We are getting a new dog

Punching Bag

Both of our previous dogs died from cancer so my wife wanted not to have one for a while but she gave in to my daughter's wishes and during a weekend in August we checked usual places.  After visiting a rescue organization which got King(ston) from (he was a rescue dog due to instincts to just run but not being able to find his way home) we went to the county animal shelter. 

After looking at a few dogs including walking a few in yard she decided on a female shepard which was turned in by owner.  I believe the dog was turned in for it has an accident with broken foot and either owner could not afford to have surgery or choose not to spend the money.  The animal shelter had surgery on the dog including putting pins into paw to help bones heal.  My daughter was strong enough to handle the dog (she is 26 but pretty inactive and not very strong) after not being able to handle another larger shepard. 

During the approval evaluation the evaluator notice she was still avoiding putting on full weight on paw and did further reading of file and discovered that the dog was being fostered while healing but the foster family temporarily returned dog to shelter while they were on vacation and dog was not supposed to be available for several weeks.  We were told the dog would be rechecked by veterinarian (I wanted to be one in high school and even got acceptance into Cornell but could not afford to go there and discovered at UB that I did not have memory needed for professional biology)  and when ready she (we) would have first opportunity to adopt.   We gave our daughter opportunity to continue looking at other dogs but she said not and she is bonded to dog.  Do not know if dog feels same way and may be a bit sad after being with foster family for a long time.

This week we got call that the dog would be available Saturday.  I hope this works out well.  The circumstances of her injury makes me think she is a runner or even worse an escape artist like King who jumped 6 foot fences.  I no longer can physically chase a dog even if he is just running as part of playing.  I work Saturday so I probably cannot go with my family to pick up the dog.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Both of our previous dogs died from cancer so my wife wanted not to have one for a while but she gave in to my daughter's wishes and during a weekend in August we checked usual places.  After visiting a rescue organization which got King(ston) from (he was a rescue dog due to instincts to just run but not being able to find his way home) we went to the county animal shelter. 

After looking at a few dogs including walking a few in yard she decided on a female shepard which was turned in by owner.  I believe the dog was turned in for it has an accident with broken foot and either owner could not afford to have surgery or choose not to spend the money.  The animal shelter had surgery on the dog including putting pins into paw to help bones heal.  My daughter was strong enough to handle the dog (she is 26 but pretty inactive and not very strong) after not being able to handle another larger shepard. 

During the approval evaluation the evaluator notice she was still avoiding putting on full weight on paw and did further reading of file and discovered that the dog was being fostered while healing but the foster family temporarily returned dog to shelter while they were on vacation and dog was not supposed to be available for several weeks.  We were told the dog would be rechecked by veterinarian (I wanted to be one in high school and even got acceptance into Cornell but could not afford to go there and discovered at UB that I did not have memory needed for professional biology)  and when ready she (we) would have first opportunity to adopt.   We gave our daughter opportunity to continue looking at other dogs but she said not and she is bonded to dog.  Do not know if dog feels same way and may be a bit sad after being with foster family for a long time.

This week we got call that the dog would be available Saturday.  I hope this works out well.  The circumstances of her injury makes me think she is a runner or even worse an escape artist like King who jumped 6 foot fences.  I no longer can physically chase a dog even if he is just running as part of playing.  I work Saturday so I probably cannot go with my family to pick up the dog.

Best wishes with your new dog!

As a former rescue foster family, I would strongly recommend gentle obedience training with family and dog - clicker training or something similar.  A couple sessions with a really good trainer who works with rescue dogs may be worth several series of classes with less experienced people.  One of my harsh learning curves was taking in dogs who were perfectly well behaved with me, but in the new family would revert to all the complaints they were surrendered for.

Our 3rd dog was a chronic run-away.  A collar with your phone number embroidered on it and a microchip are great helps.  We never were able to find her, kind strangers always found our number and called us.  One time she asked a police officer for help getting home by approaching his cruiser and lying down by the front wheel.  She was a great dog, she just had to have her spree every few months.

Good luck!

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

One time she asked a police officer for help getting home by approaching his cruiser and lying down by the front wheel.  She was a great dog, she just had to have her spree every few months.

Good luck!

Reminds me of a girl I knew....

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

As a former rescue foster family, I would strongly recommend gentle obedience training with family and dog - clicker training or something similar.  A couple sessions with a really good trainer who works with rescue dogs may be worth several series of classes with less experienced people.  One of my harsh learning curves was taking in dogs who were perfectly well behaved with me, but in the new family would revert to all the complaints they were surrendered for.

Our 3rd dog was a chronic run-away.  A collar with your phone number embroidered on it and a microchip are great helps.  We never were able to find her, kind strangers always found our number and called us.  One time she asked a police officer for help getting home by approaching his cruiser and lying down by the front wheel.  She was a great dog, she just had to have her spree every few months.

Good luck!

The dog is already chipped and we usually get a dog tag with number on it. 

We have had a few neighbors call us in past but often until he got too old had to bail him out from jail and he always was very sad.

The animal shelter is providing vouchers for 2 sessions with a professional trainer.

