The Punter Situation/New Punter

BillsFan692

Just now, BillsFan692 said:

I think the point I was making got lost on you there, it was a very low risk move and who cares in the end. My point is that they were really wrong about him, couldn't they be really wrong about this rookie punter that has never played a snap before? 

The guy was a former 1st round pick if someone was wrong it was the Browns.

We needed to see if this guy could fit and he has speed so he was worth a look.

At 21 in waiver priority he likely doesn't make the drive down the I90 thats why the lowest compensation level was offered to get him here.

Might have been wrong but they are not leaving many stones unturned.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

The guy was a former 1st round pick if someone was wrong it was the Browns.

We needed to see if this guy could fit and he has speed so he was worth a look.

At 21 in waiver priority he likely doesn't make the drive down the I90 thats why the lowest compensation level was offered to get him here.

Might have been wrong but they are not leaving many stones unturned.

It's like you and I are having completely separate conversations -- why are you talking about Corey Coleman? I am only referencing Corey Coleman to highlight the fact that they thought he might have potential and then obviously he did not. Do you disagree with that assessment? I think everyone can agree on that one.

So the question I am posing is: Given that presupposition how can we be so sure that the new punter on our team -- a rookie that has yet to play an NFL snap, that we just acquired off the waiver wire only 7 days before the regular season begins, will actually work out and be decent and serviceable? 

And I am answering: We can't, the emperor has no clothes, they are basically throwing darts at the board with entire positions. 

Most of the counter arguments go something like "LOL PUNTER" or some such but I find it fascinating none the less. I mean hey it's a grim reality but one we should acknowledge even if it's "just the punter position", it provides insight into the overall operations of an NFL club (ours, the one we care a lot about!)

Edited by BillsFan692

1 minute ago, BillsFan692 said:

It's like you and I are having completely separate conversations -- why are you talking about Corey Coleman? I am only referencing Corey Coleman to highlight the fact that they thought he might have potential and then obviously he did not. Do you disagree with that assessment? I think everyone can agree on that one.

So the question I am posing is: Given that presupposition how can we be so sure that the new punter on our team -- a rookie that has yet to play an NFL snap, that we just acquired off the waiver wire only 7 days before the regular season begins, will actually work out and be decent and serviceable? 

And I am answering: We can't, the emperor has no clothes, they are basically throwing darts at the board with entire positions. 

Most of the counter arguments go something like "LOL PUNTER" or some such but I find it fascinating none the less. I mean hey it's a grim reality but one we should acknowledge even if it's "just the punter position", it provides insight into the overall operations of an NFL club (ours, the one we care a lot about!)

I know what your saying but CC was not a high risk gamble and neither is this kid.

Have you even seen his colledge stat line?

CS6 was average do you want to settle for average?

This kid might be a star at his position,crap even Lechler got cut this year.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, BillsFan692 said:

I have no issue with cutting/changing/trading/drafting punters and kickers. It's just going in to start a season and 7 days before the kick off of the opening game we totally dump what we have and bring in some rookie who hasn't even played in a pre-season game? Just seems mind boggling to me that type of, lets call it "Situation" would even be possible to happen at the NFL level -- you would just think they would have had a bit more planning and forsight then to be scrambling to grab an unknown rookie 7 days before kick off.

I think it's a very fair point. If they really disliked Schmidt they could have drafted Dickson or Scott or Townsend...maybe signed Marquette King when he was cut. 

That said I am ok with it. My guess is they had some agreement with this new punter, so they went ahead and drafted Austin Proehl...NE came calling and the punter screwed them and signed with NE instead. I think it happens a lot with UDFA. Bills were patient and got their guy. They must really like this guy, otherwise the move is questionable. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

I know what your saying but CC was not a high risk gamble and neither is this kid.

Have you even seen his colledge stat line?

CS6 was average do you want to settle for average?

This kid might be a star at his position,crap even Lechler got cut this year.

Yeah I know what you mean, I am hoping that he works out great too and that we are set on the punter position for a while. I just find the process a little shocking to be making this type of move 7 days before the regular season kicks off. I think it's riskier than Coleman because with Coleman, so what if he doesn't work out you didn't really lose anything you just have what you had before. This I find to be more risky because it's your only punter you know? If he doesn't work out it's a bigger deal, in my opinion.

Just now, BillsFan692 said:

Yeah I know what you mean, I am hoping that he works out great too and that we are set on the punter position for a while. I just find the process a little shocking to be making this type of move 7 days before the regular season kicks off. I think it's riskier than Coleman because with Coleman, so what if he doesn't work out you didn't really lose anything you just have what you had before. This I find to be more risky because it's your only punter you know? If he doesn't work out it's a bigger deal, in my opinion.

2 weeks  ago when our rookie went down with an ACL they brought JR in.

CS6 was on borrowed time.

It's a little unnerving to know your punter is a person none of us have seen kick and your holder is person none of us have seen hold.  The way these kind of changes usually go is through a camp competition where we'd have a chance to see both players head to head.  If Bojoquez had kicked in pre-season it'd be easier to have a warm fuzzy about it.

Schmidt really wasn't very good and was extremely inconsistent in his own right.  Even last week, he pinned the Bears at the 1 then promptly shanked his next attempt (though he was bailed out by a friendly bounce).

The knock on Bojoquez is apprently placement which, admittedly is an issue.  If you have a coverage called to pin a guy in on the right and then the kick goes left you are very vulnerable to a big return.  One would also hope that bit is coachable.

I acknowledge your apprehension.  Hang in there.  Just think how tuned in you'll be to punts this weekend.

8 minutes ago, BillsFan692 said:

I would totally disagree.  Colman had talent and potential- they wanted a shot to unlock it.  They saw that he was not making it and made adjustments.  That is what a team should do - not go oh well he is not going to give us what we need, but let’s keep him anyway and not try to get better.

They got a new punter at league minimum.  After week 1 they can easily go out and pick up Schmidt or Ryan or any of a handful of veterans without the guaranteed money sticking in.

This move was about money and for 1 week go ahead and complain- if the guy is better he sticks and if not they can move on.  It does give insight - the team is looking to improve even at the punter position.

The Bills are looking to get better and they are looking for talent - this is a way to get a guy in, save money, and leave the window open on multiple veteran punters that they can bring back with no guaranteed mony.

Don’t overthink this move. 

• Like (+1) 1

I seriously doubt our season lies on the foot of our new punter. So I am fine with the change as Schmidt wasn’t that good to begin with. Apparently the Pats kept him out of preseason games in hopes of stashing him on the practice squad. If it works out great if not go get another punter or even bring Schmidt back.

Edited by billieve420

11 minutes ago, billieve420 said:

I seriously doubt our season lies on the foot of our new punter. So I am fine with the change as Schmidt wasn’t that good to begin with. Apparently the Pats kept him out of preseason games in hopes of stashing him on the practice squad. If it works out great if not go get another punter or even bring Schmidt back.

Until the new guy shanks a punt to our 24 yard line or bobbles the placement on a game winning field goal. 

Edited by Green Lightning
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, brianthomas said:

they brought in Cory Carter.

I'm not worried at all & think its a good move

Carter would have won the job, IF he did not get hurt on that stupid roughing the kicker penalty.

Agreed, nothing to worry about and it looks like a good move. 

Bonus, we stuck it to NE Pats*****

• Like (+1) 4