The Punter Situation/New Punter

BillsFan692

26 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

Until the new guy shanks a punt to our 24 yard line or bobbles the placement on a game winning field goal. 

How many times is that going to happen before he is replaced with someone else? If we are punting a bunch I doubt any of that will matter end of the day as we will probably be terrible.

i don’t mind McDermott replacing under performing players regardless how things play out. I wish he replaced 4/5ths of our offensive line unfortunately that is proving to be more difficult.

Hey man, RELAX........................

It's not like they hand the new punter a play book and tell him to start memorizing plays.

He does one freaking thing, receive the football cleanly, and then kick it................

Oh crap, that's two things............................anyway, forget all that..............

It's not like they cut Schmidt so he's gonna get signed by some other team 10 minutes later.

Punters are like sushi chefs........ you stick with yours and don't go to other places..............

If this new guy bombs, Colton will be available to come back..........I assure you of that!

The chances of him getting signed by somebody else are ZERO.

He's probably staying at an extended stay hotel in Buffalo for the season, just in case they call.

Now go get some much needed rest......................Scheeesch.....................kids....................

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillsFan692 said:

I think the point I was making got lost on you there, it was a very low risk move and who cares in the end. My point is that they were really wrong about him, couldn't they be really wrong about this rookie punter that has never played a snap before?  My larger point of course is that I consider this move to be more Risky than the Corey Coleman one, which was a very low risk who cares type of thing. 

I dont' really feel like the only punter on our team is a 'very low risk who cares type of thing' I feel like it's an important position, certainly not the most important but as noted in my original post, every position is ultimately an important one.

Taking  a flyer on a guy with great speed for a 7th round pick, doesn't show ineptitude on the part of Beane. Rather, it shows he was trying to improve the receiver position. Which everyone was complaining there were no speed guys. 

29 minutes ago, bobblehead said:

Yes. The punter/punter thread situation at crisis level.  Because Corey Coleman sucked. 

Way to put it all out there, bobblehead. Truly an inspirational post.

37 minutes ago, joemac1114 said:

Taking  a flyer on a guy with great speed for a 7th round pick, doesn't show ineptitude on the part of Beane. Rather, it shows he was trying to improve the receiver position. Which everyone was complaining there were no speed guys. 

Yeah sure, continual improvement is great -- but certainly the fact that Corey Coleman was trash and cut 2 weeks later shows that Bean misjudged the receiver. I mean sure he took a low-risk flyer on a guy that he thought may have had potential, but he was wrong and thankfully (and to his credit) it was low risk. 

Look I love bean and mcdermott, I'm a fan. I just don't think the actual punter position is as 'low risk' of a situation as Corey Coleman was -- although a lot of casual fans act like 'punter lol so what' but the truth is the punter like every other position on the team is an important one. With corey coleman, in that situation so what if he doesnt' work out, in this situation we won't even know at all what we have until the punter gets there -- heck he probably doesn't even know where the locker room is yet. We'll all find out if he's a good punter or not soon enough.... like on game day of the season opener.... YEESH.

And to the point of the original post, is this really how NFL clubs are run? Throwing darts at a board to fill the final position of your roster just 7 days before the start of a season opener? Just a bit shocking, don't you think?

Some have suggested that it is money related as the counter argument for the inexplicable nature of the entire situation -- I mean I suppose it's a plausible argument but I'm not so sure on that.

Edited by BillsFan692

You guys love punters so why not watch this 28 minute video of the kid.

I got through a bunch of kicks and damn he looks good. I love the fair catches on the 50 yarders. Also we love to talk about small schools.  This kid made the UNM ST look like all stars even against SEC competition. 

@BillsFan692 I agree they got the Coleman one wrong and others have made the point the cost wasn’t much. But I think they probably put more research on this punter than Coleman.  I feel like (someone who watches hard knocks can tell me) the Coleman trade was the Browns GM just calling Beane up to see if he wanted him. Beane said sure I have some spare change for a former 1st rounder. To steal a guy from under neath the hoodie requires research if he didn’t kick all preseason. 

It it was obvious they were moving on form Schmidt (agree carter would’ve won if not for injury). I’m pretty pumped for this kid but as has been said we will see. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Wagon Circler said:

So let me see if I understand the OP.

