Do you remember Baby Rock?

rockpile

2 hours ago, teef said:

everytime i complain how my life is going, i just have to remember some families have it much harder than mine.  these pictures are hard to look at.  god i hope everything goes ok.

You got that right! My daughter and son-in-law are my heroes. They deal with this 24 x 7 and do not complain.

She gave up her career to care for him and son-in-law now has two jobs.

This makes my MS seem like a cake walk!

p.s made it through his lumbar puncture today!

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, child and indoor

Edited by rockpile

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/25/2019 at 4:04 PM, Doc said:

Great to hear Rock.

It is a long road, but he is moving forward. I HATE being six hours away. 

Luckily Cheeky has wonderful parents and very good support from church, friends and family.

• Like (+1) 1

• 1 month later...

Sometimes the cure is worse than the disease. "Cheeky" has been under sedation for a couple weeks, fighting fighting ALL Leukemia with chemo cocktails, transfusions, and other various side effect maladies such as liver swelling, fluids filling his abdomen, kidneys barely working, and the "corona" virus. His doctors say "he has turned the corner", but of course that can change any time. We are thankful the downward swing is stopped for now.

He is slowly being brought out of sedation, so know he is also fighting prescription drug withdrawal 

If you want, you can follow his story here: Cheeky's Battle or on FB at "Team Naaman".

Please say a prayer for my grandson and his family.

Naaman Hospital Visit March 29th

Edited by rockpile

What a tough little guy. Sending prayers for continued improvement. Good friends of ours battled cancer with their then 2 year old. He just had his 5th birthday and you’d never in a million years know he was once sick. There is light at the end of the tunnel, even if it’s hard to see it sometimes. 

• Like (+1) 1

We are going up to see him, but if he's still in Pediatric ICU (PICU), we won't actually "see" him.

We are helping our daughter and son-in-law and spending time with Cheeky's big sister.  

It is hard to help from six hours away!

Everyone is projecting those positive vibes, and his PARENTS ARE MY HEROES for focusing on only good things.

The power of prayer is underestimated.

Edited by rockpile

Cheeky is still in PICU, but is no longer in critical condition. He cannot talk but he pantomimed he wanted his Captain America mask on. 

I now there are ups and downs, but I will still celebrate the good news.

He will still have to stay in the hospital, perhaps for months.

"Cheeky"

2019 cheeky capt america.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

Update: After a few weeks under sedation, "Cheeky" is slowly waking up. He is out of PICU and just starting to eat a little (apple sauce and yogurt - soft foods)  Once he can keep food down and his liver is healthy again I will feel better.  He is talking a little, but is still pretty "out of it". 

It is a merry-go-round because it will take 6-8 weeks to make him strong again so they return to chemo to keep fighting the cancer. It is an odd thought that the goal is to make him well so they can poison him again. It is the only way to kill all the cancer! 

Everyone is staying positive. Prayers are requested. You can follow his story on FB, by searching for "Team Naaman".

God Bless!

Rockpile

Image may contain: one or more people, people sleeping and baby

Edited by rockpile
add photo
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

We went up for the weekend to CT, and spent a lot of time with "Cheeky" at the Smilow Cancer Hospital in New Haven. He has become more responsive and interactive, but his condition still varies day to day. We spent as much time with him and his sister, "Deanie" to try to give my daughter and son-in-law a bit of a break. 

When he first saw me in my Avengers t-shirt, he perked up and started pointing at the heroes, especially the Hulk. He is eating a little but still is wired and tubed up. We were able to have him placed in a wagon and we walked through the open air wellness garden. 

There is little we can do from six hours away, but we do what we can.

After Dad took over at the hospital, we got to spend some time with my daughter, had our granddaughter do a sleepover at the hotel, took her to an egg hunt, and went to church on Palm Sunday. 

We keep praying and are thankful he is out of intensive care. It was pretty scary a few weeks ago.

1233113012_2018naamanatSmilowithnonniandpapaApril.thumb.jpg.3cd9b766f6d2ea0ab5192064ad1fef9b.jpg  

2018 nadine with nonnie and papa at New Life Church.jpg

• Like (+1) 3