Peterman/Brees comparison?

ajmac

36 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

By the middle of this year Drew Brees will have thrown for more yards than any QB ever. By early next year Drew Brees will have thrown more TDs than any QB ever. Are we really trying to do this? 

Maybe... do pick 6s count as TDs?  If not, I’m out. 

6 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Peterman always reminded me more of Brady than Brees. A strong case can be made that....I can’t do this. I tried. I can’t.

Didn’t another HOF’er play at Pitt?  That’s IT! Maybe he’s more like Alex Van Pelt. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, vincec said:

I get it. Allen is a lot like John Elway. Tall, big arm, running ability. So I guess we need to decide if we want Drew Brees or John Elway at QB for the next 10 years. It’s tough.

We should find a way to get both of them on the field so the defense won’t know who’s gonna throw the ball

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, ajmac said:

I have never heard anyone really compare these two QBs on the board here or anywhere, but you have to admit, there are some similarities in their styles of play and skill sets. I am not a Peterman fan, nor am I against him. I think he had a rough start to his career and other than that, he has looked relatively promising as a potential solid starter. 

The weakness of his arm strength, just like Drew Bree's, and lack of size (cause for concern on wear and tear) were the main knocks on both. Both great college players, except Bree's has the edge for sure there. I know this is a stretch a little here, but I am not so sure Peterman could turn out to be a solid QB in this league. 

Personally, I see the generational talent in Allen, and I want that for my guy, but what are we going to do if all of a sudden Peterman starts showing flashes and wins games?? 

Ok, now you can roast away, I brought cold beer and snacks so you don't have to be gentle! 

White?  check

Quarterback?  check

That's all I got.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, ajmac said:

I have never heard anyone really compare these two QBs on the board here or anywhere, but you have to admit, there are some similarities in their styles of play and skill sets. I am not a Peterman fan, nor am I against him. I think he had a rough start to his career and other than that, he has looked relatively promising as a potential solid starter. 

The weakness of his arm strength, just like Drew Bree's, and lack of size (cause for concern on wear and tear) were the main knocks on both. Both great college players, except Bree's has the edge for sure there. I know this is a stretch a little here, but I am not so sure Peterman could turn out to be a solid QB in this league. 

Personally, I see the generational talent in Allen, and I want that for my guy, but what are we going to do if all of a sudden Peterman starts showing flashes and wins games?? 

Ok, now you can roast away, I brought cold beer and snacks so you don't have to be gentle! 

Sadly your gonna get roasted for your take but Le me join you in your comparison.  Very comparable skill set and for those that don't remember (I'm a native Hamburg resident who relocated to San Diego) Bree's had two very shaky years at the beginning leading the Chargers to draft Phillip Rivers.  Then in his 3rd season Bree's got it and started on his path to a hall of fame career.

Does Nate Peterman have the intangibles to succeed at a Drew Bree's level?  That's yet to be determined, however in a limited body of work all lot of the same attributes that Bree's has to make him a great QB do show in Peterman's play.

I think that the fans in Buffalo will see Nate on another team in a climate controlled stadium do very well in the future as Josh Allen is our future number 1.  Let's hope that the Bree's/Rivers scenario plays out in both Buffalo and in Nate's new team in the future

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, bills11 said:

Umm what Games are you watching...Drew Brees has very good velocity on his passes what made you think he lacked arm strength his size?

Interestingly, arm strength was a knock on Drew Brees when he came out of college.  I think he's worked on it, which can be done, and which Nate has done this past offseason.  So, yeah, that is somewhat of a similarity.

• Like (+1) 1

I think the better comparison for Peterman is Joe Montana. Think about it. They are both men. They both have the exact same number of extremities and digits. They both play football. I know, its eerie isn't it? But there's more. They both play the same position! Both were successful D-1 college QB's. Both were drafted by an honest-to-god NFL team. Both earned the right to be a starting QB in the NFL. And get this, neither of them has ever been in my kitchen. Coincidence? Proof of Peterman's future greatness? Science people, it matters.

And yessss, my skillful use of italics makes my argument unassailable, you bunch of neo-luddite rubes.

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I don't see the comparison, maybe after a few beers I will. 

I do remember that it was the Bills old front office that chose Rivers over Brees.

Not that Rivers is bad but it was not the smartest decision in hindsight.

