Universal advice

4merper4mer

I played for a fairly high level HS lacrosse program in CNY that regularly churned our D-1 prospects.   Fifty or sixty tried out for 30 varsity spots.  Seniors got cut.  I was one of 2 sophomores to make the team.

My coach called myself and the other sophomore into his office on final cut day to inform us we had made the team.  He shook both of our hands and said “You made the team for a reason.  You both are talented. Now if you want to step on the field, you need to show me that I can’t afford to NOT have you on the field.  Show me that you have balls.”

I think this may be the best advice I have ever been given.  It applies to so many areas of life. 

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I played for a fairly high level HS lacrosse program in CNY that regularly churned our D-1 prospects.   Fifty or sixty tried out for 30 varsity spots.  Seniors got cut.  I was one of 2 sophomores to make the team.

My coach called myself and the other sophomore into his office on final cut day to inform us we had made the team.  He shook both of our hands and said “You made the team for a reason.  You both are talented. Now if you want to step on the field, you need to show me that I can’t afford to NOT have you on the field.  Show me that you have balls.”

I think this may be the best advice I have ever been given.  It applies to so many areas of life. 

So, did you show him your Balls?

• Haha (+1) 2

11 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Always and never propositions are uncommon...rare even.  Do you have any practical advice for something to always or never do?

I have never heard anyone say "I zagged when I should have zigged", so I would say just zag all the time.  Zigging seems to lead to issues.

Never straight always forward !