be reinforced and the Oline will be a huge emphasis to build around Allen.

Even a few weeks from now we’ll have a clue what we’re dealing with. Right now, it’s still a mystery what we’ll have when we play for keeps. I’m sure it will be less than desired, but let Nate get the ball out quickly,  then see where it goes from there. Next season is the OLine season (FA and draft) like this year was the Franchise QB year, I suspect.