The Punter Situation/New Punter

BillsFan692

11 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Teams do this all of the time. They cut and bring in new kickers all of the the time. The Adam Vinatieries and Shane Lechlers of the world are outliers. As Bills fans we have not had a lot of turnover in the kicking game for awhile because we had Moorman and Lindell all that time. It's standard operating procedure in the NFL. 

Remember before Lindell there was guys like Mike Hollis, Jake Arians etc etc. it happens. 

I have no issue with cutting/changing/trading/drafting punters and kickers. It's just going in to start a season and 7 days before the kick off of the opening game we totally dump what we have and bring in some rookie who hasn't even played in a pre-season game? Just seems mind boggling to me that type of, lets call it "Situation" would even be possible to happen at the NFL level -- you would just think they would have had a bit more planning and forsight then to be scrambling to grab an unknown rookie 7 days before kick off.

Edited by BillsFan692
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BillsFan692 said:

I have no issue with cutting/changing/trading/drafting punters and kickers. It's just going into start a season and 7 days before the kick off of the opening game we totally dump what we have and bring in some rookie who hasn't even played in a pre-season game? Just seems mind boggling to me that type of, lets call it "Situation" would even be possible to happen at the NFL level -- you would just think they would have had a bit more planning and forsight then to be scrambling to grab an unknown rookie 7 days before kick off.

They did plan ahead, they brought in Jon Ryan & Cory Carter to compete with Schmidt. They weren't satisfied so they picked up this guy.  At 1st i thought you were trolling with your comment on how 'careless' we've been with handling our punting situation, but now i see your serious. Seems to me they've done their due diligence & have upgraded the position. Have you even looked at this guys college stats? His punt average is a full 3 yards greater than Schmidt & his punts inside the 20 are impressive. Apparently on his pro day he punted one time for 85 yards.

We'll be fine dude lol

Edited by brianthomas
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, brianthomas said:

They did plan ahead, they brought in Jon Ryan & Cory Carter to compete with Schmidt. They weren't satisfied so they picked up this guy.  At 1st i thought you were trolling with your comment on how 'careless' we've been with handling our punting situation. Seems to me they've done their due diligence & have upgraded the position. Have you even looked at this guys college stats? His punt average is a full 3 yards greater than Schmidt & his punts inside the 20 are impressive. Apparently on his pro day he punted one time for 85 yards.

We'll be fine dude lol

I don't really know how you can be so sure of his success given the same folks brought in Corey Coleman just a few weeks back thinking he could potentially be something and they were terribly wrong. I'm not being hard on Bean & Co in general I really like them, I am just saying they arn't always right and you don't know exactly what you have until you have it in your hand. 

Seems pretty risky and careless if you ask me, and in general I just find it sort of shocking.

Yeah, in this case it may work out quite differently then Coleman did, and I'll be happy for sure, but still... the risk is there, and this thread is really about that. Pretty shocking to have a roster position in total flux 7 days before kick off and to ultimately settle on an untested, unproven rookie who has yet to play his first NFL snap.

Edited by BillsFan692

Just now, BillsFan692 said:

I don't really know how you can be so sure of his success given the same folks brought in Corey Coleman just a few weeks back thinking he could potentially be something and they were terribly wrong. I'm not being hard on Bean & Co in general I really like them, I am just saying they arn't always right and you don't know exactly what you have until you have it in your hand. 

Seems pretty risky and careless if you ask me.

Corey Coleman was a shot in the dark, given his speed & draft position. It was a low risk high reward type of signing. Upgrading the punter position is a different story. It's a different type of position. The ball is snapped & you kick it to an area of the field. Its the same thing anywhere you play. Theres no playbook to learn, no new terminology to learn. The only thing that you need is to develop a camaraderie with the long snapper Reid Ferguson. And after a bunch of reps in practice they'll have that.

As a GM your goal should be to improve at positions all over the field. Schmidt had a down year last year. His preseason performance wasnt that good either. Before you come to the conclusion that this is a mistake or careless, do a little research on the new guy & i think you'll be surprised. You may even think we got a steal. He was on the Patriots afterall.

• Like (+1) 4

6 minutes ago, BillsFan692 said:

Seems pretty risky and careless if you ask me.

Check this out, his punting in training camp was creating oohs & ahhs from the fans: http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/sports/20180806/rookie-punter-corey-bojorquez-if-getting-leg-up-on-competition

How often do you hear comments like that about a punter? With more searching you can find more info on him. But he set school records in college & tbh I'm surprised New England didnt keep him. Another good thing about this kid is how young he is. He's only 22 years old. He could be with us for a long time if all goes according to plan.

Ps thats it for me, i've talked enough about a punter for today haha

11 minutes ago, brianthomas said:

Corey Coleman was a shot in the dark, given his speed & draft position. It was a low risk high reward type of signing. Upgrading the punter position is a different story. It's a different type of position. The ball is snapped & you kick it to an area of the field. Its the same thing anywhere you play. Theres no playbook to learn, no new terminology to learn. The only thing that you need is to develop a camaraderie with the long snapper Reid Ferguson. And after a bunch of reps in practice they'll have that.

