Peterman/Brees comparison?

ajmac

On the surface level there are similarities.  The difference however is that Brees started for about 2 years prior.  He didn’t turn into a good QB until the year Phillip Rivers was drafted.  

Peterman is fairly inexperienced as a starter. He has 2 starts under his under his belt and a much more limited body of work

2 hours ago, bills11 said:

certainly you should be able to realize by now that theres a flaw in those numbers..use your eyes if you think Joe Flacco has a weaker arm than andy dalton then you clearly dont know how to judge velocity..deshaun watson made throws last year that peterman has no ability to make yet the list says his arm is significantly weaker than petermans..dont use data thats clearly skewed to show your personal bias. Cam newton has an absolute cannon according to that list he has a weaker arm than mark sanchez no one would agree with that. 

Great point. I definitely agree that your "eye test", conducted while watching the halftime highlights on TV from your couch is definitely a far more objective, reliable, and accurate measuring tool than any sort of in-person radar measurement of velocity. 

• Haha (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, twoandfourteen said:

Great point. I definitely agree that your "eye test", conducted while watching the halftime highlights on TV from your couch is definitely a far more objective, reliable, and accurate measuring tool than any sort of in-person radar measurement of velocity. 

Great job failing to understand that you can perceive things with your eyes genius . I don't need scientific data to tell me that Deshaun Watson has a stronger arm than Nate peterman. That's the point..the data is showing oddities that don't show up on Sundays. Joe Flacco has an absolute cannon arm yet the data shows he only throwers the football 1 mph more than Peterman and his arm is weaker than Andy Dalton..believe the data blindly if u want it's irrelevant to me I'll trust my eyes .

27 minutes ago, twoandfourteen said:

7 minutes ago, bills11 said:

Great job failing to understand that you can perceive things with your eyes genius . I don't need scientific data to tell me that Deshaun Watson has a stronger arm than Nate peterman. That's the point..the data is showing oddities that don't show up on Sundays. Joe Flacco has an absolute cannon arm yet the data shows he only throwers the football 1 mph more than Peterman and his arm is weaker than Andy Dalton..believe the data blindly if u want it's irrelevant to me I'll trust my eyes .

You are most certainly a football savant. I'm so very impressed that you can visually discern the difference between footballs traveling at 52 mph vs. 53 mph, without actually having to be there.

4 hours ago, bills11 said:

Umm what Games are you watching...Drew Brees has very good velocity on his passes what made you think he lacked arm strength his size?

3 hours ago, bills11 said:

certainly you should be able to realize by now that theres a flaw in those numbers..use your eyes if you think Joe Flacco has a weaker arm than andy dalton then you clearly dont know how to judge velocity..deshaun watson made throws last year that peterman has no ability to make yet the list says his arm is significantly weaker than petermans..dont use data thats clearly skewed to show your personal bias. Cam newton has an absolute cannon according to that list he has a weaker arm than mark sanchez no one would agree with that. 

I will continue to use my eyes and my brain. Like i said if you think Cam Newton Known for having an absolute cannon arm and the combine point has no merit..because Cam had a cannon at Auburn and if you think has the same velocity on his passes as ryan nassib or andy dalton ..then you need to get your eyes checked. I don't need scientific data to tell me that aaron rodgers has a significantly stronger arm then drew brees..or tyrod taylor or matt ryan i can see that on the field by the velocity in their passes..its not that hard to comprehend

who said anything about distance being the measure of velocity..velocity is shown on deep outs and passes you have to drive ..any nfl qb can throw it deep 50 yards even chad pennington could..and guess what passes peterman struggles on ..sideline velocity throws. and the link you just sent says "Flashes the ability to zip the ball into tight spots. Has a quick, over-the-top delivery. Puts a ton of revolutions on the ball and can make all the throws" so i dont know if you were trying to help your argument but you made it worse. I watched cam at auburn he had excellent velocity and he was known for having zip from day 1 nice try tho. the link you sent also says "Newton is one of the most athletically gifted quarterbacks in draft history. Possesses a quick, clean release, enough arm strength to complete the deep out"

yeah i agree with what you said here peterman has definetely shown so far hes very accurate when his feet are set..but their styles are a bit different drew loves to go vertical peterman is more like brady of the most recent years accurate short passes slants 

You're a feisty young man, eh?

• Haha (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, twoandfourteen said:

You are most certainly a football savant. I'm so very impressed that you can visually discern the difference between footballs traveling at 52 mph vs. 53 mph, without actually having to be there.

It's not about the numbers..I'm saying I can def see in person and on tv a difference with how hard Flacco throws vs Peterman .just like I can tell when I watch NBA that Russell Westbrook is faster than Kyle Lowry or that Connor McDavid in the NHL skates faster than max pacciorety..point is you can definitely visually perceive things it's not some super complex insight .

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

It's an interesting comparison and not as ridiculous as I thought it was at first glance.  Their scouting reports coming out of college are similar.  Brees was the 32nd pick while Peterman went in the 5th round though so Brees was obviously the better prospect.  Just the eye test tells me Brees has more zip on the short and intermediate passes.  Peterman needs to work on going through his reads and not telegraphing his passes.  Brees didn't have that problem.  I forgot that Rivers sat his first two years.  With today's rookie wage cap, San Diego may have traded Rivers and kept Brees.  

https://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2010/2/8/1301176/why-did-the-chargers-let-drew

Good article on the brees-Rivers decision.

It has been said before that they let him walk because his shoulder was a nightmare injury.

They made the right call based on long term medical evidence.

Brees is a unicorn.

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

By the middle of this year Drew Brees will have thrown for more yards than any QB ever. By early next year Drew Brees will have thrown more TDs than any QB ever. Are we really trying to do this? 

They are.

Sadly.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, greeneblitz said:

This is the garbage that McDermott wrought, he's the first coach Ive ever heard of to intentionally create a QB controversy over his first round quarterback he just drafted.

I don't agree that is what he is doing.

QB controversies are created when you have two QB who have played very well in games.

That applies to neither of these QB to date.

QB controversies are created when you unexpectedly bench a QB. 

It was expected that Peterman or McCarron would start

QB controversies are created when you bring in a QB who is held to be "ready to start" and he's not.

Allen was a raw prospect who was known to need work, both on his fundamentals and on the speed/complexity of the pro game.  It was expected he would sit for a while.

If we go 13-3 and make the playoffs with Peterman playing well at QB, then there may be a QB controversy

Right now, there is not.

4 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

Brees has a weaker arm than Peterman...http://www.pass2win.com/ball-velocity-exposing-the-power-qb.html

The data at that link are based on Ourlads.

It has been debunked numerous times that the Ourlads data is not official QB velocity data and can differ from it markedly.  One source said 30% of the numbers are wrong.

Please keep this in mind when arguing about empirical data vs eyes. 

There's also the valid point that just as 40 times don't necessarily reflect game speed or ability to gain separation, combine velocity numbers don't necessarily reflect the velocity of throws in a game.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

There's also the valid point that just as 40 times don't necessarily reflect game speed or ability to gain separation, combine velocity numbers don't necessarily reflect the velocity of throws in a game.

This. I played d2 college football and ran a 4.37 40. I was without question the fastest guy on the field almost every single game I played.  I struggled applying that to the backfield. My field vision and the way I processed what I needed to do to get downfield really slowed me down. I rarely had an instance where I watched film and thought that I actually used my speed. 

Some guys just have a hard time applying their abilities to in game situations. I don’t doubt that peterman can be clocked faster than some of these qb’s but sometimes the mind gets in the way and we slow ourselves down. Just my .02

• Like (+1) 3