Sometimes it takes a QB 2/3 years to develop which bodes well for Peterman.

However by then Allen will be starting.

Edited by VADC Bills
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

Brees has a weaker arm than Peterman...http://www.pass2win.com/ball-velocity-exposing-the-power-qb.html

Drew Brees has never been known for having a cannon, but he makes up for that with timing, deadly accuracy, and technique.

I've been making comparisons to Brees and Peterman for a while based mostly on the way they play and the situation they found themselves in on their rosters. Time will tell if he's able to put it together, but he's a smart kid who doesn't get rattled, and his skill set is shared by many really good QBs. He's got a hell of a mountain to climb, and I'm just hoping he gets that chance.

I agree a lot of people think having arm strength enough to launch a 70 yr bomb is OMG the best thing a NFL QB can have which maybe having it in the players arsenal is a good thing but not necessary to be a good even great QB !

One interview that stuck out to me this yr was by a guy that didn't have the greatest arm in the NFL when it came to launching it 70+ yds but new how to drop a dime for 25 yds & could read the D & pick them apart . He had a really good career & if not for injury he could have had a lot better one his name was Chad Pennington !

The interview i listened to was on One Bills Live the dude nailed what a NFL QB needs to have to be a good QB in this league & that was deciphering defenses quickly, finding their weaknesses & being accurate sure you have to have decent arm strength but not even QB tries a hail mary every other game like Rogers does but it is nice to be able to if needed !

If Peterman can be a good version of Pennington for the Bills i'm all in because he won more than he lost especially before his injuries started to creep into his career . So here's to hoping he can be our guy for a while or at least until Allen can learn to be a better QB for the team !

GO BILLS !!!!!

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, ajmac said:

I applaud the analysis and insight on Peterman, and I actually liked what I saw him do in preseason last year, as well as this year....  BUT  This is TBD forums....  Everyone here hates Peterman, because well, you know, 5 interceptions, like once that happens, you cut him.  

I personally can see the comparison, but you're fishing with bait in a barrel full of dead fish.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

How did he intentionally create a QB controversy?  Peterman performed better than Allen and McCarron so he won the job.  I see nothing wrong with how the QB competition was handled during training camp/preseason and it really was a true three way competition.

I remember people used to complain we would just hand the job to our QB. Now we have a legit open competition and people complain we didn't hand the job to our QB. You'll never make everyone happy.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, ajmac said:

I remember when he was at San Diego, for hurt, there was so much doubt about his ability to throw deep because his arm wasn't that strong to begin with. A lot of peopl thought New Orleans made a mistake at that time. All that changed very quickly, but there was the story line, I was there man. Great college an, but not tall enough for NFL, arm didn't have the deep ball. Accuracy was off the charts though. 

I actually think Peterman has and will continue to improve in that department. His mechanics have also improved with coaching in the last year. I say that because you can definitely see the mechanics improvement in Allen,...Peterman's mechanics weren't terrible, but he still has room and has shown improvement in ball placement though better footwork on certain throws. 

Cautiously optimistic about his performance, but if the line can't protect him, it won't matter.

Um no one thought Saints made a mistake, he was the premiere FA that year.  And everyone thought and knew Saban and Dolphins made a mistake not signing him first.  Dolphin fans remain bitter to this day over it.

This board loves to find people to make comparisons too, but sorry Brees is an awful choice of a comparison.  Bree’s has never at any point been incapable of effectively using any part of the field.  Meanwhile, Peterman is a legit liability when using the sidelines from the pocket.  

Let me tell you what doesn’t matter...distance, which does not correlate with velocity.  Just like 40 yard dash times doesn’t equate to full pads elusiveness, acceleration, and speed.  In a test the QBs will load up to throw as far as they can, but in real game action you have split seconds to wind up and deliver a short throw with velocity.  And NP has struggled with that undeniably while guys like Brady and Brees (2 guys people keep comparing NP too) have never.  

I would love for NP to become a Brees like story, but honestly it’s just lazy and baseless to make the comparison right now.  NP hasn’t even shown he can win a game yet, let alone be anything close to 2 of the most prolific passers in NFL history.  Not to mention, NP doesn’t even play the same style of game as either Brees or Brady, I mean it’s just a lazy comparison just because they aren’t known for their arm strength either when their games and styles are totally different.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Thank you (+1) 1