As a GM your goal should be to improve at positions all over the field. Schmidt had a down year last year. His preseason performance wasnt that good either. Before you come to the conclusion that this is a mistake or careless, do a little research on the new guy & i think you'll be surprised. You may even think we got a steal. He was on the Patriots afterall.

Oh I don't necessarily believe we have made a mistake with the change -- don't get me wrong. That part remains to be seen and I'm not attempting to make any predictions about the success of failure of our new rookie punter. 

What I am saying is that I believe we made a mistake with the way we handled this since the end of last season -- if they didn't like schmidt and were concerned about his performance then they absolutely should have made every effort to upgrade the position.... but they brought in 2 guys who could NOT out compete schmidt? Ugh.... that really raises a lot of questions about their ability to evaluate this position and find suitable upgrade potential.... Now I am supposed to believe they have found it in the waiver wire heap? Why should I believe that? I am EXTRA skeptical about it since the recent corey coleman debacle which proved to me these guys sometimes are just throwing darts at the board.

Yes of course you note that he played for the patriots -- that's great except for he didn't. I mean, the patriots didn't play him at all in pre-season and said he would have to "Earn his time on the field" (implying that he could not). If he's got such a great leg, why not even give him 1 punt in preseason?

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, BillsFan692 said:

Well I mean I would agree with you on the level but again, given what just happened with Corey Coleman I would say that he isn't always laying golden eggs, right? So in that case he kind of got it wrong -- even low risk, but still.. How can you have blind faith in the un-tested rookie punter we just acquired?:P

Need to take a chance didnt cost much and it showed he really isn't good enough. 

12 minutes ago, Batman1876 said:

The Bourne Punter Situation is probably my favorite of all the Jason Bourne Movies. 

If I could get that cool moby song to play when you clicked on the thread it would perfect. So many punters, so many faces, so many different threads.... 26CornerBlitz is going to tear off my head... 

Edited by BillsFan692

3 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Schmidt's issue was the team being able to save 1.25 million dollars by cutting him.  He was in a contract year and they knew they werent going to extend him beyond this year.  As such, they may as well look for someone younger and cheaper to try and develop.

Money for sure gets factored in to it for sure. But if Schmidt was nailing punts at a 48 yard average they wouldve spent the money to keep him.

Reading up on this new guy, he kicks left footed so returners may not be as used to the way the ball comes down. He also learned how to kick while dealing with the wind when he was growing up. That'll be really handy here at home. And last year he had 24 punts inside the 20 yard line with only 3 being touchbacks... Thats pretty good accuracy

7 minutes ago, BillsFan692 said:

What I am saying is that I believe we made a mistake with the way we handled this since the end of last season -- if they didn't like schmidt and were concerned about his performance then they absolutely should have made every effort to upgrade the position.... but they brought in 2 guys who could NOT out compete schmidt? Ugh.... that really raises a lot of questions about their ability to evaluate this position and find suitable upgrade potential.... Now I am supposed to believe they have found it in the waiver wire heap? Why should I believe that? I am EXTRA skeptical about it since the recent corey coleman debacle which proved to me these guys sometimes are just throwing darts at the board.

I hear ya but how else would you expect them to address that position? Any great kickers normally stay on with their current teams. Theres not a bunch of great kickers hanging around waiting for a team to sign them, theyre already signed.  Most of the good kickers stay signed with 1 team for the majority of their careers. But Jon Ryan if you google his name, he's labeled as A Seahawks Great. The Bills took a chance on him & dude was no slouch. They mightve been able to pry away a veteran punter from another team, but perhaps that wouldve cost them more money. More money than they would like to spend on a punter.

I suppose the Bills couldve drafted a punter, that wouldve been an option. But imagine what our fan base wouldve said if we drafted a punter? We had too many other positions of need to fill where i'm sure our staff didnt feel it would be wise to spend a draft pick on. I imagine during this offseason they figured 1 of these 3 guys would rise to the top & when that didnt happen they snatched one up under the big nose of Bill Belicheat.

But i'll say again, i just don't know what else they couldve done that wouldve been reasonable. And with that you guys have a good night :P

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, BillsFan692 said:

Well I mean I would agree with you on the level but again, given what just happened with Corey Coleman I would say that he isn't always laying golden eggs, right? So in that case he kind of got it wrong -- even low risk, but still.. How can you have blind faith in the un-tested rookie punter we just acquired?:P

I know wasting a 7th rnd draft pick 2 years down the road.......he is really going to need to scheme to get that one back ;) 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

I know wasting a 7th rnd draft pick 2 years down the road.......he is really going to need to scheme to get that one back ;) 

I think the point I was making got lost on you there, it was a very low risk move and who cares in the end. My point is that they were really wrong about him, couldn't they be really wrong about this rookie punter that has never played a snap before?  My larger point of course is that I consider this move to be more Risky than the Corey Coleman one, which was a very low risk who cares type of thing. 

I dont' really feel like the only punter on our team is a 'very low risk who cares type of thing' I feel like it's an important position, certainly not the most important but as noted in my original post, every position is ultimately an important one.

Edited by BillsFan692