2 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

The dog is already chipped and we usually get a dog tag with number on it. 

We have had a few neighbors call us in past but often until he got too old had to bail him out from jail and he always was very sad.

The animal shelter is providing vouchers for 2 sessions with a professional trainer.

That’s great, I hope you get a good one!

We got an embroidered collar after she ripped the dog tag off on one of her sprees. $10.  Worth it.

Hope you don’t need it because this new pup stays close to home!

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Good luck!

Yes, the phone info is very important.  Lived in Houston, during hurricane Alicia.  It was a Cat 5, in '83, and many houses lost their perimeter fences.  I found 2 white Great Pyrenees in my un-fenced yard.  They had numbers on their collars, and the owners were very happy to get them back.

We are on Golden Retriever #6, over 45 years.  The first 2 we had their whole lives.  3 thru 5 were "senior" rescues, so they were only with us 2-3 years each.  When #5 died, we went back to the rescue people but were informed that they wouldn't let us have a "younger" dog because we don't have a fenced yard.  So time passed, and I found our current dog, on the SPCA web site.  He's a pure bred, and was "about a year old," in 2009.  He was a runner too, and I think that's how he ended up with the SPCA.  So now, 9 years later, he's slowed down quite a bit, as have I, but he's the best of the bunch, so far.

Best of luck with your new dog! 

• Like (+1) 1

Man’s best friend! The house seems empty if I come home and she’s just out at the groomers for a few hours. Have my son’s 12 week old puppy today plus my 9 year old Golden. All they want to do is rumble! Wild day! I’m the ringmaster at this circus. 

Best of luck with your new pal. 

• Like (+1) 1

We tried fostering a dog for a while but the dog hated being alone and would howl for hours in early morning and that is when I go to sleep after working to 2 or 3 am.

This one is supposed to be my daughter's pal and wife decided to get her one despite my misgivings about her being able to take care of him.  She used to take Ivan for a walk and would get up to corner at end of block, time him to pole or tree and pull out gameboy and play until she decided to come home or one of us checked on her and she said she was just taking a break.  First dog took over a couch by the front window, 2nd one loved sleeping in his crate and wondering what this dog will be like.  My wife is already looking at reorganizing living room to make him his own space.

Zelda is at her new home.  Rotten day weather wise here and I sat in car with her while mother and daughter went shopping for dog items.  Zelda got really antsy in care so despite weather and bad foot I took her out of car and walked her at overhang of KMart store.  She appears to be adjusting to her new home and I think for first time she had real bones to chew based on her reaction.

2cwmlw3.jpg

• Like (+1) 2

18 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Zelda is at her new home.  Rotten day weather wise here and I sat in car with her while mother and daughter went shopping for dog items.  Zelda got really antsy in care so despite weather and bad foot I took her out of car and walked her at overhang of KMart store.  She appears to be adjusting to her new home and I think for first time she had real bones to chew based on her reaction.

2cwmlw3.jpg

Beautiful shepherd!! I am glad that you are considering going to a trainer. A good trainer will do wonders for a dog. As you probably know, it will take about 4-6 weeks in a new home for the dog's true personality to appear. That is why the GSD rescue I volunteer for usually fosters at least a month or two. How long was this dog fostered?

Best of luck with the new family member!! Please post lots of pictures!!

6 hours ago, LewPort71 said:

Mrs. Lew and I might get this pooch who has set up shop at my daughter's rented house.

(No pets per landlord)

We have 2 old cats and an old dog.

I wanted to end the pet thing but the boss has other ideas.

IMG9503481.jpg

Do it. After our friend Buddy past last year, we fostered a Springer Spaniel. Darn thing could jump as high as my shoulders. Too much energy for us. A family came from Michigan who adopted him. All is good as we are still in contact with them. Our next foster, Allie was our next foster. Black Lab/ Boxer. We adopted her. Separation issue but knows her commands and does them. Lover but a protector.  We call her him (Buddy, had to break that habit). She experienced her first Bills game with me yelling. Got agitated. 3 qtr. we went for a walk. Pooped at OBD

• Haha (+1) 1

On 9/10/2018 at 3:26 PM, KRC said:

Beautiful shepherd!! I am glad that you are considering going to a trainer. A good trainer will do wonders for a dog. As you probably know, it will take about 4-6 weeks in a new home for the dog's true personality to appear. That is why the GSD rescue I volunteer for usually fosters at least a month or two. How long was this dog fostered?

Best of luck with the new family member!! Please post lots of pictures!!

At least 6 weeks while she was recovering from surgery.  We actually met the woman who fostered her at the shelter when we picked Zelda and she showed my daughter how to attach harness and how to walk her.

I just tried to avoid having my bad foot stepped on something Zelda should sympathize with.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 9/11/2018 at 6:28 PM, Limeaid said:

At least 6 weeks while she was recovering from surgery.  We actually met the woman who fostered her at the shelter when we picked Zelda and she showed my daughter how to attach harness and how to walk her.

I just tried to avoid having my bad foot stepped on something Zelda should sympathize with.

Beautiful dog!

good luck with Zelda and may she bring your family much love!