The Punter Situation/New Punter

BillsFan692

On 9/2/2018 at 8:17 PM, BillsFan692 said:

But I mean because of the Corey Coleman trade I don't really trust our staffs "snap analysis" of a player and am a firm believer you just don't know what you have until actually have it in your hands and can see it for yourself.

So just as Corey Coleman proved to be terrible and ultimately cut, this punter may "look the part" to our staff but maybe he sucks too? I mean how do we know? Seems pretty risky to be going with this guy just 7 days before kick off as basically the only option on the team. I just can't believe it's how things are done at the NFL level.

No disrespect to our coach or GM, just WOW, that's all I'm saying=P

Schmidt doesn't exactly have a line of suitors... why can't we just bring him back if this guy sucks?

25 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

Should we be concerned about the punter change?  He's also the holder on kicks which is quite important and punting-wise you've got to be reliable and on target.  You have to catch the ball in crappy weather and in your own end zone.  A big leg isn't everything. 

This could very well turn out to be the oops moment when they kept Baby Gronk vs Felton, and immediately brought Felton back.  Coincidentally, that was also the opener vs Ravens.

On 9/2/2018 at 8:18 PM, brianthomas said:

We've been discussing this in the other threads but no i'm not concerned by it.

The Bills obviously saw a need to move on from Schmidt. They brought in Jon Ryan, they brought in Cory Carter. Those guys didn't pan out so they signed this new guy, who from all scouting reports from his college years, he has the stats that show he'd be an improvement over Schmidt.

I'm sure they wouldve rather signed an NFL veteran, but from what ive seen, this guy has a strong leg. We havent seen him kick in the preseason because we think the Pats mightve been trying to hide him from other teams to stash him on their PS.

I'm not worried at all & think its a good move

This is my perspective as well.  Injury foiled the Cory Carter experiment.  I understand that some observers thought Carter was beating Schmidt out before the injury took him out of the competition.  I'm assuming Ryan just didn't have enough leg left, and Buffalo figured there were probably some young legs out there that could outkick him for less money.  I don't think this kid from New Mexico by way of New England is getting paid a lot, and if the Bills decide he's not going to pan out after a game or 2, they can sign another free agent.  They're out there.

OBL 9/6: Corey Bojorquez on his path to the NFL, Dennis Pitta on the Ravens, Thurman Thomas on the Bills RBs

New Bills punter Corey Bojorquez discussed his path to the NFL and joining the team (48:00). Ravens radio color analyst Dennis Pitta gave us a look at Baltimore's changes and roster entering the Week 1 matchup (1:10:45). Bills Hall of Fame RB Thurman Thomas talked about Le'Veon Bell's holdout and LeSean McCoy (1:33:20).

• 1 month later...