The Punter Situation/New Punter

BillsFan692

This just feels strange to me, is anyone else worried about it? I mean we got rid of the guy we've had for 4 years, plus we got rid of the guy we recently brought in because we weren't happy with our original guy. Apparently as it turns out, we weren't happy with either of them. So we cut them both and 7 days before the season begins we sign a rookie (from the patriot's cuts) who hasn't played at all in any preseason games. The patriots said he would have to "earn the play time" when questioned by their reporters (implying I guess that he could not earn it?).

I mean I'm all for taking chances and rolling dice but this all seems a bit "slap dash" if you ask me. Every position is important, even the punter, and to have it in such Flux 7 days before the first regular season game just seems like "Wow, poor planning" to me... I'm honestly just a bit shocked by it all, scratching my head like "is this really how it's done?".

Seems wild. What are your thoughts?

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, dayman said:

We need to punt it really far b/c we'll go 3 and out all the time...apparently this kid can boom it.  Placement is great for an offense that moves the ball...but we just need to kick it 70 yards downfield.

But I mean because of the Corey Coleman trade I don't really trust our staffs "snap analysis" of a player and am a firm believer you just don't know what you have until actually have it in your hands and can see it for yourself.

So just as Corey Coleman proved to be terrible and ultimately cut, this punter may "look the part" to our staff but maybe he sucks too? I mean how do we know? Seems pretty risky to be going with this guy just 7 days before kick off as basically the only option on the team. I just can't believe it's how things are done at the NFL level.

No disrespect to our coach or GM, just WOW, that's all I'm saying=P

Edited by BillsFan692
  • Like (+1) 2

We've been discussing this in the other threads but no i'm not concerned by it.

The Bills obviously saw a need to move on from Schmidt. They brought in Jon Ryan, they brought in Cory Carter. Those guys didn't pan out so they signed this new guy, who from all scouting reports from his college years, he has the stats that show he'd be an improvement over Schmidt.

I'm sure they wouldve rather signed an NFL veteran, but from what ive seen, this guy has a strong leg. We havent seen him kick in the preseason because we think the Pats mightve been trying to hide him from other teams to stash him on their PS.

I'm not worried at all & think its a good move

Edited by brianthomas
  • Like (+1) 5

7 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

I got trust in the Beane

Well I mean I would agree with you on the level but again, given what just happened with Corey Coleman I would say that he isn't always laying golden eggs, right? So in that case he kind of got it wrong -- even low risk, but still.. How can you have blind faith in the un-tested rookie punter we just acquired?:P

2 minutes ago, mead107 said:

So we needed a new punter thread. 

Cant have enough threads on punters around here. I'm sure we're not done either. By tomorrow we'll have a few more threads about punters, just because people will be too lazy to use the search function!  But yeah I think people are overly concerned about us releasing a punter whose performance has been declining.

This new punter,  Corey Bojorquez has a leg up on Schmidt & because of that he's now a Bill

Best signing of the offseason!

8 minutes ago, mead107 said:

So we needed a new punter thread. 

Who’s the snapper? 

I get that it’s odd, but that’s what these guys do for a living.....or get fired for. An upgrade would not hurt my feelings. 

I’m having trouble following the logic of this move so close to season also. Distance is great but so is hang time when it comes to coverage and field position. I guess we have no choice so we have to trust the process! Hope this kid can kick because he is going to be busy!!

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

mead107

It's a refugee thing. :)

I appreciate the quips -- they are really clever. This thread is really about the careless nature in which the position is being handled, rather then the punter himself, or the position in general -- I've presented evidence as to what I see that is really quite confounding to me, and I asked others to share their ideas on the same. I think the thread is appropriate.

Teams do this all of the time. They cut and bring in new kickers all of the the time. The Adam Vinatieries and Shane Lechlers of the world are outliers. As Bills fans we have not had a lot of turnover in the kicking game for awhile because we had Moorman and Lindell all that time. It's standard operating procedure in the NFL. 

Remember before Lindell there was guys like Mike Hollis, Jake Arians etc etc. it happens.