BLAH BLAH BLAH COREY COLEMAN BLAH BLAH BLAH .

Is that about it?

Not at all. I'm not sure if it's a literacy issue or just comprehension in general but if you let me know I'd be happy to work with you on those issues.

21 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

You guys love punters so why not watch this 28 minute video of the kid.

I got through a bunch of kicks and damn he looks good. I love the fair catches on the 50 yarders. Also we love to talk about small schools.  This kid made the UNM ST look like all stars even against SEC competition. 

@BillsFan692 I agree they got the Coleman one wrong and others have made the point the cost wasn’t much. But I think they probably put more research on this punter than Coleman.  I feel like (someone who watches hard knocks can tell me) the Coleman trade was the Browns GM just calling Beane up to see if he wanted him. Beane said sure I have some spare change for a former 1st rounder. To steal a guy from under neath the hoodie requires research if he didn’t kick all preseason. 

It it was obvious they were moving on form Schmidt (agree carter would’ve won if not for injury). I’m pretty pumped for this kid but as has been said we will see. 

Yeah I am definitely hopeful that he is an upgrade and appreciate that video. Not really at all what I am pointing out or discussing -- which is rather the slap dash way in which we have arrived at our "solution" for punter just 7 days before the start of the regular season. 

And Corey Coleman who cares right? I mean so what. The only reason I'm ever mentioning Corey Coleman is simply to stave off the "Bean knows what he's doing he always gets it right trust the process" type of posts. Bean is pretty good in my personal opinion and I like him a lot, but it's foolish to pretend like he is always right and 100% knocks it out of the park on every pickup. 

Given that those truths are self evident (that we can't be certain about a guy until we have him in our hands for our own evaluation), is it not shocking that an NFL club would be making a move like this with a starting position just 7 days before the season kicks off? They must REALLY have not liked schmidt, because this is pretty risky move if the new rookie punter who has never even played a snap in the NFL isn't so hot.

I get that the punter isn't a glamorous position and it's definitely not the most important one, that doesn't mean it's not important at all. I can say for one thing there is no other position on the team where this "situation" would be appropriate. 

Edited by BillsFan692

6 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

I feel like (someone who watches hard knocks can tell me) the Coleman trade was the Browns GM just calling Beane up to see if he wanted him. Beane said sure I have some spare change for a former 1st rounder. To steal a guy from under neath the hoodie requires research if he didn’t kick all preseason. 

There was definately a favor being called in, or something to that effect. It felt like something was up like that all along.  

4 minutes ago, BillsFan692 said:

Not at all, I'm not sure if it's a literacy issue or just comprehension but if you let me know I'm sure we can work through your issues together.

I'm curious, in all these posts questioning the competency of this staff for the way they addressed our punting situation, I haven't seen one of your thoughts on what you think they should've done differently. I've offered a few scenarios & addressed them in previous posts, but do you care to offer one yourself?

And regarding Corey Coleman, just because a player you take a flyer on doesnt pan out, it shouldn't serve as an indictment on their ability to evaluate talent. Perhaps if it were their own draft selections, such as say Josh Allen doesnt work out, or Tremaine Edmunds or if Tre White didnt, we could question their ability to judge talent. Because they invested time & significant draft capital pursuing those players. But with Corey Coleman it was just a stab in the dark. I think thats why you've been criticized so much for trying to make that comparison. They simply brought him in to see if a change of scenery would be a difference maker for him. It obviously wasnt & they parted ways with him.

And one final thought on that subject. Some times players just don't turn into what you hope they will be. Look at Corey Coleman for instance lol. Drafted by the Browns with the 15th pick of the 1st round. The Browns thought very highly of him & selected him but it didnt work out. Ryan Leaf, we all remember that name. Sometimes players are just busts. When teams draft players, theyre drafting very young men. Its a big transition coming from college & into the NFL. Theres no guarantees ever that a player is gonna work out.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, brianthomas said:

I'm curious, in all these posts questioning the competency of this staff for the way they addressed our punting situation, I haven't seen one of your thoughts on what you think they should've done differently. I've offered a few scenarios & addressed them in previous posts, but do you care to offer one yourself?

And regarding Corey Coleman, just because a player you take a flyer on doesnt pan out, it shouldn't serve as an indictment on their ability to evaluate talent. Perhaps if it were their own draft selections, such as say Josh Allen doesnt work out, or Tremaine Edmunds or if Tre White didnt, we could question their ability to judge talent. Because they invested time & significant draft capital pursuing those players. But with Corey Coleman it was just a stab in the dark. I think thats why you've been criticized so much for trying to make that comparison. They simply brought him in to see if a change of scenery would be a difference maker for him. It obviously wasnt & they parted ways with him.

And one final thought on that subject. Some times players just don't turn into what you hope they will be. Look at Corey Coleman for instance lol. Drafted by the Browns with the 15th pick of the 1st round. The Browns thought very highly of him & selected him but it didnt work out. Ryan Leaf, we all remember that name. Sometimes players are just busts. When teams draft players, theyre drafting very young men. Its a big transition coming from college & into the NFL. Theres no guarantees ever that a player is gonna work out.

I think Bean and McDermott are ahead of the curve, over all. They are competent enough and some of the best we have had in a while, I am really not on a crusade against them by any means. Still, even given those "warm feelings" I have for them, I can't help but find this situation to be mind boggling. If nothing else, it's just real eye opening to me about the way some of these things happen even at the most professional of levels.

As for my own solution to the "punter situation", if it was up to me and I was in charge of this decision -- I probably would have stuck with the guy I went all through off season with, minicamps OTA's, training camp and the actual pre-season, who also has been servicing the team in that position for 3-4 years, and if I was dead set on changing him I would have done it long before now, or I would ultimately wait until next season. Now I do understand they did try to bring in more camp bodies ahead of time to either A) improve schmidt or B) replace schmidt, but those guys just didn't work out.  Making this type of slap dash 'shoot from the hip' change to a final roster position just 7 days before the start of the regular season seems....  strange, mind boggling, and eye opening. 

But I suppose more then anything it speaks to their confidence level in what Schmidt was bringing to the table, I think in their minds maybe "They can't do worse" -- at least that's the only rational explanation I am able to come up with for these happenings.

18 minutes ago, ddarlak said:

Bills wanted to sign this kid but he went with the Patriots instead.

Bills waited until he was available and snapped him up.

As far as 7 days before season, so what, he's a punter.

Where did you read about the bills wanting to sign him before the patriots? I'd be curious to read up on more of that information -- that would probably change my thinking a bit. Also I have heard a few other posters mention 'stole him from under the hoodies nose'.. but I don't understand what they mean by that. I thought the patriots were not happy with this punter, that he was unable to 'earn any game time' because his performance at training camp and through the pre-season did not warrant any game time, was there some other information I missed on this topic?

Edited by BillsFan692

Here's what happened.  The Pats*** punter stinks, but Belichick isn't going to just turn the job over to a rookie.  So they sign this Bojorquez kid and he's really good in practice.  But Belichick still isn't sure he's going to trust a rookie so he lets him practice but doesn't put him in games, and therefore nobody else gets tape on him.  At the end of preseason Belichick is still on the fence about turning the job over to a rookie but thinks he can slide Bo onto the PS because nobody has seen him kick.  Except Beane did his homework too because Schmidt hasn't been good and the Bills need to upgrade.

Bottom line:  Belichick's scheme failed, and while yes, the Bills are about to hand the job over to a kid who has never punted in an NFL game, they've got a week of practice with him and are willing to take the chance.  I like it.

• Like (+1) 4

11 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Teams do this all of the time. They cut and bring in new kickers all of the the time. The Adam Vinatieries and Shane Lechlers of the world are outliers. As Bills fans we have not had a lot of turnover in the kicking game for awhile because we had Moorman and Lindell all that time. It's standard operating procedure in the NFL. 

Remember before Lindell there was guys like Mike Hollis, Jake Arians etc etc. it happens. 

Shane Lechler was cut this weekend, btw!!

• Like (+1) 1

I think I understand what the OP is getting at.  He's saying that Beane was hired to make roster decisions through the draft, trades and FA.  He further goes on to say that on balance he believes Beane is doing a passable job.  But, his main point is there are times (mainly the week before the regular season) when he should not attempt to upgrade the roster especially with a player that he is not familiar with. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1