[Vague Title] Richie, Richie, Richie SMH

Watkins90

21 minutes ago, teef said:

just wondering.  i went to a jesuit high school, so i had a lot of family and friends go to a jesuit college.  lots of john carroll, loyola of chicago, canisus, etc guys.

I went to a Brothers of Holy Cross HS. My kids went to Sisters of St. Joseph school starting at Pre K-3. Both were excellent.

I suspect that students get a good education at any Jesuit school.

Edited by Sky Diver

On 9/5/2018 at 7:30 AM, The Red King said:

Um...no.  First he (and here's the key part) accepted the pay cut.  Then he retired, claiming he had a newly discovered medical condition that forced his retirement.  A medical condition that has since been miraculously cured.

Why is the fact that he accepted the pay cut a key part? Why is it a big deal that he rethought it and didn't feel like taking more of a beating on his body for less money? I don't fault the guy at all, why the Bills would ask a pro bowler to take a pay cut and have no backup plan in place is beyond me.

39 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

Why is the fact that he accepted the pay cut a key part? Why is it a big deal that he rethought it and didn't feel like taking more of a beating on his body for less money? I don't fault the guy at all, why the Bills would ask a pro bowler to take a pay cut and have no backup plan in place is beyond me.

Well, I dunno about the parts you live in, but the parts I live in, do-overs are for kiddos....before you sign a contract, you can think about it all you like, and be like, "yeah, thought about it, that'll be No".  After you sign a contract, there's the old "man's word is his bond" thing - under the law, I believe most places give you a small time period to change your mind, after that, it's legally binding.  If you have a problem with it after that, you're expected to Cowboy up and go talk to the other party, not whine and throw tantrums on Twitter.

Why should a "grown-ass man" playing a game for "grown-ass men" not be expected to behave like a grown man in a simple life skills matter like honoring an employment contract?

As to why the Bills didn't have "plan B" in place (or why they asked him to take the pay cut in the first place) beyond me too.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well, I dunno about the parts you live in, but the parts I live in, do-overs are for kiddos....before you sign a contract, you can think about it all you like, and be like, "yeah, thought about it, that'll be No".  After you sign a contract, there's the old "man's word is his bond" thing - under the law, I believe most places give you a small time period to change your mind, after that, it's legally binding.  If you have a problem with it after that, you're expected to Cowboy up and go talk to the other party, not whine and throw tantrums on Twitter.

Why should a "grown-ass man" playing a game for "grown-ass men" not be expected to behave like a grown man in a simple life skills matter like honoring an employment contract?

As to why the Bills didn't have "plan B" in place (or why they asked him to take the pay cut in the first place) beyond me too.

This whole statement is a crock of ****... GM's, Coaches and owners get rid of players all the time for being "too old or "too slow" and the players say "it's just business" yet he didn't want to put his body through that after rethinking, your 9-5 job is nothing near this type of work so you can't compare the 2.

2 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

Well, there's good news and bad news for him.  The good news is that his body isn't taking a beating for less money.  The bad news is he's making NO money this year.  Hopefully he does what he said he was going to do and retire to focus on getting his liver and kidneys healthy.  But what he really needs is to get his mind healthy.

36 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

This whole statement is a crock of ****... GM's, Coaches and owners get rid of players all the time for being "too old or "too slow" and the players say "it's just business" yet he didn't want to put his body through that after rethinking, your 9-5 job is nothing near this type of work so you can't compare the 2.

So, basically, you're opposed to the idea of binding contracts, and all players should be able to set their own price each season.  Got it. ?

1 hour ago, Sky Diver said:

Crazy like a fox. The Bills released him so he got to keep the roster bonus.

More like "Crazy like a crazy person."  While he got to keep the remainder ($1.15M) of his signing bonus from 2 years ago, he forfeited $3.65M.  IOW, the $1M pay cut he was pissed about turned into a $3.65M pay cut. 

The huge paycut was stupid. The Bills gave the difference away to Corey Coleman. Brilliant.

I’m glad he screwed them out of a million dollars.

https://mobile.twitter.com/FieldYates/status/976472774217781249?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^976472774217781249&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fbuffalonews.com%2F2018%2F03%2F21%2Frichie-incognito-reportedly-agrees-to-sizable-pay-cut-with-bills%2F

Edited by Sky Diver

Just now, Sky Diver said:

The huge paycut was stupid. The Bills gave the difference away on the dumb Corey Coleman trade.

I’m glad he screwed the Bills out of a million dollars.

In his 3 years with the Bills (all Pro Bowl seasons mind you) Ritchie made a total of $10.425M, or just a shade under $3.5M/year.  That was good for around 30th in the league.  His play put him in the top-6.  He was an incredible value for the Bills, and he more than earned that $1M he got to keep.

Actually what was really stupid was going apeshit over the $1M pay cut and getting himself cut, without having another job lined-up.  But he did the Bills a favor, as evidenced by his unhinged behavior, and his time in the NFL is done.  I thank him for 3 great, cut-rate years he gave the team and hope he gets the help he needs in his life after football.

• Like (+1) 1

How did you come up with the $1M pay cut?

Just now, Doc said:

Huh?  That's what he accepted and then pulled that retirement stunt over.

It was more than that.

https://mobile.twitter.com/FieldYates/status/976472774217781249?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^976472774217781249&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fbuffalonews.com%2F2018%2F03%2F21%2Frichie-incognito-reportedly-agrees-to-sizable-pay-cut-with-bills%2F

Just now, Doc said:

Oops, my bad.  It was actually a $2.675M pay cut.  In any case, the $3.65M he was going to make was still more than the nothing he'll make.

He walked away with $1M and he didn’t take another year of pounding and the risk of being crippled.

That’s not a bad deal to me.

Just now, Sky Diver said:

He walked away with $1M and he didn’t take another year of pounding and the risk of being crippled.

That’s not a bad deal to me.

The $1(.15M) he "walks away with" was from his signing bonus 2 years ago.  He got no new money this year, except for what he got for playing in the playoff game.

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Why hasn't another team offered him that sweet money?

The answer to that is obvious.  What we will never know is whether a team would have offered him more than $3.65M had he not gone crazy.

10 minutes ago, Doc said:

The $1(.15M) he "walks away with" was from his signing bonus 2 years ago.  He got no new money this year, except for what he got for playing in the playoff game.

Not true. If he hadn’t forced their hand to release him, he would have been liable for the $1.15M bonus from his 2016 contract and his $1M bonus from this year. The Bill screwed him and he screw them back.

Edited by Sky Diver

1 minute ago, Doc said:

The answer to that is obvious.  What we will never know is whether a team would have offered him more than $3.65M had he not gone crazy.

Maybe they are worried about that "liver and kidney damage".....

1 minute ago, Sky Diver said:

Not true. If he hadn’t forced their hand to release him, he would have been liable for the $1.15M bonus from his 2016 and his $1M bonus from this year. The Bill screwed him and he screw them back.

The Bills are still playing football..

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The Bills are still playing football..

And Richie got $2.15M from the Bills for doing nothing as opposed to $3.65M for taking a beating.

I would take that deal all day long.

He outsmarted them.

6 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Not true. If he hadn’t forced their hand to release him, he would have been liable for the $1.15M bonus from his 2016 contract and his $1M bonus from this year. The Bill screwed him and he screw them back.

He never got the $1M bonus this year.  He said so himself.  And again the (unamortized) signing bonus was paid 2 years ago and he more than earned it.

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

More like the supratentorial damage.