How much of the bad preseason play was strategic?

A guy like Gregg Williams always plays the preseason like it is the real deal. Other coaches take it easier keeping things plain vanilla and deferring exotic packages for the regular season. I would like to believe it is the latter with McD, Daboll and Frazier.

But if so, how realistic are the results of the preseason battles - at QB, WR, OL etc.?

I think the fact that Dawkins didn't play in the 3rd game and players were switching in and out of different positions indicates that they were trying to figure out a combination that worked well and wasn't really how they will look opening day.

At least that is my hope.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

A guy like Gregg Williams always plays the preseason like it is the real deal. Other coaches take it easier keeping things plain vanilla and deferring exotic packages for the regular season. I would like to believe it is the latter with McD, Daboll and Frazier.

But if so, how realistic are the results of the preseason battles - at QB, WR, OL etc.?

Realistic enough to send players packing

There was strategy involved where McD/Daboll are concerned IMO.

Edited by Figster

32 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

I think the fact that Dawkins didn't play in the 3rd game and players were switching in and out of different positions indicates that they were trying to figure out a combination that worked well and wasn't really how they will look opening day.

That's what it looked like to me.  Any NFL lineman will tell you how important chemistry is on the offensivel line.  It's very difficult to have consistent play when you're switching players in  and out of the line and switching wqhere they are playing on the line.  That said, Newhouse looked terrible at left tackle.  The chemistry issue had nothng to do with the fact that he plain couldn't handle the defensive end one on one at all.

Offense, a good chunk of it. Hell, the entire 4th game was run by a QB that was gone before the weekend ended. The only true "result" for lack of a better term, is that Allen is gonna be good, but has a lot of work.

Defense, I have zero worries about. The bad defensive play means nothing to me. They were playing vanilla schemes, with half our players on the bench, just trying not to get hurt.

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

This

Top 10 things that Marv Levy said to the Buffalo Bills at half time during Superbowl XXVIII

Number 1 was

Ok Guys, I want you to go out there and start sucking.

and by the above quote I mean to say.. Nobody strategizes bad play

Edited by ddaryl

25 minutes ago, Skins Malone said:

They just wanted their rookie QB to almost get killed behind the oline.  Just so we can surprise Baltimore with how amazing they really are.

that was my same reaction, didn't even finish the OP's post....

oh what fun it is to ride in a one-horse open slay...

Let's just put it this way.  I doubt the players as individuals wanted to go out there and look bad when they are trying to make the team or win a starting position.  And I doubt the coaches wanted the QBs getting hit hard because of bad blocking and missed assignments.  Those things happened.  Regardless of the outcome of the games or the amount of game planning going into the game no coach wants to see individuals on their team losing match-ups and missing assignments.  This team is a bit thin on talent, but coaching matters a lot in the NFL.  I'm just not sure the coaching will make up for the lack of talent on the OL (1. they don't have much talent and 2. the coaching is questionable) and I'm also concerned about the DL/LBs as well.  Going to be a tough watch some Sundays when they are just overmatched on the lines.

1 hour ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

I rewatched Peterman v Carolina yesterday. They sent 5 like twice, 4 every other time. Base cover 2 or 4 with their ones. 

Cleveland looked to throw a bunch of blitzes  and coverages with the ones and even with back ups. 

Cinci brought it with ones then vanilla-ed out

Bears game was a college all star game 

- what’s all of this mean? NFI

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood