Going to the mattresses: Josh Allen edition

Allen was the only qb I wanted out of the four. People calling him a bust when hasn't taken a regular season snap is crazy.  Fact is the talking heads decided Allen is a bust so they will stick with that.  From the tiny bit I have seen he looks better than advertised.   Better to aim for the moon and whiff than more Tyrod

Drop the race card bro. The more attention you give to it the more momentum it picks up. Just leave it alone. There's racists in every fan base lets not be naive.  

Josh Allen is a big boy. He can handle the criticism OP, you dont need to hold his hand :lol: :lol: 

Tyrod's gone, the more you trash him the more you sound like a petty ex girlfriend.

He wasnt good enough for what this regime has in mind, and his limitations on the field make it difficult to scheme for him if youre an old geaser OC like Dennison. Tyrods my bro but I think Mayfield will get to start once theyre out of playoff contention. Haley can def scheme for both of them better than Dennison could dream. Dennison needs a QB like Kirk Cousins to succeed, and even then; his run plays and player selection is trashhhh.

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If you're nuts, I'm nuts with you.  I dunno about "on purpose", but if you go back and look at the play calling in the 1st preseason game vs the 2nd-4th preseason game - it seems pretty clear to me that it was NOT a game plan designed to help a rookie QB survive behind a questionable line, and it seems pretty clear to me that Daboll has such plays up his sleeve.

I kind of felt it was intended to send a "ok, rook, you've got a lot to learn here" message.  And I agree with being positive that Allen retained his poise and didn't do dumb sh**.

It absolutely was a “come to Jesus” move that Mc D did with starting Allen. Before the bengals game, one of the sideline reporters was talking about how McD would occasionally have to tell Josh things like “at some point you will get your ass kicked” to ground him a bit. 

The bengals game wasn’t an exposure to game planning but it was an exposure to the speed of the game. There was, IMO, no plan to ever start Allen day 1 and that game was to show Josh what was what.  And I’m glad they did it. That game will do more for Allen than lighting it up against Cinci ever would have. 

And yes, it’s weird how much people hate him. Every time someone makes a rational observation someone immediately posts something in direct contrast to it. 

I just saw cowherd say Allen looked rattled and overwhelmed vs cinci.  Allen was alot of things in that game but overwhelmed and rattled was no where near what was going on. He’s not ready, but he’s got more stones and composure and talent than anyone that’s been in here in a long time . 

Edited by bobblehead
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, bobblehead said:

It absolutely was a “come to Jesus” move that Mc D did with starting Allen. Before the bengals game, one of the sideline reporters was talking about how McD would occasionally have to tell Josh things like “at some point you will get your ass kicked” to ground him a bit. 

Can you say more about this sideline reporters/McD grounding talk thing?

9 hours ago, JoeF said:

I have seen several reports, including from local beat writers, that Josh was "benched" for Nate or "lost the job".  Ridiculous in my opinion. 

He started as the third string QB with little shot to start the season and made it a tough decision.  I too am all-in on him. 

He seems like a great kid who has a wonderful work ethic.  He has been rejected before...not getting any looks especially from Fresno State where he wanted to go; he was panned through the draft process--all he has done is ignore the critics and improve not just steadily but by leaps and bounds.  

The Cincy game was a test.  I almost believe it was on purpose (I know I am nuts).  If Daboll ever, ever put Vlad and Miller one on one with Gino Atkins or Marshall Newhouse or Jordan Mills one on one with Carlos Dunlap on a real game day-- he should be fired.  I think they wanted to show Josh what real bullets looked like.  He failed, but not miserably so--He didn't throw 5 INTs for example.

I wish Nate Peterman all the success in the world.  If he shows something, the Bills have another tremendous asset.  However, Josh has skills - mobility, arm, pocket savvy, speed that Nate will never have.   Let Josh watch as long as Nate is not losing us games with turnovers or poor production...but make no mistake, Josh Allen is the future of this franchise.

The auburn kid was the real havoc maker.  He had 3 sacks.

Hated the pick when it happened.  Happy with it now.  Not sure if he’s going to be the better than Rosen, but he’s a helluva lost more exciting and he’s a fun toy.  Way more fun than the other guys.  Just hope he can learn to read the D and get rid of the ball.

10 hours ago, Tatonka68 said:

How bad does the roof have to cave in before they let him play? Learning from the bench is stupid. The only thing you learn is how to hold a clipboard and where the Gatorade is.

I disagree 100 percent.

Our weakest link is our O-line.  Do you really want JA, the future of our franchise, in there getting killed every week?

Ask Andrew Luck how he likes playing behind an inferior O-line.  Luck has repeatedly been destroyed because of the lack of talent on his line and his inability to slide when needed (something JA needs to learn as well).

IMO,  I hope JA does not have to take a snap in a game this year until the line proves they are capable of providing adequate pass protection.

Unfortunately, idiotic Bills fans will chanting for him the first mistake NP makes.

?

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Can you say more about this sideline reporters/McD grounding talk thing?

I saw it on the broadcast of the bengals game . I’d have to watch it again, it was at the start of the game.  Not sure who- maybe Pam Oliver?  It seemed clear that they were almost expecting josh to struggle at some point.  Personally I think I’d rather see him go through that in the pre season first. 

Edited by bobblehead

12 minutes ago, bobblehead said:

I saw it on the broadcast of the bengals game . I’d have to watch it again, it was at the start of the game.  Not sure who- maybe Pam Oliver?  It seemed clear that they were almost expecting josh to struggle at some point.  Personally I think I’d rather see him go through that in the pre season first. 

Process, baby!!! 

I didn't want Josh Allen. The only 1st round QB I wanted even less than him was Jackson.

But what do I know? I don't even watch college ball, much less Wyoming.

I do know that I have respect for coach McDermott and GM Beane. They seem smart, hardworking, and like they have a plan.

I'm not completely on the Allen train, but I sure hope he does well and I was wrong about him.

P.S. That TD throw from Allen where he dodged defenders and stepped up in the pocket was a thing of beauty. More of that please!

Edited by MJS

Love it!

Feel the exact same way!

Loathed the pick. Got viscerally upset.

Researched and studied him.

Grew to really be excited about the pick.

Now I just want him to play. Anxiety fills me with Peterman starting Sunday. I'd be excited about Allen.

But let him sit on the bench while the OL sorts itself out a bit. Then let him come in and take the league over :thumbsup:

15 hours ago, Tatonka68 said:

How bad does the roof have to cave in before they let him play? Learning from the bench is stupid. The only thing you learn is how to hold a clipboard and where the Gatorade is.

Yeah, learning from the bench didn't work for Brees, Rodgers and Brady, the three finest QBs in the game, so why should we ...

Oh, wait. It did.

There's a reason why virtually all coaches believe that spending time on the bench helps guys. And the reason is because it does work. Same reason why pilot schools don't say, "!@#$ it, they don't need simulator time, nobody learns from that, just throw 'em behind the stick of a loaded 727." It all works. Mental reps work. Time to practice mechanics work. Time to study film of NFL defences works. It all works.

That doesn't mean that everybody needs it. But it does mean for a rookie riding the bench that if all he learns is how to hold a clipboard he's not going to turn out to be a good NFL QB.

McDermott is among the people who believes that time on the bench works, and we know that because if he didn't, Allen himself wouldn't have specifically said that 

"... sometimes quarterbacks can get thrown in there too early and that can have a snowball effect on them during your career. So coach is going to do the smart thing." - Josh Allen

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2018-nfl-training-camps-bills-wont-rush-josh-allen-into-starting-qb-role/

I guess I'm in the minority here but I liked the pick from the get go and I think Allen will be the best of the bunch. The Bills finally picked the right guy. I didn't want Mayfield, Jackson, or Rosen. I could have lived with Darnold. From what I've seen and observed I think Allen is gonna be good. Of course I realize I could be flat out wrong but to me he has a real chance to be special.

Mitch Trubisky started 12 games last year.

7 passing TD's

2 rushing TD's

7 INT's

6.6 yards per attempt

77.5 passer rating

59.4 completion percentage

2193 passing yards

248 rushing yards

10 fumbles

3 fumbles lost

31 sacks

Not super impressive for the 2nd overall pick in the Draft but he's received pretty good press all last year and in the off season. I wonder what Josh Allen's raw stats will look like this year.