Guide to Buffalo and Bills Games for Visitors

plenzmd1

54 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

Thanks for the tip...Never heard of it before but I will try to check it out sometime 

Be warned, it is a sketchy location, but the subs are so worth it. Plus, they play pirated movies for you while you wait for the food. Take out only. 

1 minute ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

Be warned, it is a sketchy location, but the subs are so worth it. Plus, they play pirated movies for you while you wait for the food. Take out only. 

So I'm assuming this is like an after-drinking hours spot? I'm a little past those days but not by too much lol...I'll have to keep this place in mind when i have a random night out on the town...They still happen occasionally but nothing like they used to be :(

My endless shilling for UB compels me to mention that the Bulls play the night before the Bills opener at 6pm. Cheap tickets and free parking. Come early for the tailgate concert. Some country guy. A few of us TBDers will be there. A good chance to practice your pregame rituals. 

I've been to the stadium once a year for 7 years straight but it's been a while so I'll be looking for tips and all.

My son just called me today to say his school will have as an outing the Bills-Jaguars game! One day before his BDay too! He'll have the details in two days. I sure hope I can join in. It's a 9 hour drive from where we are so we were really (but very pleasantly) surprised with the news.

As a reminder to all...please make edits and additions where appropriate. That doc should be editable by all...and any and all contributions can only help folks when they use the document.I want to add another section in there on last-minute tailgate resources around the stadium as well as a section bars/restaurants around the stadium as well. 

Only problem is I have never been in any of the bars around the stadium on games days..any have input greatly appreciated

On 9/3/2018 at 10:40 PM, Bills Oil Company said:

Wife and I are flying in from Houston for Tennessee game in early October.  Haven't been to a game since 2009 and not from Buffalo.   Any suggestions on the following would be greatly appreciated!

• Will be taking uber to stadium from downtown.  We want to walk around experience the scene.  Best suggestion on how to obtain beer?  Is there a place to buy outside stadium or should i just have the uber driver stop on the way?  :)
  • Were staying at the curtiss hotel downtown.  Any suggestions for nice restaurants near the hotel Friday or Saturday night?  What about after the game on Sunday?  Last time we went to anchor bar after the game and had a great time, but wanted to get others suggestions.

Appreciate it and thanks for starting this thread - very helpful for out of towners!

A few more suggestions (in addition to the good ones posted so far):

• As was said, have the Uber stop for beer - when you get to the stadium make your way to Hammer's Lot and party with the TBD crew!  Food, chairs, witty banter, Hammer dropping Hammers, Pinto tailgate and oh so much more...

• Eat / Drink:
    • 716 Bar:  Fancy, big sports bar in Key Bank Center
    • Pearl St Brewery:  Big following, I've had a few "meh" experiences there, but it's right downtown, soooo...
    • Lombardo:  Maybe 20 minutes from downtown, but one of my favorite restaurants in Buffalo!  Great family, food, service and atmosphere 
    • Bar Bill:  In East Aurora, some will claim the best wings in Buffalo
    • Salvatorie's Italian Gardens:  Over the top Italian joint near the airport, fully worth it for the old school experience
    • The Mansard Inn:  Hidden gem near the stadium, again, think old school fine dining joint - reminds me of my grandparents restaurants that I grew up in

That's it, a little rando, but a few choice spots! :D

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, blitzboy54 said:

It wont let me edit by the Hampton Inn in East Aurora is only 12 minutes from the stadium.  I've stayed there a few times

Thx for reporting back. Maybe have to be using chrome? I don’t k ow, I sell software, don’t have a clue how it works!

46 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Thx for reporting back. Maybe have to be using chrome? I don’t k ow, I sell software, don’t have a clue how it works!

Is that how you lead into your sales pitch? Do you need food? 

• Haha (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Heitz said:

A few more suggestions (in addition to the good ones posted so far):

• As was said, have the Uber stop for beer - when you get to the stadium make your way to Hammer's Lot and party with the TBD crew!  Food, chairs, witty banter, Hammer dropping Hammers, Pinto tailgate and oh so much more...

• Eat / Drink:
    • 716 Bar:  Fancy, big sports bar in Key Bank Center
    • Pearl St Brewery:  Big following, I've had a few "meh" experiences there, but it's right downtown, soooo...
    • Lombardo:  Maybe 20 minutes from downtown, but one of my favorite restaurants in Buffalo!  Great family, food, service and atmosphere 
    • Bar Bill:  In East Aurora, some will claim the best wings in Buffalo
    • Salvatorie's Italian Gardens:  Over the top Italian joint near the airport, fully worth it for the old school experience
    • The Mansard Inn:  Hidden gem near the stadium, again, think old school fine dining joint - reminds me of my grandparents restaurants that I grew up in

That's it, a little rando, but a few choice spots! :D

Great call on the Mansard. 

• Like (+1) 1

OKay, I have gone in and made some edits on Bar Bill and few other things...and someone did some formatting and clean up...THANK YOU!

Need some help still on stadium hotels..if any ..and a couple other things

1) Last minute tailgate supplies... i only listed 3 places if coming from Thruway and or RT 5...if someone comes to stadium different route, for instance from the south on 219, help there would be appreciated

2) Stadium Area Restaurants on game day.. if someone has been in any of the listed places and can give an idea of crowd, atmosphere etc be greatly appreciated..as many times as I have been to games, I have never been in any of these places on game day.

On 9/3/2018 at 12:40 PM, plenzmd1 said:

So, I have been thinking of doing this for a while now. Thought it might be nice if we can pin a thread with a document that gives some nice high-level information on places to stay/ eat/see/do for the folks that come to TBD and ask the "first time to a game." questions. I have put my ideas/ experiences when it comes to hotels and things to do and incorporated the awesome doc @Rubes put together a couple years ago for the Classic Food Tour of WNY. 

I am no genius on google docs and only lightly edited/formatted this doc. Someone better at that than me help appreciated!

I  will post a link that everyone can edit/add/clean up/post maps etc ( have no clue how Rubes did that) . For instance, I have always tailgated either in ECC or Hammers as that side of the stadium is easiest for me to get to...so would love input on tailgate places on 20A and California etc.

Let me see if this works..and if this is worthless..let me know that as well.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1F9yhWkCZkeTFX_6yagiiwCPu-JUnhBAxuPILxW8U438/edit?usp=sharing

This is outstanding. A shining example of what makes this place so great. 

When I came up to Buffalo with the fam last year I combed TBD for advice on a number of threads and it helped out tremendously. Putting it in one place was a great idea. 

One suggestion I have is to add a section for seat selection pros and cons...sightlines, sitting/standing, sun/shade, the drunk factor. I got a lot of good advice last year and it was a big help.

• Like (+1) 2