ESPN 2018 NFL Preview - Bills Ranked 32nd with Super Bowl Chance of 0.1%

26CornerBlitz

2 minutes ago, thurst44 said:

Look, I actually am on record as hating the Allen pick. I've liked a lot of what I've seen since, so I'm tentatively on board, and even a bit excited. However, what's the point as a fan of a team of trolling your future QB? Shouldn't we be supporting him and hoping he succeeds (even if you think it's highly unlikely). What's your endgame here? 

I despised Rob Johnson (and loved flutie since his bc days), but can't imagine I would have made my persona a picture of him with a bust.

Because sports should not be so serious...

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I'm hoping they play well. Maybe the defense performs better than they showed in preseason. Star Lotuleilei graded as one of the worst DTs in the NFL last year and he looked pretty awful when on the field in preseason. 

My major concern is the offense. All we have is McCoy, who is 30 years old and has had a couple soft tissue injuries the last couple years. We're going to be terrible at QB (this year), terrible at WR, and terrible on the offensive line.

We scored 18.9 PPG last year. With less consistent QB play, and more turnovers from the QB position, that number could drop below 17.5 PPG, and if that happens we'll almost certainly be looking at a top 5 pick. I don't think our defense is good, but our offense literally looks like it might be the worst in the NFL. 

I'll grant you the offense doesn't inspire much hope at this time. The WR corps could surprise (but even that could be hampered if Peterman struggles, and honestly, I have a rough time having confidence there). Benjamin shows flashes of greatness and has been around 1000 yards when healthy. Zay Jones has been a total mess so far in his pro career, but he has talent and sometimes the light just turns on; he looked very good when he didn't have to think about the pass, which makes me think it's the yips. Kerley is OK as a third receiver, but, yeah, pretty uninspiring. The line....I don't even know. Dawkins is good, and Maybe Teller gets in there, Miller wises up, but I've got very little positive there. I don't know if there's a good offensive line if you combined the AFC East units. Shady's 1000 yards until he's not. 

I have no problem with any publication (or even fan) saying we might have the 32nd offense. It's hard to argue, save to say that we don't truly know until we get on the field. My opinion: this season will be a bit of a slog, may start 2-6 even (but could see us going 6-2 or 7-1 on the back 8), the offense will be brutal but may show flashes, and the D will keep us in games. But we'll see. I do like the direction the team is going in.

6 minutes ago, AllenWillBust said:

Because sports should not be so serious...

Fair enough. I still don't get trolling our own players as fandom, but that's your right and prerogative.

10 minutes ago, thurst44 said:

Well, first off, the dead cap is part of the plan, and there's only 2 next year and it gives us almost 80 next year. 

I disagree heartily on TE and DL. We have a middle-of-the-pack tight end by almost every metric and there's nothing particularly wrong with his back-ups. Our defensive line mostly played well last year and let's see what they do in the season. I still like the Star move, but time will tell.

Great 80MM to spend on what? UFA spending is concerning a lot of the time. Unless you plan on going big after Randall Cobb and Golden Tate next year?

52MM of dead space to have people not play for you is not a great plan, no matter how you look at it. 

The Bills have zero pass rush currently, and Star is concerning to see if he can get back to his form from a few years back.

Trent Murphy cant stay healthy and Shaq Lawson is  bordering on flame out status, baring a massive turn around from his this year.

Charles Clay is a low option TE, IMO. Maybe he could be low 20s but i just dont see how he is top middle or better. Even with his backups.  

8 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Didn't the Chargers set a franchise record for points in a half last year?

Maybe the second half compliments of 54 against Buffalo

the first half .... 

@     Denver     L24-21

vs    Miami    L19-17

vs    Kansas City    L24-10

vs    Philadelphia    L26-24
@    New York    W27-22
@    Oakland    W17-16
vs    Denver    W21-0
@    New England    L21-13

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

17 minutes ago, Augie said:

IF Allen IS the guy, it might even be a good thing in the long run. But I don’t think we’ll be that bad.....

exactly how i feel about it.  all that's really important to me is the growth of our young players.  to me it was never about this year.  if the bills are terrible and get a high pick...fine.  just keep building.  i don't think the bills will be nearly that bad either.

8 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Word. You'd think if someone was so down on the team they wouldn't want to subject themselves to it.

i think some people live to be down.  we see it with select posters on this board.  they literally look for something to be upset about.  

Edited by teef
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Maybe the second half compliments of 54 against Buffalo

the first half .... 

@     Denver     L24-21

vs    Miami    L19-17

vs    Kansas City    L24-10

vs    Philadelphia    L26-24
@    New York    W27-22
@    Oakland    W17-16
vs    Denver    W21-0
@    New England    L21-13

No, this.

14 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Didn't the Chargers set a franchise record for points in a half last year?

Da Bears got destroyed in this game, which proves to me that 1985 team was one of the worst of all time!!!:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/198512020mia.htm

In fairness, I'm pretty sure they had clinched, but still feel that the last 6 games of the season are more indicative of who they were than the 3-game collapse.

58 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I expect the offense to struggle, but the defense being last doesn't add up. 

Their logic might be the O will suck so bad that our defense will get gassed by being on the field the whole game from our patented "3 and out" offense.  I wont render an opinion until I see a game we actually game plan for and see what happens. I do predict a tire fire though.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, AllenWillBust said:

Good thing you're allowed to have a preference right?

you took the time to sign up under a new name that proclaims the qb will be a bust, and put bust on a jersey that allen is holding.  that took some work, which is kinda pathetic.  i'm all for different opinions, but you are trying far too hard.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Word. You'd think if someone was so down on the team they wouldn't want to subject themselves to it.

Or, i have an opinion that I just don't think this team is very good.

I'll still watch, but don't have high expectations. IS that so wrong?

• Like (+1) 1