ESPN 2018 NFL Preview - Bills Ranked 32nd with Super Bowl Chance of 0.1%

26CornerBlitz

9 minutes ago, AllenWillBust said:

Peterman and Allen are your QB's, and if that doesn't work out we have Paxton Lynch! That right there tells you all you need to know, not sure why this is so difficult?

I never would have pegged you as a guy that didnt like Allen

• Haha (+1) 3

Damn, and I thought I was low on the defense. I'd be pretty shocked if it's the worst in the league. I don't think it's a top 10 unit like many here do...maybe not even top half of the league, but I don't think it's the worst either.

I think Buffalo is likely to pick somewhere in the 4-8 range this year though.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t think that the defense will be the worst. The offense might be. With that being said I have no issue with the projection. 6.3 games feels VERY fair to me. This might be the worst team in the league. If Allen can play though it won’t matter because the Bills won’t be down there for long.

So everyone else in the league is going to be better 6.3 wins?

3 minutes ago, thurst44 said:

See, I don't agree that we are bad in the trenches on both sides just b/c of pre-season, and even then we stopped the run in two of the three games which were not all backups. Let's let the games play, but calling a defense with Hyde, White, Poyer, Edmunds, Williams, and Hughes the worst in the league b/c of pre-season games seems a huge stretch.

The Bills IMO, have bottom 5 groups in

OL

DL

WR

QB

TE

RB is old, and slowing down.

LB is young and raw.

I don't have a lot of faith in this year. I hope Beane and McDermott know what they are doing with this nearly 60MM in dead cap this year.  

• Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I just don't get this, I really don't.  Are the Jets and Dolphins really that much better than us?  They have very similar schedules and I just don't see where they made huge offseason upgrades.  I'd argue the Dolphins could be worse now. 

Last season I wondered how bad Derek Carr's back affected him, but if that was a step back, I could see Oakland being a trainwreck.  

Either way, I don't mind being overlooked, but I just can't see us as the worst team in the league.

The world see Sweet Nate Pete as possibly the worst starting qb ever starting behind the worst OL in the league,  we’ve generated zero pressure all offseason following a season in which we didn’t generate any pressure,  our 2 free agent signings haven’t done anything since being signed.  One hasn’t played. The other has been getting engulfed and shown little effort,  our 3rd biggest FA signing fell over himself trying to tackle John Ross, 

I think were better than 32: but I’m not sure why anyone would question others viewing us as the worst team at the moment.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Our offensive line is going to be terrible. We got much worse up front without Wood and Incognito on the field. 

I never said the defense would be the worst. I just don't think it will be very good. Our DL can't generate pressure, and we can't stop the run. Until they show they can do those things I'm not giving them the benefit of the doubt. 

This is a bad football team that got worse in a lot of areas vs last season, with very few (if any) upgrades. 

That the defense is going to be the worst is the premise of this post. You didn't say it, but ESPN did.

Why not give them the benefit of the doubt? We're fans...why take an antagonistic approach? Maybe we should hope they do well (since other than cheering, we have very little influence)

I'm also not buying the "bad football team"...we are what our record said we were and I still don't get how so few people give this team credit for pulling out of one of the worst three-game nosedives a team has ever had and instead of folding up, winning against every team that wasn't New England to make the playoffs. We were a "middling team" which may have become worse in the off-season (i still like the draft, a maturing Tre, and think the additions of Star and Murphy will still pay off, but, yes, we got killed on the o-line, and it's hard to buy Peterman will be better than Tyrod, but receivers a wash and Shady's potential decline could be balanced by better back-ups), but are on an upward trajectory.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

The Bills IMO, have bottom 5 groups in

OL

DL

WR

QB

TE

RB is old, and slowing down.

LB is young and raw.

I don't have a lot of faith in this year. I hope Beane and McDermott know what they are doing with this nearly 60MM in dead cap this year.  

Well, first off, the dead cap is part of the plan, and there's only 2 next year and it gives us almost 80 next year. 

I disagree heartily on TE and DL. We have a middle-of-the-pack tight end by almost every metric and there's nothing particularly wrong with his back-ups. Our defensive line mostly played well last year and let's see what they do in the season. I still like the Star move, but time will tell.

9 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t think that the defense will be the worst. The offense might be. With that being said I have no issue with the projection. 6.3 games feels VERY fair to me. This might be the worst team in the league. If Allen can play though it won’t matter because the Bills won’t be down there for long.

I don't think buffalo will be as "lucky" as they were last year with the turnovers this year. How many times is AJ green going to have 3 turnovers in one game???

I think the defense takes a step back.

6.3 Wins is top end for me, unfortunately. I hate having this mentality, but i just look at this roster and i see McCoy and a whole lot of nothing else on offense. McCoy coming off of his worst season and now over 30 and Ivory who was rated one of the worst backs last year as your 1-2. 

I can easily see this team starting off 0-4 and then Allen getting the start against Tennessee.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, thurst44 said:

That the defense is going to be the worst is the premise of this post. You didn't say it, but ESPN did.

Why not give them the benefit of the doubt? We're fans...why take an antagonistic approach? Maybe we should hope they do well (since other than cheering, we have very little influence)

I'm also not buying the "bad football team"...we are what our record said we were and I still don't get how so few people give this team credit for pulling out of one of the worst three-game nosedives a team has ever had and instead of folding up, winning against every team that wasn't New England to make the playoffs. We were a "middling team" which may have become worse in the off-season (i still like the draft, a maturing Tre, and think the additions of Star and Murphy will still pay off, but, yes, we got killed on the o-line, and it's hard to buy Peterman will be better than Tyrod, but receivers a wash and Shady's potential decline could be balanced by better back-ups), but are on an upward trajectory.

I'm hoping they play well. Maybe the defense performs better than they showed in preseason. Star Lotuleilei graded as one of the worst DTs in the NFL last year and he looked pretty awful when on the field in preseason. 

My major concern is the offense. All we have is McCoy, who is 30 years old and has had a couple soft tissue injuries the last couple years. We're going to be terrible at QB (this year), terrible at WR, and terrible on the offensive line.

We scored 18.9 PPG last year. With less consistent QB play, and more turnovers from the QB position, that number could drop below 17.5 PPG, and if that happens we'll almost certainly be looking at a top 5 pick. I don't think our defense is good, but our offense literally looks like it might be the worst in the NFL. 

Worst defense and 2nd worse offense? So absurd. Not even worth arguing.

And if the Bills are projected (by them) to win 6.3 games, they won't be the worst team in the league. There are always teams who win less than 6 games.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, AllenWillBust said:

Not a problem.

Look, I actually am on record as hating the Allen pick. I've liked a lot of what I've seen since, so I'm tentatively on board, and even a bit excited. However, what's the point as a fan of a team of trolling your future QB? Shouldn't we be supporting him and hoping he succeeds (even if you think it's highly unlikely). What's your endgame here? 

I despised Rob Johnson (and loved flutie since his bc days), but can't imagine I would have made my persona a picture of him with bust on his jersey.

Edited by thurst44
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Don't place stock in pre-season estimates regardless if they ranked us #32 or #1.  Way too many variables to know what's going to happen.  Injuries being the primary one, but also we don't know yet about how Daboll will really run his offense.  The line is bad in pass protection, but do OK with run blocking, so I can see a lot of runs,  lot of two step drops and quick throws, screens, etc.  I don't think Daboll showed his hand in pre-season.  As for D, we don't know what Frazier will dial up for pass rushing.  Edmunds should come on as the season goes on.  DB.s are good.  Question will be the run D.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1